Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • CEPS Moderators: cduggles | JessFR | tathra
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Solubility of Aluminum in stomach acid

Bagseed

Bluelighter
Hello,

As you guys might know, the harmfulness of aluminum in the human body is under a lot of discussion lately.

I was wondering how readily Aluminum, Aluminum oxide and Aluminum salts are soluble in the digestive tract, because friend of mine doesn't want to use aluminum foil for wrapping food and weed, because he fears to absorb aluminum particles. I don't think that it's all that harmful under this circumstances, but I couldn't really find clear evidence on the internet and my chemistry knowledge isn't that big yet to make an educated guess.

what do you think?

exists

Bluelighter
A far orbit, where the radiation isn't as bad.
I don't think food or weed will be significantly contaminated by the aluminum foil. Unless your food is acidic and wet, there isn't going to be a huge transfer of aluminum going on, unless you fail to remove any torn pieces caught in folds.

Acids readily dissolve aluminum, and I believe that includes stomach acids.

If your friend is really concerned about aluminum, he should look very closely at labels. I've seen aluminum in: table salt (as a de-caking agent); baking powder; most muffins, cakes, etc.; B-12 shots.

Also, using aluminum pots & pans for food is a big no-no. My mom got aluminum poisoning once because she cooked tea in an old aluminum pot. I also knew somebody who cooked spaghetti sauce in an aluminum pot and left it sitting overnight. By morning, the acid in the sauce had eaten clear through the pot! Not good!

polymath

Bluelight Crew
Aluminum compounds are poorly absorbed when ingested orally, aluminum poisoning mostly occurs when intravenous injection solutions are contaminated with it.

Similarly, orally ingested manganese compounds are not very toxic, but prolonged inhalation of manganese dust/vapor can cause a toxic brain syndrome resempling Parkinsonism.

polymath

Bluelight Crew
^ The aluminum is probably just a contaminant that is difficult to remove, and does not serve any purpose. The amount of Al in parenteral B-12 solutions is very small and is only a problem for people with impaired kidney function (aluminum is excreted by the kidneys).

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
dont forget antiperspirants..

All antiperspirants have an aluminum-based compound as their main ingredient. If you look at the back of an antiperspirant container, the aluminum-based compound is always the first ingredient listed. Here are a few of the common active ingredients:

Aluminum chloride
Aluminum zirconium tricholorohydrex glycine
Aluminum chlorohydrate
Aluminum hydroxybromide

The aluminum ions are taken into the cells that line the eccrine-gland ducts at the opening of the epidermis, the top layer of the skin, says dermatologist Dr. Eric Hanson of the University of North Carolina's Department of Dermatology. When the aluminum ions are drawn into the cells, water passes in with them. As more water flows in, the cells begin to swell, squeezing the ducts closed so that sweat can't get out.
What is in an antiperspirant that stops sweat?

Effect of solubility on the gastrointestinal absorption of aluminum from various aluminum compounds in the rat.

study that looked at oral absorption of different AL compounds at different PH levels.

the human stomachs ph is about 2. but the ph of the digestive track varies quite a bit.

Belisarius

Bluelighter
Foil is not a problem; if it's a health problem at all it's as an ingredient (e.g., baking powder), as already mentioned.

exists

Bluelighter
A far orbit, where the radiation isn't as bad.
^ The aluminum is probably just a contaminant that is difficult to remove, and does not serve any purpose. The amount of Al in parenteral B-12 solutions is very small and is only a problem for people with impaired kidney function (aluminum is excreted by the kidneys).
Ah, it truly is a small amount. I have a bunch of 1 mL vials (containing 1000 mcg B-12). According to the label: "Contains no more than 625 mcg/L of aluminum." 0.625 mcg aluminum per shot doesn't sound like much of a problem, considering you probably receive more than that simply driving on a dirt road.

dont forget antiperspirants..
Forgot to mention that. I don't use antiperspirants for that reason, only deodorants (e.g. Old Spice).

Last edited: