• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc So, has anyone actually gotten high off Prozac?

isntverysmarttbh

Greenlighter
I mean, I have 2 full bottles. I usually smoke weed but im on a tolerance break and I'm also really not in the mood for it. I've done benzos before, particularly xanax and valium and had an amazing time, and I know this is different, but has anyone else ever felt high on this? Just curious. And if so, what dosage should I start with? Thanks!

Yeah, I've hung around people who have.

1mg, snorted not swallowed.
Start there, if it doesnt knock you on your ass - wait an hour to be safe then add 0.5mg, and so on until you max out at 3mg.

Unless you weigh more than 200lbs, 3mg should hit a low tolerance pretty hard.

no. the poster above is thinking of some other medication. do not snort prozac or try to abuse it any other way. it’s a significant medication, but it will not get you high. it creates positive effects by building in your system over time.

I think other postures are polling your leg. Prozac is an SSRI an you absolutely cannot get high on an SSRI. The take weeks to build up in your system and sustain an even level. Taking it any way other than prescribed will do nothing for you (except maybe give you a life-threatening condition called Serotonin Syndrome).

No, it's simply not that type of drug. That's like asking if the potpourri in my bathroom will get me high. I have a ton of it?

Anyone who says they get high off prozac is either lying or falling prey to the placebo effect. It barely works as an antidepressant and even then it takes weeks to build
up to effective levels in ones system.

I know some people swear it is the greatest, personally I don't credit their opinions.
Never had a thing off it.
The fact you have to take what is basically a massive overdose of any prescription meds before anything is supposed to happen kind of tells me the risks fat out way the benefits.
Out of interest, what are you expecting?
I spiked myself once with my partner's anti depressants, thaught it was my
Colestrol med.
Halucinated like a bitch.
Take 7 on purpose, nothing.
Go figure

I am on Zoloft (Sertraline), have never been on Prozac (Fluoxetine) but I reckon this still relevant due to all three meds I mention are SSRIs.
My first SSRI (also my first ever real med) was Citalopram (Celexa). I was started on the lowest-dose pill (20mg). I took one and so insufferably ill that I just couldn't bring myself to take another. I also gave me a 17-hour panic attack (yes, really, they had IV benzodiazepine drip in hospital/
I immediately agreed to try another SSRI* and was given Sertraline (Zoloft) and was again started on the lowest dose pill (50mg). However, I was rather apprehensive of the previous experience and decided to only take half a pill (25mg) for a week or so to start. I don't know if it was because I starter with half-dose or it was just because it was a slightly different med but I had zero side effects apart from appetite reduction.
From day 4 to day 12 I experienced a fairl intense bout of Hypomania, so I'd say that technically, yes I did get high on it. But not the way you'd think (or by abusing it). I took it exactly as directed - apart from taking a half-dose days 1-6.

And, even this I think was just a brief period of hypomania as my brain adjusted to the drug.

Last edited:
Just a hint, if it's not a Scheduled substance it's probably lacking abusable qualities. Prozac can actually reduce the effects of other meds like Codeine and Tramadol due to metabolism effects.

when I was at the beginning of my experimentation with prescription stuff I tried getting high of Zoloft, the worst drug related experience I ever had, I took a pretty much high dose because I was offered them spontaneously and didnt have the impulse to research about them a little bit as I trusted the persons knowledge ( although I regret it now).

well after 2 beers I proceeded to go home tried to go to sleep and then the hell began. I started sweating a lot, if I would get my extremities out of under the blanket I would feel very cold and my extremities would shake a lot but if I stayed under the blanket too long I would start to sense so much heat that I felt that my whole body was on fire. after these first symptoms I started having diarheea, while on the toilet the next thing was that I started vomiting in a bucket ( did this a lot of times during the night ). while I was not shitting,vomiting,shaking and sweating I had a lot of delusions and started halucinating without realising that nothing was happening ( pretty much like on datura) I was on the verge of calling an ambulance but I tought it out but the second day I still had profound sweating and shaking ( shaking especially ).

So in conclusion this category of medication is not suited for recreational use, so if you try it you will either : A. feel nothing recreational or B. put your health at risk

^ Geez, sounds like serotonin syndrome.

Serotonin syndrome(SS) is a group of symptoms that may occur with the use of certain serotonergic medications or drugs. The degree of symptoms can range from mild to severe. Symptoms include high body temperature, agitation, increased reflexes, tremor, sweating, dilated pupils, and diarrhea.

yeah by the symptoms for sure. after that day I started to research a lot of drug related stuff because I never wanted to go through something like that again. I lived on my own and my grandmother was visiting from time to time as I was just a teenager so I needed some looking after, that day she was with me but fuck me if I could've explained to her what the fuck zoloft is and why would she need to call an ambulance. I guess I got lucky that I didnt experience worse and prolonged side effects.

some of these ssri drugs are the worst, after rehab along with some other drugs I was prescribed effexor, it felt like one of the most unpleasant and dirty drugs. although it seems like the step-cousin of tramadol it is and feels entirely different.

I have tried taking a strong SSRI "for fun" once, but I'm fairly sure it was effexor. The person who gave me it said it was the highest does tablet they do, god knows what dose. It was just horrible, felt a liiiiiittle bit like the come up on mdma, but with no good points: zero euphoria and this nasty, sickly, sweaty, restlessness to it. The mdma likeness was mainly the negatives or at best the neutral side effects like flushing, head tingles, and sweating.
These medications aren't any fun, don't bother.
Have a couple beers instead.

If it hasn't already been said, those with bipolar disorder can become manic from SSRIs. But that isn't healthy.