• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Snifferdogs at The Big Day Out - organisers issue warning

Now if everyone was to take a little baggy of Smackos (doggy treats) with them, and each time you pass a sniffer dog you gave it a treat, it won't be long before the doggies forget why they are there ... sort of like deprogramming them =D

bdo

hey somethin else to think about is that u should probably get there a bit later, so your not standing in line waiting to go in... youd feel alot better being able to walk straight in rather then standin in a line and u see some dogs coming towards you

Fry-d- said:
So far the sniffer dogs are just rumours. Has anyone actually heard anything about this? IF the police are planning to use dogs, which I am trying to confirm, I would guess it would be at the showgrounds or isolated to one location not on each and every train/station. Perth doesn't have a whole lot of dogs and handlers like Sydney does.

I would plan to take the train and use a bus like Benno suggested if your worried.

Don't get behind the wheel of a car if your impaired by anything, thats just plain stupid.

Hi Fry... have you managed to get a confirm on the dogs subject from the police? Cheers, LolLol

Only one day of waiting left people, its gonna be awesome!!!

Last edited:
I've spoken to a lot of people this week including the police and promotors and no one is willing to say either way. My personal opinion is that we won't see the dogs but I can't confirm it so I guess everyone just has to be careful.

But dogs or no dogs if your impaired by substances don't get behind the wheel of a car.

quick simple question:
were there any sniffer dogs at any big day outs - apart from Sydney??

Well it seems the West Australian contacted the police this week and asked the same questions with a better result.

Dogs Kept on leash for Big Day Out

Patrons at tomorrows Big Day Out at Claremont Showgrounds will not have to run the gaunlet of police sniffer dogs like those at the Event in Sydney.

Police will have a strong presence, with more than 30 officers patrolling the grounds on foot, mounted patrols outside, traffic police on the surrounding streets and transit police on trains.

NSW police mounted a highly publicised crackdown on dugs at the Sydney event, using sniffer dogs to check festival goers at railway stations.

Sen. Const. Nick Steel, of the crime prevention and diversity unit, said a big number of private security guards would take care of croud control but police would step in where needed.

People ejected from the venue who tried to get back in could be arested.

Taken from The West Australian 5/2/05

Good news :)

Last edited:
Fry-d- said:
Well it seems the West Australian contacted the police this week and asked the same questions with a better result.

Good news :)

I was just coming back on here to quote that article... Good on em!
Dogs kept on leash, the heading and the story seem to conflict though dont they? I sometimes have trouble reading the wests little stories... :)
Thanks Fry-d heaps. You're a champ.
Still my advice to everyone - take it easy... hope all have a great day!

yeah i rapped my shit up preety dam tight too, oh well better to be safe then sorry i say, have a great time my BL comrades.....party hard....party safe!!!!

BDO 2005 BE THERE OR BE SQUARE

yeah baby yeah

sssssssssssooooooooooooooooooooooo excited.

no dogs, yay!
except my mate did see 1 dog that was actually inside the venue.. but by the time he saw it he had eaten everything and was off his chops and started patting it.

Bump Bump.

Anyone have any new info on Police presence this year?
I'm sure they will be there in force as usual (Sydney anyway).
Just wondering what people have heard about this year???

roll@rise said:
Well, the problem is that the trains & train stations are what the cops are targeting, so you guys that are taking stuff needa stay away from them.

See thing is they're also out side of the gates as you go in. I should know I've been most bdos in Sydney since 1999.

btw its common knowledge that the organisers of the bdo are against having dogs at their events due to the increased likely hood of ODs.

Some kind souls need to go to the venue two or three nights before the event and "paint" the entrance area with bong water......... the dogs won't know which direction to look

Egg-pinion ONLY:

Sydney for sure, dont need to wait for any official warnings - NSW cops use them practically every second weekend.

Melbourne, probably the same as Sydney except they will most likely also be operating the drug buses outside all the exits. I forecast big police presence at this particular event - it is too good of a training exercise for the Commonwealth Games.

Gold Coast, went there last year and seen 1 police officer - he was standing next to a motorbike chatting to some girls in bikinis. This though, police operation of detection dogs have been cleared - Yep... they'll be there.

Adelaide, No idea dont know much about the city

Perth, based on last years exercise police will probably make a public statement that they will not turn up... Spliff on!

Perhaps mixing some leaf weed in with something like glue or honey and spilling it at the entrance so everyone trampels through it and all over the place. Lets see the dogs look around then.

Why cant they let us have fun, thats all we want to do.

Michelle_Chung said:
Hi all,

As some of you might know, the NSW Ombudsman is doing a review of drug detection dogs, or sniffer dogs. Over the past three years, we have been studying the way that police use the dogs. Eventually, we will report to Parliament on our research.

It has recently been announced that the sniffer dogs will be at the Big Day Out in Sydney.

We would like to hear from you if you had any contact with the sniffer dogs, particularly if you were searched.

This will be your chance to make sure your experience with sniffer dogs gets on the record.

This is not about making complaints about the dogs, it is about helping us to put together a fuller picture of how the dogs are being used and how it is affecting the community. If you decide to get in touch with us, some things you might think about first are how the police treated you and how it made you feel.

Any stories you provide are confidential. You can post to this thread or email me at [email protected]. If you would prefer to talk, or if you have any questions, you can call me directly on (02) 9286-0973.

By the way, if you are interested in finding out more, we have written a discussion paper on drug detection dogs. You can download it here.

i had a read of that and found this
Consideration of these materials led the
Crown Solicitor to conclude:
If police propose to use a dog in a public place outside the entrance to a public place
specified in cl.7 to carry out general drug detection in relation to persons in the former
public place who seek to enter or have left the latter public place, it seems that Police
will have to obtain a warrant pursuant to cl.8.193
The Crown Solicitor’s advice has directly influenced police practice. The ‘Drug
Detection Dogs Management Operational Guidelines’ quotes the above extract from
the Crown Solicitor’s advice194 and adds:
In light of that advice, if people who are seeking to enter a public place or have left a
public place as specified in section 7 of the Act, and are then in a public place as
otherwise defined, a drug detection dog cannot be used to conduct a general drug
detection without a warrant.195
In practice this has meant that unless police have obtained a warrant they will not
screen persons who are, for example, queuing on the footpath to enter a nightclub or
bar. Similarly, without a warrant, police will only use the drug detection dogs behind
the barriers at railway stations, where a ticket is required. Handlers have been advised
not to use the dogs to screen people seeking to enter either of these areas unless
police have obtained a warrant.

so wats the go when they use the dogs for example at the entertainment center for a rave on the people lining up on the outside ?? anyone shed some light

Last edited:
you get used to scenes like that at the entertainment centre. At [Event and venue name removed] dogs going up and down the line to get in is a common sight. Suggestion: get there early (to raves) to avoid the inevitable dogs turning up and sniffing you.

Last edited by a moderator: