• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Smoking black tar and getting uncomfortable "surging head feeling" inner ear ringing

DeadElvis666

Bluelighter
Smoking black tar and getting uncomfortable "surging head feeling" inner ear ringing

So I'm new to heroin, and lately I've been smoking black tar with my girlfriend. (don't ask why we started doing this, it's a long story)

We chase it off foil and immediately after I smoke it I get a really unpleasant "surging" feeling in my head and a ringing in my ears, it feels like my inner ears are under pressure or something. It's hard to describe but it's a very uncomfortable feeling. My ears seem to make weird popping feelings like during a yawn, but it's accompanied by an unpleasant pressure that rises in my inner ears every 30 seconds or so. It's similar to the feeling you get in your head after a loud concert when your inner ears get that surging "wah-wah pedal" feeling and it feels like something really bad is happening in your brain.

I also get this feeling when I take Oxycontin (Oxycotton? not sure the difference) or Percocet, but it's much worse when smoking heroin. It seems to happen every time I use opiates.

It seems worse if I haven't used opiates in a few days. After a couple days of using H it seems less severe, but still unpleasant.

Is this a histamine reaction? Am I allergic to opiates?

Last night it was so bad that after smoking H I couldn't even sleep. Every few minutes I was getting the "surging head" feeling and the ringing ears/inner ear pressure which really ruins the high and makes me feel like I'm about to have a stroke or an aneurysm. Is there any way to avoid this?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Edit: I have used a lot of drugs over the years, but always stayed away from opiates, but my girlfriend has severe chronic pain so we've been using H together to help her deal with the pain. I have never had any experience like this on any other drug. I may have some moderate brain damage from all the MDMA, Ketamine, Nitrous Oxide, LSD etc that i used in the past. I've never had a surgery or been prescribed painkillers. I would like to enjoy the experience of smoking heroin, but the reaction I'm having is absolutely terrible. She doesn't have any bad side effects, however she has been using opiates for several years. We are both new to heroin. The black tar comes from a reliable source, and I seem to have this reaction with all opiates, not just heroin. I took a couple Oxys a few months ago and had such a terrible "ringing in my ears" that I almost went to the hospital. It wasn't too bad at first. I was hungover and dehydrated from a night of drinking, took a couple Oxys and had a nice long session of sex, when it was over my surging head/ringing ears feeling was so bad I thought I was having a stroke. It comes in waves. It will pass for about 30 seconds or a minute, but then it comes back for about 3-5 seconds at a time, like a wah-wah pedal in my brain.

Also, I don't really get tired or lazy from opiates. Last night I cleaned the entire house after smoking a bunch of tar, partially because I wanted to focus on something besides the ringing in my ears. But I don't experience the nodding thing or drowsiness. I actually become very talkative and have a lot of energy when I'm on heroin.

Last edited:
its normal to get energy when you first start using heroin, once you become a long term addict it make you more tired. i dont know about the ear ringing, sounds like a rush to me but it should go away after a minute or two if that is the case.

No it continues all night. Last night it went on for about 8 hours after smoking tar. I didn't smoke anymore after the first session but the ringing in my ears continued until sunrise.

I certainly used to get, and still occasionally get a pressure and popping in my middle ear and a sort of surging sound from oxycodone. It doesn't happen now because of my tolerance, I just don't get high on the amounts I take (120 - 200mgs per dose twice a day) but definitely the ear thing. I used to get rushing water sounds, like a waterfall crashing into the water below and/or high pitched ringing in my ears after IV stimulants mainly meth & coke, the few times I smoked crack (cleaned up coke very pure product no baking soda shit) which I prepared, and taking a hit of that was pretty damn close to IV due to it's purity - screaming/ringing in my head and ears.

I shot quality heroin a couple of times but that was 20 years ago now, and I definitely had something going on with my ears from the rush via IV but I cannot remember if it was like what I always used to get on oxycodone, if it were the same then I'd say it's a typical effect with opiates (I dare say it is).

Ears and my hearing are affected by many different drugs I've used, perhaps even all drugs, but certainly Cannabis, LSD, LSA, mescaline, psilocybin, amphetamines, good coke or cleaned up coke (the quality, due to cuts, of coke in Australia is poor at best, there is no way that shit could make my ears ring until it's cleaned up. The best yield I got from cleaning up coke was 3.1g from 7grams (1/4 ounce) and that was considered great coke which hadn't been stepped on yet ( Australia ), a typical yield after clean up was between 0.9 and about 2.1g. This Oxazepam has me digressing like a MF, sorry.

In short - my ears/hearing are affected in some way or another on many different drugs better the quality the more affected my hearing and inner ear workings are, so when I'm legitimately high my ears are popping, twitching ear drums, surging sounds in my head when yawning or moving my jaw.....but I can say that it has never bothered me enough to not enjoy the high, in fact it was a preferred side effect when IVing stimulants though like I said above, being that it was 20 years ago I cannot remember if the ear effects I got from the few times I shot H were the same as what I get with oxycodone

Oxycodone was very stimulating to me for about 8-10 months chronic use (chronic pain), but as tolerance increases the stimulation and euphoria fade to nothing and replaced with the sedation that opiates are known for, from what I've read here and elsewhere Heroin appears to stimulate many users the way I've described. It certainly did to you. Take care.

It's blood pressure related, the smooth muscle relaxation coupled with dilation of blood vessels results in the sensation described in many people.
Some Opioids are worse than others, Codeine especially.

<3

^Voilà!

Thank you Sprout, that's why you get paid the big bucks.

Sprout,

I was asking why do think Codeine among the worse opiates, besides being weak and not effective.
Some hospital will just give you that in case you are in pain like Codeine with Tylenol.

Last edited:
The more I think about it the pressure feeling and popping I get from oxycodone was really prominent in the beginning of my use\abuse, I would try and "pop" my ears by blocking my nose and mouth and exhaling as we do because it was annoying to be only able to hear clearly in one ear so I'd be trying to even it up.

DeadElvis666, if you are experiencing a magnified version of what I get then yes, it would be uncomfortable and irritating to a degree that may in fact be a buzz kill and not worth it. Sadly it will likely dissipate as you get addicted to heroin and your tolerance increases. I can only suggest that you don't try to find out and cease opiate use.

It's really intense... in my brain. Like I'm going to have a stroke or something. It scares me and makes it impossible to enjoy the high when every 30 seconds i get this crazy feeling in my brain like I'm going to seize up and die. Could it be an allergy? I've done lots of powerful drugs but only get this from opiates. Would taking an anithistamine help?

I would take that as a warning sign and stop before you get hooked and destroy your life. That is what will happen. I am sure you think it wont and you would never let it get that far but it happens fast. Do yourself a favor and save yourself before you make a very big mistake. Trust me heroin is not worth it.

Yeah I know everyone is going to say "well then stop doing heroin stupid" but I want to be able to enjoy it when I do it, if it's causing me this terrible headache/ears ringing thing every time I get high it's a pretty huge buzzkill

Like I said DE666, I reckon you will be able to enjoy your high soon enough once your tolerance increases, of course you will also eventually hate heroin because it's going to become a need not a want. You poor sonofagun. If only our future selves could go back in time to try and smack some sense into our non-opiate addicted self, if only. I actually reckon most of us would continue anyway, the addicts mind can convince itself of anything if there's a dose on the other side..."you're not really me coming back from the future, even though I agree we look and sound exactly the same and claim the exact same family and heritage, time travels BS and you just want that gear for yourself, huh, you can't trick me!"....Oh brother, go get em tiger.

First problem is you're smoking tar, if you want mild opiate effects pop some pills. Heroin is meant to be injected and I promise you that will work for you. Smoking heroin? What the fuck is that? 5% bioavailability? If you wanna continue to waste money smoking tar you could just send it to me so I could get good shit and do it the right way. *SMH*

First problem is you're smoking tar, if you want mild opiate effects pop some pills. Heroin is meant to be injected and I promise you that will work for you. Smoking heroin? What the fuck is that? 5% bioavailability? If you wanna continue to waste money smoking tar you could just send it to me so I could get good shit and do it the right way. *SMH*

STFU. Your an idiot.
Firstly, smoking tar works very well, with a BA around 60-75% (if done right)
second, why would you encourage someone to start shooting up? thats just dick