• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Some thoughts about long term ethanol usage and tolerance to its effects

Renald

Bluelighter
Watching real time shows about cops I was always curious how the criminal, caught with 2-3 permille BAC is able to stand straight and speak so fluently, that it is not always easy to say he/she is so drunk. Remembering own experiences with ethanol, 1 permille BAC for me is good buzz, >1.5 permille - I am so drunk, that totally unable to look even close to sober. So, why some people can look quite normal on such a high alcohol concentrations?
The first thing I found is so called Mellanby effect - the same alcohol concentration in blood is subjectively felt much more intense if the concentration is on rise (beginning of drinking session), and effects are less pronounced, if the concentration is falling (after the drinking session). Seems it could be due to fast receptor tolerance to acute alcohol effects. But the same can happen due to long time tolerance (benzos are good example for this, somebody can feel as low as 0.25-0.5 mg of clonazepam, the other one is not feeling even 2-4 mg or larger doses and feels absolutely "normal"). I propose people who drink ethanol for a long time have their "normal" feeling when they have quite a large BAC, and they feel absolutely unimpaired physically and mentally, better, as if they were sober. Especially if their concentration in falling, when due to Mellanby effect subjective feeling is less pronounced.
If this theory is right, why then we prosecute somebody with a chronic ethanol consumption disorder if he is driving with significant BAC, when he subjectively feels better, comparing to the situation he is sober (and feeling worse)?

It depends on what kind of person you are. If alcohol shatters your reality yeah but I can drink up to 8-10 drinks before my day even starts to feels like a "high" or ah intoxication. I'm also someone who runs around on 2-4 mg Xanax with 0 tolerance. Never understood any knock out effect. but if I put my head down yeah I can fall asleep.

BAC just measures the amount of alcohol in your blood not tolerance. I've read stories of really bad end stage alcoholics having normally lethal BACs and yet still going into full alcohol withdrawal. Scary shit.

BAC just measures the amount of alcohol in your blood not tolerance. I've read stories of really bad end stage alcoholics having normally lethal BACs and yet still going into full alcohol withdrawal. Scary shit.

This
While working in a psychiatric clinic I've seen this. One guy had a BAC that'd land me in the hospital and he was starting to get the shakes, felt really bad.

One thing I wanted to add is that chronic alcohol abuse leads to the activation of an enzyme called CYP2E1

What is this enzyme doing to alcohol?
Also, can a person feel sober after chronic alcohol consumption with a significant BAC? By analogy, as some people feel normal using decent amounts of benzos.

The microsomal ethanol oxidizing system (MEOS) is an alternate pathway of ethanol metabolism that occurs in the microsome in the oxidation of ethanol to acetaldehyde. While playing only a minor role in ethanol metabolism in average individuals, MEOS activity increases after chronic alcohol consumption. The MEOS pathway requires the CYP2E1 enzyme, part of the cytochrome P450 family of enzymes, to convert ethanol to acetaldehyde. Ethanol’s affinity for CYP2E1 is lower than its affinity for alcohol dehydrogenase. It has delayed activity in non-chronic alcohol consumption states as increase in MEOS activity is correlated with an increase in production of CYP2E1, seen most conclusively in alcohol dehydrogenase negative deer mice.

The MEOS pathway converts ethanol to acetaldehyde by way of a redox reaction. In this reaction, ethanol is oxidized (losing two hydrogens) and O2 is reduced (by accepting hydrogen) to form H2O. NADPH is used as donor of hydrogen, forming NADP+. This process consumes ATP and dissipates heat, thus leading to the hypothesis that long term drinkers see an increase in resting energy expenditure.
From wikipedia