• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Social Smoking efficiency vs. Coughing makes you higher bro!

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member
We've all heard the "coughing gets you higher!" stuff, and it may certainly seem that way but I'm not so sure. Coughing makes your eyes water and your lungs burn.... but I think people might just be associating that with feeling higher. Not sure.

I once read that the best way to smoke/vape anything is to take your hit and hold it a few seconds, then blow out a small amount and hold again, repeat. This is moving the smoke around in your lungs and getting the most surface area to smoke ratio. Makes sense

Coughing essentially does the same thing but you expel too much smoke. However coughing may also open your lungs more?

snoop dogg demonstrates what I speak of

what do you people think?

We've all heard the "coughing gets you higher!" stuff, and it may certainly seem that way but I'm not so sure. Coughing makes your eyes water and your lungs burn.... but I think people might just be associating that with feeling higher. Not sure.

I once read that the best way to smoke/vape anything is to take your hit and hold it a few seconds, then blow out a small amount and hold again, repeat. This is moving the smoke around in your lungs and getting the most surface area to smoke ratio. Makes sense

Coughing essentially does the same thing but you expel too much smoke. However coughing may also open your lungs more?

snoop dogg demonstrates what I speak of

what do you people think?

I agree with that method. If I don't blow a bit out right after i take a toke I always cough. Releasing just a bit of it in spurts ( as I re-inhale ) works every time.

I don't think it really matters if you hold in or not.. also a simple Google search, it's been mostly agreed on that holding in smoke doesn't increase the effects. The only time I would understand someone doing this if they didn't have alot of weed to smoke and were trying to get every little bit out of the smoke.
I see alot of "youngins" smoke a bong and hold it in for as long as possible before exhaling. I will always joke and say there's going to start a salt build up on the lungs from all the nutrients left in alot of bud. This is a joke BTW, but seriously holding in your smoke is not good for your lungs imo.
And even though snoop dog probably smokes some of the world's best cannabis, he's still a snitch so don't listen to what that dinosaur is saying🤣

I don't think it really matters if you hold in or not.. also a simple Google search, it's been mostly agreed on that holding in smoke doesn't increase the effects. The only time I would understand someone doing this if they didn't have alot of weed to smoke and were trying to get every little bit out of the smoke.
I see alot of "youngins" smoke a bong and hold it in for as long as possible before exhaling. I will always joke and say there's going to start a salt build up on the lungs from all the nutrients left in alot of bud. This is a joke BTW, but seriously holding in your smoke is not good for your lungs imo.
And even though snoop dog probably smokes some of the world's best cannabis, he's still a snitch so don't listen to what that dinosaur is saying🤣
when I was a youngin I literally passed out several times by holding in weed smoke way too long, lol

but we're not really talking about holding it in but rather moving the smoke around in your lungs

Welcome to BL

when I was a youngin I literally passed out several times by holding in weed smoke way too long, lol

but we're not really talking about holding it in but rather moving the smoke around in your lungs

Welcome to BL

As far as that goes, you don't even have to exhale a little bit. Just take a natural breath of smoke, and then take in a little air, hold, take in a little air, hold, take in a little air. Or just take your hit and keep inhaling air until you exhale.

This is really overthinking it, though. I remember when I was younger my goal would be to hold a hit for a 10-count, inhale fresh air, hold for another 10-count and then exhale. As I've gotten older and the weed's grown stronger, I've come to learn that all that's unnecessary. I pretty much smoke/vape like I breathe nowadays. Slow inhalations followed by an immediate slow exhalation. Still get high as a kite.

Regarding coughing, I've always felt like intense coughing fits are accompanied by a headrush of their own. idk if it's blood rushing to or from the brain, but either way I've seen stars and gotten light-headed as fuck after a fit. That might have a bit to do with the idea that "if you don't cough, you don't get off."

OK, I stopped smoking, and just use emprise nano drops now.
the reason is I did not like suffering the build up of thc goo in my throat (and lungs) - and I no longer cough.

if you have thc goo build up, i.e. unabsorbed thc droplets cacked on in your lungs, then YES COUGHING WILL MAKE YOU MORE STONED. It shakes up the little amassed globlettes on the little breathing tubes (the bronchi) which can be better absorbed as you re-in hale your cough.

the smoke coats everything, but only the coated bronchioles transfer it to the blood.

there is the scientific reasoning for coughing makes you more stoned.

Coughing does make you higher bro. It pushes THC faster into the blood stream bro. That’s just physics bro.
This does not match any physics diagrams, except for static pressure variance.

I know when I smoked, I had to clean my pipe a lot, because the THC condenses out of the smoke-stream coating everything, and we all should know not every tissue absorbs THC as quickly as the alveoli where blood vessels are located for that sort of thing (gas exchange etc). Changes in air pressure won't affect that significantly.

In all my e,experience I think coughing does get you higher but only if it's a proper cough a forced cough won't work

next time before smoking, hyperventalate with 6 deep breaths, then hold, then cough, then see if old loose THC gunk on your lungs didn't make you high