• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Some reassurance that warnings are overblown

buzzingsafe

Greenlighter
I know, this is a basic question, but I really can't find any sort of consistent answer searching.

I have a decent tolerance to Benzos, I mainly use them to come down from stimulant highs, after taking ONLY 20mg adderall for a night shift, I took 1.5mg Ativan at 8am to try to sleep. I slept for an hour then was awake anxious, so I took Klonopin 1mg at about 11am. Didn't sleep, went for a walk. Now its 3pm and I feel very mildly sedated but still edgy, still can't sleep.

I have a morphine tab, to which I have little/no tolerance. I was thinking taking 5mg orally might be interesting (I just want to chill enough to watch Netflix) but I've seen a lot of folks say DO NOT MIX OPIATES/BENZOS under any circumstances. But I see people take them together all the time. My concern is having taken opiates only a handful of times.

My gut tells me I'll be fine. Real talk, please?

Its probably not going to do anything substantial in terms of curing anxiety or inducing sleep. Youre basically asking us, 'im on stimulants and benzos, is it okay for me to be on stimulants benzos and opiates'. Thats your decision not ours. Hundreds of thousands of people across the globe do it, some for medical reasons some for recreation others because theyve been overworked down to the bone and this is the only way they can keep moving forward to keep working or its all theyve known since an early age(extreme example). However I'll tell you this - taking something like morphine while on amphetamines makes the chance of dependance that much higher, sure you could start taking a benzo and opioid combo to knock yourself out and kinda gain some extra hours during the day. Will it be pleasurable? Possibly. Will it be sustainable? At first, however eventually youll need to up the dose and the impact on your body and mind will become noticable and substantial. Will anyone who isnt looking to justify their own usage at the same time as not having your best interest in mind tell you this is a good idea? Most definitely not.

It sounds like you dont need adderall to work. Most people with adhd can sleep shortly after it starts wearing off.

Yes you are right about it being a potentially dangerous combo, but at the doses you're taking I think you will be fine if you are relatively heathy in general.

Fair enough, and definitely something I keep in mind. I try to take breaks from using anything at all... but still, I know it's not a great long-term plan.

I'm healthy - I work out daily and have a six-minute mile. Everything in moderation has been my motto

Last edited by a moderator:
You're damn right about not mixing the 2 dude, but at this small dose you will be fine :)

As someone who regularly mixes heroin, xanax and methadone. But also as someone who has experienced serious (near death, or death then back again) OD's from mixing small amounts of xanax and heroin. It's all about tolerance. You really need to be tolerant to the point of not being able to feel either the benzo and/or the opiate. If you take a dose of each, that has the capacity to get you a 'buzz' - each on their own - then you're playing Russian Roulette.

Basically - while it's an incredibly common and well-liked combination (benzos + opiates) - it's basically never safe. No one can ever guarantee you it is safe. And despite regularly mixing them myself, I still would NOT say that the dangers are being over-blown, if anything - you cannot over-state how dangerous it is.

I once experienced a near-fatal OD from as little as 1mg of xanax mixed with around 30mg of heroin (and nothing else) - this was enough to stop me breathing on my own and required medical assistance. On the other hand, I regularly consume 80mg+ of methadone, 1000mg+ of heroin and 4-6mg+ of xanax and loads of diaz as well - and just get messy, but no OD. I mean - it's all a question of tolerance and no one can tell you yours.

IME - tolerance to the benzo is more important than tolerance to the opiate. But lacking the tolerance required for either can easily be fatal. And even combo's you've done countless times before, can be fatal.

Which is why you can't over-state the dangers. Sure - it's not going to kill you every time lol, there'd be no heroin addicts alive if that was the case (we all do it). But that will lull you into a false sense of security - and believe me, the dangers are totally real.

EDIT: I just thought I would add something. I'm married and my wife and myself have BOTH lost a previous partner to a combination of heroin & xanax. The fact the we've both lost a previous relationship (loved one) to this, should speak volumes - cause that would be a hell of a coincidence otherwise. Both lost numerous friends too.

real talk; warning are warning because people have been hurt doing what you plan to. this isn't an old wife's tale, this is the reality of drugs.
i would suggest taking opiates for the first time on a clear head but i can't stop you from doing it regardless.

^ indeed
This too:
mostly-human said:
it's basically never safe. No one can ever guarantee you it is safe. And despite regularly mixing them myself, I still would NOT say that the dangers are being over-blown, if anything - you cannot over-state how dangerous it is.

The warnings are common and well known because a lot of people die mixing benzos and opiates.
We really can't tell you otherwise, because it just isn't safe.
People do mix the two classes of drugs, and they're basically taking a massive risk every time - and some of those 'risks' turn into life threatening respiratory depression/"overdose".

^ true dat
i'd also like to add that i'm in no way taking the high horse - i've OD'd twice from combining opiates and benzos
but was it worth it the times that i didn't wake up in hospital? in all honestly, no. because you basically just forget it cause your so rekt.
༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽ blah
just nah man, nah. do opiates when your sober so you can judge how much that shit works for you.

Yeah, to be honest i don't think it's worth the risk anyway.
Benzos tend to negate opioid euphoria IME
Dangerous and kinda pointless.

DONT MIX Benzos and opiates, ive had a schizophrenic drug addict serial killer looking guy who lives in his car mixes 8 drugs at once on the reg does nightly Meth and heroin speedballs all the time once tell me:

"Oh so that guys mixing Benzos and Opiates? he'll be dead in a week"

DONT MIX Benzos and opiates, ive had a schizophrenic drug addict serial killer looking guy who lives in his car mixes 8 drugs at once on the reg does nightly Meth and heroin speedballs all the time once tell me:

"Oh so that guys mixing Benzos and Opiates? he'll be dead in a week"
Not that I'd go looking for a guy like that to give me advice, in this case I think he probably knows of what he speaks. Sounds "real" enough for me to heed the warning!

DONT MIX Benzos and opiates, ive had a schizophrenic drug addict serial killer looking guy who lives in his car mixes 8 drugs at once on the reg does nightly Meth and heroin speedballs all the time

oh you know KSA in real life? ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽ hehe

@ OP, any update ? Did you try the combo ?
As others have said, combining CNS depressant is always extremely dangerous, even with a tolerance, as it's not as simple as 1+1=2 , but far more uncontrollably so imo never do it, or if you insist start as low as possible and only with a trip sitter