• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Social anxiety/anti-anxiety/OCD meds (and depression)that don't make you tired?

Your psych / psychiatric professionals are the best to communicate with in regards to any changes. They can evaluate you in person and ask you relevant questions. They also are trained and can know more than random people on the internet.

Not that people can't make mistakes or that bad circumstances exist of course, or misinterpretations.

Of course, but if you read my last post you'll see that I am not the sort who likes to just walk into the office and say ''yeah, just give me whatever you think will work'' without having some ideas in mind at least of some meds that i heard about.

Lots of people do that and frankly i think it's naive to be 100 percent trusting of every doctor or think that just because the person you are seeing has been to med. school that with their busy schedules and in a short session they'll immediately remember every medication that might work for a condition or even know of all of them.

My doctor had never heard of Vortioxetine which she thanked me for telling her about because now she can look it up saying to me ''hmm, I've never heard of that, I'll look it up cause there's so many new ones'', and i heard about that from you guys.

She'd never heard of Ultra Low Dose Naltrexone which I'm interested in.

She knew barely anything about kratom and now knows more about it cause of me and i know about it cause of you.

I also doubt she'd have considered Abilify, N-Acetylcestine or however it is spelled, or memantine.

Doctors are not perfect and not all of them know of every single effective medication out there and it's entirely possible that one of you guys could have an idea of one she hadn't heard of or had temporarily forgotten about which i could then bring up and she could then prescribe it and it could work.

If we were talking about general medicine, like I've got a bacterial infection or something, then yeah, i just walk in and take whatever antibiotics the guy gives me, but psychiatry is a newer science and is not as much of a hard science yet as many other fields of medicine, and new meds are always popping up.

She will be the final say, or rather, she AND I, in terms of what medications i try, but from you guys i can, and already have, gotten interesting suggestions of medications to ask about.

I can't fathom what the harm could be in looking up some potential meds that are out there ahead of time, nor can i really understand those anymore who walk into a psychiatrist's office and just blindly take whatever is given to them.

I think it's important to trust your doctor enough not to be super stubborn if they think a certain med will really help you, but at the same time, i think it is important to have a healthy level of skepticism and question things and recognize that your doctor is human and might not know about certain meds or treatments.

Last edited:
Some background context for my post: I've had misdiagnoses and bad psychs (really, putting me back on a drug that I got hospitalized for, no thanks). I've also not been the most compliant patient/person and tried too many 'nootropics' and stuff.

As well as the guidelines:
It is of utmost importance to understand that this is not a site for medical advice. This forum is not staffed by qualified medically trained personnel.Any medical information obtained from the Internet should be researched and cross-referenced and ultimately discussed with a qualified health care provider.
Specific Guidelines for Posting in the Mental Health Forum:
Never advise anyone to start, alter the dosage or abruptly stop a medication. Abruptly stopping or inadequately tapering a medication can have disastrous effects.
Never advise the use of legal or illegal drugs to self-medicate. Self-medication can lead to larger problems when not regulated by a knowledgeable practitioner.
When sharing personal experiences, opinions or anecdotal information regarding medications or treatments it is important that readers understand that what you are saying is your own valid perspective but not necessarily objective fact.
Always remember that people may be vulnerable or in crisis. When posting advice, it is good practice to stress that the person also seek professional help in addition to the support of Bluelight.
Rude or abusive posts will not be tolerated. Mental health diagnosis and treatment is very controversial. It is a complex subject that we all feel very passionate about for extremely personal reasons. Always keep in mind that the goal of discussion and debate is to expand knowledge, not to contract it.
That is great that you openly communicate with your doctor and do your research intending to talk about some things, giving some respect for the partnership, the "she AND I" aspect of medications for more complex mental illness. The follow-up and explanations sound good, though a little black-and-white. I don't intend to say (don't do any research) and (trust your doctors completely because they are superior versions of ourselves), but recognize the value in following up with those who actually evaluate you. I mean to promote communication with professionals, however institutionally biased they may be, and express some skepticism on some self-evaluation and especially self-medication.

Harms can come when people become fixated on some treatments or in avoidance, when people avoid any treatment because they don't get the best treatment or their preferred one and then pursue nothing or keep the same. Some things take time and require consistent communication. (Not that I haven't stayed on ineffective treatments too long and that sometimes something doesn't work.)

Bluelight is a public harm reduction forum and not everyone reading may have your situation and your willingness to communicate with providers. I would say I don't. AMP as a mod may recognize that your post is read by others, who could take some things a certain way. He/She has to take a position supporting engagement with providers. Medical distrust and self-medication on a drug forum are pretty much the standard people come in with (understandably), and mods may need a strong message to return with in light of Bluelight's mission. Also working in the field drug-users writing off destructive habits can be an art. Not saying you of course I'm going on tangents. (I'm pretty sure I've overstepped on self-medication a bit, and probably annoy mods by stating random research inaccurately. )

I think some people treat mental health practitioners as conduits for drugs they may want, the 'I just need xanax and adderall' to treat say bipolar or schizophrenia. 'My meth is part of my healthy lifestyle'. Unregulated or deceptive self-medication by proxy. (Not that sometimes that's all someone may need, someone to fill the script, but in many complex cases that is not viable. People may not have insight into themselves or have delusional conditions, or harm themselves in the long run. Again, not that doctors can't have extensive bias or misunderstandings either.)

[I work with some physicians and even GPs sometimes feel like waiters (direct quote), serving up antibiotics as people need. (This is over-pharmaceuticalized US of course.) I also don't want to annoy some doctors by giving out massive amounts of information when the course can be simpler. Some research is still academic and not clinically relevant. Some clinicians may be more conservative or follow strict guidelines. Some clinicians shouldn't really practice. Some clinicians are burnt-out or in beyond their depth for a particular person, which doesn't exclude them from practicing for most people. I think this fatigue is a major problem in the patient-provider relationship and the medical industry is really suffering in dehumanizing patients and providers.]

AlphaMethylPhenyl is right to say 'We don't really know the specifics of your situation' and advise closer contact. Your post gave a good amount of information but when you mention three conditions and drug use I think there would be a lot to cover, and Bluelight is more support.

On average, I would trust a doctor's opinion a fair bit more than someone on bluelight around some topics. Otherwise I'd be boofing everything, I mean what...

Sorry for the scattered response. I also don't mean to be sarcastic or confrontational or whatever. Can understand the frustration. I think it is great that you are able to communicate with your provider and give them time to learn things from you. I'm glad Bluelight is available. Hopefully some things help, and best of luck managing the clonazepam/kratom.

[You write like someone who wrote particular philosophy papers/arguments in undergrad. Or something, haha. Deterministic, arguments, very either/or, categorization or whatever. I write strangely, even obtusely myself.]

Some background context for my post: I've had misdiagnoses and bad psychs (really, putting me back on a drug that I got hospitalized for, no thanks). I've also not been the most compliant patient/person and tried too many 'nootropics' and stuff.

As well as the guidelines:

That is great that you openly communicate with your doctor and do your research intending to talk about some things, giving some respect for the partnership, the "she AND I" aspect of medications for more complex mental illness. The follow-up and explanations sound good, though a little black-and-white. I don't intend to say (don't do any research) and (trust your doctors completely because they are superior versions of ourselves), but recognize the value in following up with those who actually evaluate you. I mean to promote communication with professionals, however institutionally biased they may be, and express some skepticism on some self-evaluation and especially self-medication.

Harms can come when people become fixated on some treatments or in avoidance, when people avoid any treatment because they don't get the best treatment or their preferred one and then pursue nothing or keep the same. Some things take time and require consistent communication. (Not that I haven't stayed on ineffective treatments too long and that sometimes something doesn't work.)

Bluelight is a public harm reduction forum and not everyone reading may have your situation and your willingness to communicate with providers. I would say I don't. AMP as a mod may recognize that your post is read by others, who could take some things a certain way. He/She has to take a position supporting engagement with providers. Medical distrust and self-medication on a drug forum are pretty much the standard people come in with (understandably), and mods may need a strong message to return with in light of Bluelight's mission. Also working in the field drug-users writing off destructive habits can be an art. Not saying you of course I'm going on tangents. (I'm pretty sure I've overstepped on self-medication a bit, and probably annoy mods by stating random research inaccurately. )

I think some people treat mental health practitioners as conduits for drugs they may want, the 'I just need xanax and adderall' to treat say bipolar or schizophrenia. 'My meth is part of my healthy lifestyle'. Unregulated or deceptive self-medication by proxy. (Not that sometimes that's all someone may need, someone to fill the script, but in many complex cases that is not viable. People may not have insight into themselves or have delusional conditions, or harm themselves in the long run. Again, not that doctors can't have extensive bias or misunderstandings either.)

[I work with some physicians and even GPs sometimes feel like waiters (direct quote), serving up antibiotics as people need. (This is over-pharmaceuticalized US of course.) I also don't want to annoy some doctors by giving out massive amounts of information when the course can be simpler. Some research is still academic and not clinically relevant. Some clinicians may be more conservative or follow strict guidelines. Some clinicians shouldn't really practice. Some clinicians are burnt-out or in beyond their depth for a particular person, which doesn't exclude them from practicing for most people. I think this fatigue is a major problem in the patient-provider relationship and the medical industry is really suffering in dehumanizing patients and providers.]

AlphaMethylPhenyl is right to say 'We don't really know the specifics of your situation' and advise closer contact. Your post gave a good amount of information but when you mention three conditions and drug use I think there would be a lot to cover, and Bluelight is more support.

On average, I would trust a doctor's opinion a fair bit more than someone on bluelight around some topics. Otherwise I'd be boofing everything, I mean what...

Sorry for the scattered response. I also don't mean to be sarcastic or confrontational or whatever. Can understand the frustration. I think it is great that you are able to communicate with your provider and give them time to learn things from you. I'm glad Bluelight is available. Hopefully some things help, and best of luck managing the clonazepam/kratom.

[You write like someone who wrote particular philosophy papers/arguments in undergrad. Or something, haha. Deterministic, arguments, very either/or, categorization or whatever. I write strangely, even obtusely myself.]

Funny that you mention philosophy, because yes, I majored in philosophy in college.

There is pretty much nothing here you said that I disagree with, other than the part where AMP said he didn't know the specifics of my situation and then asked me why i didn't want SSRIs right afterwards, because that part he knew since I had just said why I don't want them right before that.

I don't think anyone here has said to me ''you SHOULD'' or ''you NEED'' to take this or that, or this is the dosage you should take, or anything of the kind, nor did i hear anyone tell me not to talk to my doctor and consider her opinion most strongly.

But not asking for outside opinions or questioning things is unwise in my opinion.

For example, and I don't mean to come down on AlphaMethylPhenyl too strongly here, but he and one other mod were the ONLY ones to tell me to listen to my doctor and use suboxone to wean myself off kratom, whereas every other poster said it was a terrible idea and not to do it.

Well, I DID NOT do that, and wisely DID NOT take suboxone to get off kratom, and just felt kind of crappy for 5 days and now i'm off kratom, and believe that had i listened to my doctor and taken suboxone i'd have been in a worse spot.

I believe that mods like AMP are afraid to disagree with a doctor's opinion because it made lead posters astray, and rightfully so as that's a dangerous position to take, BUT THEY CAN CHOOES TO BE SILENT ON THE MATTER IF THEY ARE UNSURE.

I listened to everyone else, but most importantly MY OWN CONSCIENCE, in deciding NOT to take my doctor's advise and get hooked on suboxone for such a mild addiction as kratom, and i don't like the line of thinking that i should NOT ASK ANY QUESTIONS of anyone other than my doctor.

I am not going to be like that as i want to research things, but I am also not going to be stupid and think i or random posters USUALLY know better than a doctor.

There ARE a few things here and there we may know more about than her, like Kratom, usually we won't know much she doesn't, BUT...again, I am only using threads like this as a way TO LEARN ABOUT POSSIBLE OPTIONS THAT HAVE WORKED FOR CERTAIN PEOPLE IN THE PAST AND THEN BRING THEM UP TO MY DOCTOR.

No more and no less.

And I don't think that that goes against forum rules or has anything wrong with it.

I must say that I find AMP's style of posting and responses to me to be snarky and frankly, at times mildly arrogant.

I know he means well and believe most people here do, and I have never had to be a mod, BUT A MOD OR ANYONE HERE CAN CHOOSE NOT TO RESPOND IF THEY DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE DOING SO.

Were I to suggest i was thinking of trying something dangerous i think it would be time for a mod to speak up, but i have not, and i don't like being told not to question things.

And yeah, i get that others reading these threads might take things the wrong way, but i think this has been a pretty tame thread so far, with people just throwing out some random suggestions of medications that they have used that did or did not work for them or have read about that have or have not worked for people in the past WITHOUT SAYING THAT I SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT TAKE THEM...just as mere suggestions, and that is all i'm looking for.

It's not like i can't search the internet on other forums or articles and find the same info, but I like this forum and feel that it has some very intelligent posters who know things that SOMETIMES SOME doctors MIGHT not, though usually doctors do know this stuff, but they may not know it from the angle of someone who has used the drug themselves, and/or they may not consider certain ideas that other people might have, and yet, I WOULD NEVER be so foolish as to just think that some idea someone else had with no medical expertise is something i should go for even if my doctor says it is a bad idea.

All i am doing is using the medications mentioned in this thread, and i've gotten some interesting ones, to compile a list to ask my doctor about when we speak.

If she says any are a bad idea, then i won't take them.

It's nothing more than a list of possible theoretical ideas, and I see nothing wrong with that.

A different question, but i heard someone say that you can't trip if you are on abilify, and i like shrooms.

So if i were to be prescribed Abilify would it be impossible to trip on shrooms or anything similar like 4-ACO DMT?

If so, that would be a consideration i'd have to take into account.

Some people think shrooms or psychs don't work on SSRIs or benzos but i have found that have worked for me multiple times on benzos and SSRIs, but abilify may be different.

Ah, ok, the suboxone suggestion and that stuff.

I mean, abilify is likely to affect/ modify shrooms, though I imagine the dose is important as well as the specifics of the psychedelic.

5-HT2A antagonism (or is it very weak partial agonism) will affect some traditional psychedelics. I would imagine 20 mg of abilify might quite stop traditional visuals and part of the experience. Same with the dopaminergic (D2, D3...) weak partial agonism. I don't quite know how 5-HT1A partial agonism plays out, but probably modulates serotonergic psychedelics pretty decently. I imagine Psychedelic subforum has lots of focus on that.

Now, abilify has potent 5-HT2B inverse agonism, which while possibly beneficial in terms of that heart valvular toxicity seen in constant 5-HT2B agonists like fenfluramine, may change part of the psychedelic experience. At least in terms of the potency of some psychedelics as 5-ht2b agonists, such that an LSD-5HT2B crystal was used for x-ray crystallization.

5-ht2b antagonism modifies some behavioral responses to psilocybin, rats.

5-ht2b antagonists change hyperlocomotion induced by MDMA.

This article correlated psychedelic potency (by dose) with 5-HT2A/C and inversely with SERT. Less so/not with 5-HTB

Impossible to trip? I think even low doses would change the trip (activating aspects and vis) and higher doses would substantially alter it, perhaps even differently from traditional antipsychotics and some other atypical antipsychotics. I mean probably similar to brexpiprazole but yeah.

Ah, ok, the suboxone suggestion and that stuff.

I mean, abilify is likely to affect/ modify shrooms, though I imagine the dose is important as well as the specifics of the psychedelic.

5-HT2A antagonism (or is it very weak partial agonism) will affect some traditional psychedelics. I would imagine 20 mg of abilify might quite stop traditional visuals and part of the experience. Same with the dopaminergic (D2, D3...) weak partial agonism. I don't quite know how 5-HT1A partial agonism plays out, but probably modulates serotonergic psychedelics pretty decently. I imagine Psychedelic subforum has lots of focus on that.

Now, abilify has potent 5-HT2B inverse agonism, which while possibly beneficial in terms of that heart valvular toxicity seen in constant 5-HT2B agonists like fenfluramine, may change part of the psychedelic experience. At least in terms of the potency of some psychedelics as 5-ht2b agonists, such that an LSD-5HT2B crystal was used for x-ray crystallization.

5-ht2b antagonism modifies some behavioral responses to psilocybin, rats.

5-ht2b antagonists change hyperlocomotion induced by MDMA.

This article correlated psychedelic potency (by dose) with 5-HT2A/C and inversely with SERT. Less so/not with 5-HTB

Impossible to trip? I think even low doses would change the trip (activating aspects and vis) and higher doses would substantially alter it, perhaps even differently from traditional antipsychotics and some other atypical antipsychotics. I mean probably similar to brexpiprazole but yeah.

Thanks, but i get SUPER confused by this kind of technical talk.

No offense, but i think some posters like you who have a lot of knowledge of biochemistry and stuff like that forget that many of us don't understand what things like ''5-HT2A antagonism'' or ''5H2B inverse agonism'' are.

To me you might as well be speaking Russian lol.

Sounds at least from what you and others have said that it would be considerably more difficult to trip while on Abilify.

A guy in another thread said he can't trip on abilify unless he takes like 20 hits of LSD lol.

Would you agree or disagree that it would be difficult to really trip on a reasonable dose of Abilify?

For now, just having an opinion from someone who seems a bit knowledgable will help.

I am not dead set on taking any 1 medication, and i haven't done shrooms in years, but it would be good to know.

Thanks.

Yes/no | Would it be harder to 'really trip' on 5 mg abilify (given a similar dose of psychs)? Yes

10mg+ likely a lot more so

I took really trip as the exact full blown experience you have had before.

However, since you haven't had shrooms in years you could probably wait some days or a week for it to be out of your system if you were dead set on tripping. I forget the half-life but it is multiple days.

As for 2-2.5 mg doses, while you are lexapro and clonazepam, and the variability of some shrooms, it might be possible to have trips of some type, but likely different and probably better to wait a bit.

Did you trip on lexapro and clonazepam before?

Yes/no | Would it be harder to 'really trip' on 5 mg abilify (given a similar dose of psychs)? Yes

10mg+ likely a lot more so

I took really trip as the exact full blown experience you have had before.

However, since you haven't had shrooms in years you could probably wait some days or a week for it to be out of your system if you were dead set on tripping. I forget the half-life but it is multiple days.

As for 2-2.5 mg doses, while you are lexapro and clonazepam, and the variability of some shrooms, it might be possible to have trips of some type, but likely different and probably better to wait a bit.

Did you trip on lexapro and clonazepam before?

The only times i have ever tripped on anything in my life i've either been on prozac, prozac and klonopin, or lexapro and klonopin.

I have never experienced a trip while not on any kind of medication so i probably don't know what i am missing in terms of intensity.

I first got on prozac at age 14 and had never used any drugs.

I first used LSD at 19 on prozac and tripped pretty hard but usually did not get many visuals, but i did sometimes.

i first did shrooms at 20 on prozac and got lots of visuals.

Later on over the course of years i would say i did shrooms like 8 times and probably about the same for LSD, and Salvia a bunch of times, and salvia was the most consistent with almost always giving me visuals.

Shrooms would not usually give me visuals but i would still have very peaceful trips, and the next time i get some i'm going to start with 5 grams because i know from past experience that i can handle it, whereas LSD is much more rough and shaky and less peaceful for me, but more likely to produce visuals.