Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

SNRIs & meth/amps

TheTwighlight

Bluelighter
So for the past 3.7-ish years I've been back on meth after an 11-year hiatus.
What I've always been told about how it'll never be as good as it once was, was a bunch of bullshit.
I started using the needle this time (instead of vaporizing it), and guess what? It was much, MUCH better.

I have been taking Effexor XR (venlafaxine) since December 2013 for clinical, refractory depression coupled with suicidal ideation. This has been a serious problem my entire life, since I was about 7 or 8 years old, when I was put on Zoloft (sertraline).
I noticed that when I decided to try meth again, that the comedown was not as harsh as I remembered, and also, that I was not paranoid and, well...CRAZY as my friends/associates.
So, I kept pushing the envelope (as a heavy drug-abuser would be expected to, having just discovered the magical syringe after 11 years off methamphetamine). I never seemed to be tripping out like my friends did, even after 3, 4, 5 days awake. Now, I also smoke weed, and have prescriptions for gabapentin, clonazepam, temazepam, and others.
I should note that I realized, after a little experimentation, that I couldn't really feel the 'rush' of the dope unless I was on very low doses of benzos (or I would just abstain from taking them altogether). I should also note that I am benzodiazepine-dependent, but I do not abuse them.
I got to where I was doing .3, .4, whatever, as much as I could in each shot after a while. I'm not sure, but it seems that the venlafaxine and meth potentiate each other to some degree. I am not sure how, but I am almost positive.
In 2003-2005, when I was on methamphetamine, I was also prescribed dextroamphetamine, clonazepam, gabapentin, and alprazolam. I also smoked bud every day and was hooked on 2-3 OxyContin 80s every day, usually with 800-1600ug of fentanyl via Actiq lollipops. I was quite the mess. Also, I never used needles back then. I smoked dope, and snorted the OxyContin. This is why, with this narcotic soup, I can't be sure what drug was causing what feelings/side effects. I was on plenty of other drugs as well.
So over the past 3 years, I have been in and out of the worst depression of my life. If I wasn't on meth, I was taking 500-1,000mg of Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts). I only ended up hallucinating and tripping out bad 1 time that I can remember.
I'm curious if anyone else has had this experience with SNRI antidepressants. Please let me know; I am genuinely interested.

I had been sober (and in rehab, which I left at 11am this morninig) since August 23rd until about 2 hours ago, because I had to feed the beast. Nowadays, the Siren calls my name no matter where I am or what I do.
As I once wrote in a poem/song of mine, "Now even the voices inside of my head hide from me when they whisper my name."

I don't think that I really knew what that meant until I started using the needle.