• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Snorting subs and precipitated withdrawals?

festivus

Greenlighter
Alright, so I have been on about 16mg of suboxone for a few months now. I can't afford it anymore so I need to taper down with the pills I have on hand. I did some research and found intranasal use had a higher bio-availability than oral so it seemed like a tolerable way to make the most out of my pills. For the past few days I have been snorting 4mg a day (2mg twice a day) with no problems.

Yesterday was different. I snorted 2mg of sub at 2pm and I was feeling fine. By 2:20 I had a terrible headache that just kept getting worse. By 3 oclock I was vomiting non-stop and I had one of the worst headaches of my entire life. For 8 hours I lied in bed suffering (with a few trips to the bathroom to dry vomit because my stomach was empty) before I felt to feel somewhat normal again. The headache was like nothing I had ever had in my life. Today I am fine and I haven't taken any suboxone since then.

Did the naloxone some how build up in my body over the days I was using it nasally? Why was I fine snorting it for a few days but all of the sudden a single 2mg dose made me atrociously sick? I'm very hesitant to snort it ever again at this point despite the ability to use smaller doses.

I'd love to hear why this may have happened

I think you experienced a migraine, possibly induced by the sub, however, if you havent taken any other opiates other than bupe, you did not experience precipitated withdrawals. I get migraines, and vomiting is part of it.. when a headhache gets real bad, i think the body kinda panicks and vomits cuz it doesnt know what else to do. I have experienced something like this before.. and a lot of people report headaches on suboxone. i snorted it for years with no real problems except for what u described.. occasionally.. like once every 6 months or so.. no idea why// but i guarantee u its not PW. unless u used a full agonist opiate

Yeah, I was thinking it may not be precipitated withdrawal either but the fact that it kicked in right after snorting the sub and I never get headaches at all made me think it might be the case. I don't think not having any sub since then necessarily proves that it isn't precipitated withdrawal however due to the half life of buprenorphine and the short half life of naloxone. Once the naloxone is out of the body the sub will just refill the receptors. Thats why people who OD often had to get multiple naloxone shots if they are on a long acting opiate because after it wears off they will just return into the OD state

Last edited:
Bupe/headaches/subutex and ODs

^^ ask for straight bupe if you can. Headaches are common with the 8/2 or 2/0.5 sublingual and snorting may increase naloxone BA.

We (at my HR site and regional ERs) don't revive bupe ODs with oral naloxone for obvious reasons but I'm not sure about it's sublingual/oral BA. But I do know that intranasal, IM and IV are about as effective in reversing ODs, but again actual BA I don't know but it would be easy to look up. Do you get headaches with sublingual admin? I do.

So I get subutex generics from HI-Tech (that's what my pharmacist told me the manf., is when I asked them to keep me stocked with those vs. the huge useless tablets), they are super tiny, easy to micron filter any amount. I do not recommend shooting subOXONE, and I'm talking about generic subuTEX here. Many say it's ok to slam subOXNE, but the dyes and such???

The white pills I get are perfect for insulfation, as I do daily throughout the day. Timed right with my daily clonozepam and etizolam doses will give me a slight nod for an hour or two. NOT RECOMMENDED, but if you hit the nod, be careful.... I'm hoping to catch that right now after snowshoeing through two feet of fresh powder with my best friend, a very tired choc. Lab... April storms rock us hard in the Rockies. I digress... well, HR - don't go out and just hit snow like I did today, I came inside and thought I was going to die from a heart attack (I'm 45 - it'd be the perfect time for a surprise cardiac arrest).

As a note: I've seen three of the big vials -> 4-mg/mL, 10-mL vial - supposed to multi-dose vials, but EMTs in my area are well known to use massive amounts to ensure they get the OD to a hospital awake and speaking if possible - albeit combative and in severe w/ds. They shot it into the IV line of an acute bupe/xanax/alcohol/cocaine OD subject while awaiting transport to ER. It did jack shit.

Get this, it is not controlled:

naloxone-hydrochloride-injection-usp3-figure-4-ca-3248.jpg

Last edited: