• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Snorting after shooting

SdocC_Smith

Greenlighter
I'd like to preface this by saying it's my first post. If I am in violation of any rules (although I did read them over) or if I just made a mistake in posting, feel free to tell me, but please be polite about it. If there is to be any angry replies my way, just please answer the questions, then explain. Also, SWIM is very educated on the dangers of herion and the safety precautions necessary, he simply wants these 2 questions answered. Thank you all so much!!! =)

SWIM says he does about 3 bags of heroin each time in order to get the feeling he wants out of it. He's been thinking about shooting it. What SWIM is wondering is:

If he does go to shooting, he should (for the time being) probably only need 1 bag to get the same effect as snorting 3 (plus that rush or whatever), right? Is one bag injected about the equivalent of 3 bags snorted?

SWIM's biggest concern is will he be able to go back to snorting? Of course, he wont get that "rush" everyone talks about unless he shoots it, but lets forget about the rush for right now. If he does decide to inject it, and he shoots 1 bag, then the next day he does his normal dose of 3 intranasally will it still do the trick? I'm sure that if he were to shoot consistantly and then try to go back to snorting he'd need a lot more because of the rapid tolerance increase, but if he just shot it one time,...

like, say SWIM snorts 3 on a friday night, shoots one on saturday, then snorts 3 on sunday night-- would he still get the same feeling sunday (or close to it) that he got on friday?

So, I guess to summarize SWIM's questions:
---is one bag of heroin injected roughly equal to 3 snorted?
---will he get the same feeling,or at least close to it, snorting 3 bags the day after he shoots one?

Thanks again

It's too hard to equate IV heroin to snorted heroin; the duration and intensity varies wildly from person to person.

Using "SWIM" is against the rules here.

It's too hard to equate IV heroin to snorted heroin; the duration and intensity varies wildly from person to person.

okay, thank you very much. What about the second question? would the insufflated dose differ by any large margin (the same ammount Friday and Sunday, considering what happens saturday)?

its basically a guarentee that once he shoots it he will not get the desired effect of snorting it and he will continue to shoot it .

Yeah, this is pretty right on. While I.V heroin doesn't drastically chanage duration to insufflation (in comparison to something like cocaine), there is a definate difference, and I've always tried to stay out of the whole "which is more economical" argument because in the end, sniffing or shooting, your wallet is drained.

I would think twice about trying shooting out. Some people are lucky in that they never get into it, but I think it's safe to say the majority of people who have I.V'd heroin prefer it, and most of them will not go back to sniffing. I know I wouldnt (if i start back on dope period). Shooting heroin though is also more than potentially shooting heroin, I.V use opens the doors to a bunch of other drugs that if you get into I.V heroin, you're probably gonna want to try and shoot somewhere down the road. Think hard, but regardless be safe and start low if you shoot.

Everyone I know and have talked to (IRL and the internet) has told me this; "Once you go to the needle, there is no point in doing it any other way".

Why? Because once you feel that rush, and know that you can get more out of what you buy if you shoot instead of snort you're just going to see no point in snorting it anymore.

Listen to these guys that know better than me. I'm not begin preachy here, it's your life and you can do what you want. Just realize that you might be making a decision here that is going to lead you down a long dark road with nothing but bad things at the end of it.

Stay safe. :)

It's all been said before, but no, I've never known anyone to go back to sniffing dope after shooting it; and in the long run, it's no more economical than sniffing dope, really, so the only reason to begin shooting dope is for the rush if that's what you're after.

I can see where one might think, "I need to sniff four bags to get high, but if I shoot it, then I'll only need to shoot maybe one or two bags." But a week later, you'll simply be shooting four bags to get high, so you're back to where you started...

^
That's assuming you continue using. If you're only using occasionally it's not going to work that way. I will agree that most people end up the way you described. Though it wouldn't be as quick as a week to get to that point.

I sniffed bags here and there after I started shooting, but now that I've had more experiences with shooting sniffing seems like a waste. It's not even the rush. If you don't use too often there is a completely different feeling to shooting then sniffing. Even if I took a looong time off I don't think sniffing a single bag would drop me like shooting one would.

Plus the rush is pretty intense sometimes. It's also pretty sweet if you're sick and then go from being sick to higher than a motherfucker in 10-15 seconds.

That being said, it's still a risky decision to make. Shooting opens up a whole new host of potential problems and it definitely isn't going to help in terms of addiction and dependence.

No matter how much willpwer you have or how shitty you are at shooting I am 100% positive once you get 1 shot off and feel how the rush and high you will never go back. Not 99.9 %... 100% positive. The way you rationalize this? You are getting higher than you used to with half the $. SEriously, I have never known anyone to go from shooting to sniffing, it just doesn't work like that. Your brain knows how much more rewarding the pin is. It wants you to use that pin so much people end up shooting pointless shit like bupe just for their needle fixation.

Also, IMO sniffing just does not fuck you up like shooting even if you sniff a lot more.

It will go like this
day 1: shoot 1 bag
day 2: sniff 3 bags - scratch that - shoot 3 bags
day 3: fuick i need to buy more dope and needles
day 2000: damn bro my veins are FUCKED.

And yeah I would say shooting 1/3 of your dose is a good plaec to start.. I mean noone here can tell you how exactly itll even out, shooting vs sniffing, or what your face with the nedle is. All we can say is, ask anyone here who shoots if they regret switching to the needle, or ask them how many times they decided just to sniff tha bundle instead of shooting it - zero. I know peopel that will walk miles to buy pins before sniffing it just because they feel like it's a total waste (me lol).

In my opinion for your 1st shot maybe shoot even like just a half bag just to guage if you feel anything. I am only saying this becuase its your first IV dose (though I do not recommend trying IV.. sniffing is adequate.. you don;t wanna know what shooting feels like or you cant get it outta your head).

You don't get higher with half the cash. At least I don't. I use the same amount of heroin shooting as I did when i was snorting. Actually, I go through more heroin shooting because it doesn't last nearly as long for me. I shoot because I love the rush. If i wanted to be economical, I would snort because it lasts longer.

Why? Because once you feel that rush, and know that you can get more out of what you buy if you shoot instead of snort you're just going to see no point in snorting it anymore.

You don't get more out of it. You get less out of it when you shoot, because it lasts less time and thus you need to dose more often to avoid getting sick. Over the long run (and by "long run" I mean as a little time as a few days or a week) It doesn't matter at all if shooting has a higher bioavailability because your tolerance will offset it.

If you want to save money, snorting is the best way and space out your doses as long as possible. If you want to experience a rush, then shooting is the best way. After experiencing the rush, I personally could not go back to snorting.

^yeah man, i was living in a halfway house in DC for a whlie, and I relapsed while I was there. What I didn't know was that you couldn't buy needles in DC, so i walked from Tennlytown to Bethesday at three ocklock in the morning, and then searched around Maryland for about two hour's until I found a 24 hour pharmacy.

I think that it is possible to go back to sniffing in the begining, as I did because I didn't know how to properly fix, and had to rely on someone else to do it for me. However, after a month or two of going between the two, I somehow managed a rather sloppy technique that allowed me to hit myself, and from that point on, I never sniffed again. Even when I found out I could shoot suboxone, I ended up doing that for month's on end, even though it never provided me a rush that was anywhere near as good as dope, and I was doing pretty small shots too. My point is, heroin is one addiction, the needle is another.

It's all been said before, but no, I've never known anyone to go back to sniffing dope after shooting it; and in the long run, it's no more economical than sniffing dope, really, so the only reason to begin shooting dope is for the rush if that's what you're after.

I can see where one might think, "I need to sniff four bags to get high, but if I shoot it, then I'll only need to shoot maybe one or two bags." But a week later, you'll simply be shooting four bags to get high, so you're back to where you started...

This is exactly right. But I don't even find the ratio to be 2:1. I remember when I first started shooting, I heard it was so much more powerful so I started with a tiny amount and it barely did anything. I think that heroin snorted the bioavailability is somewhere around 60% and IV of course it is 100. So that means that snorting is only going to be 40% weaker. Not that I am recommending the OP use these numbers, it's always better to be safe and start small but my point is, even when I FIRST began shooting, I didn't seem to be saving much if any money. On the contrary, the significantly shorter duration I experience when I shoot COSTS me more money.

ANother difference betwen snorting and shooting is, when you shoot the high peaks right away and then immediately begins declining. When you snort, it takes about 15 minutes to peak and the peak is longer. I find it easier to nod when snorting (when shooting, I NEVER nod unless I do a huge amount).

Personally, I don't go for the rush that much. I do smaller shots more frequently as opposed to bigger shots less frequently. And yes I definitely get higher with half the cash.. What I used to go though in 1 day I literally go through in 2-3 days IVing.

And yes you do 'get more' out of heroin when you shoot. It raises the bioavailability. Your ROA does not change the halflife of the drug. I get that snorting may last a little longer but how would it be more economical when you have to use 2x as much. While I agree snorting feels like it lasts longer than shooting it's not significant. Personally I don't think the difference is that big.

I used to sniff 20-25 bags a day and now I NEVER use more than a bundle a day now shooting. And I feel better than I did when I used to sniff 2-3x the amount. And I didn't just start.. it's been a few years. I guess if you sniff 2 or 3 buns a day then switch to shooting and proceed to shoot 2-3 bundles a day, yes you just jacked your tolerance through the roof. YOu gotto keep that in check.. there is no reason to get crazy and raise your dose. If you sniff 2 bags per dose, shooting 1 bag should be adequate..there is absolutely no reason to change your dose and start consuming twice the amount by shooting the dose you used to sniff. That is where you run into trouble when you boost your tolerance through the roof.

I couldn't go back to snorting.. it just feels like such a waste.You can sniff a bag and it feels like you just sniffed sugar.. and if you were to shoot that bag it would actually do something to you. Same with coke for me.. once I shot that and felt the pure bliss it was like it was a totally different drug. Also coke has the craziest rush ever.. speedballs with a nice bellringer are pure bliss.

Drugs affect everyone differently. This is just from my point of view.

Last edited:
Yup you can return

SWIM has used IV then returned to snorting. You just have to wait a few weeks until it has the effect you used to have

^Please check the date before posting, this thread is 5 years old
And we don't use SWIM!