The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Small town folk

Joey

Bluelighter
Lets reminisce about our experiences growing up and living in small towns, for those of us who did anyway.

dont you just love how everybody knows everything about everybody? How its like living in a time period 10-15 years behind the rest of the world? Im just being facetious.

however, if youre in the community it is pretty tight and you make some good friends. Ive lived in cities as well and its harder to come by those really close friends for some reason even thiugh theres so many people. Id make connections with people for a day or a week never to see the person again. Its not like that in small towns. Your people are limited and theyre there always whether you like them or not. Builds a different type of character than the city life.

Yup I can go back to my hometown, go to the downtown bar and run into half my old people. It’s the reason I never go down to the bar when I’m there lol.

I grew up lucky though, lived 15min outside a very progressive liberal drug friendly town. So it was small town life with big city drugs.

Then there was the even smaller towns that we’d hang at. One in particular had no police and took the cops 30min to reach even if someone tried calling. Large groups of teens would roam the streets at night getting high, vandalizing, looking back I’d probably of been scared had I been a resident.

I miss small town life. My next move will be to one I’m sure of it. I’ve got everything I’d need otherwise and if I wanna see shows it’s onky couple hour drive.

-GC

Not really a townie but there are towns close. It's pretty country here. And some cats I went to school with I'm still close with. But going to the local bar is kind of like...I'm too heddy for it, people know me, but I haven't gone in a few years. It feels like you could get shot any minute going there. Classy joint.

I've never lived in anything that wasn't a massive mess of people and I gotta say that I'd prefer small town life, I think.

Big cities are cold. Everyone's stressed and on edge. Pissy. Grumpy.

Ok, not everyone but it's the vibe of the place, for sure. Once in a while there's a festival vibe in town where it just feels electric and people seem friendlier, but for the most part, people move here from out of town and think it's a mean city so they act the part and it puts us locals off.

Just my experience. Small towns are more peaceful as well. The noise and hustle here is stressful. Like actually cortisol-raising nonsense.

Big cities are cold. Everyone's stressed and on edge. Pissy. Grumpy.
agreed, it’s nice having access to various stores, restaurants, etc. but it’s cold here

i grew up in a small college town. Naturally had a hippie vibe and the drug culture was well established. Pot and lsd were the staples of course. Lots of people I know end up staying there and starting their own families. but these tend to be the people you’d find at the local bar. Not so much the folks doing pot and lsd

I grew up in a small town on the ocean. I feel bad for kids who grew up in cities. They had more access to museums, science centers etc.. but i didn't have to worry about being kidnapped or ran over by a car riding my bike. I could go to any house in my town and ask for a glass of water with no worry and usually got cookies with it. There was no hard drugs even in high school unless you could drive 8 hours so i never saw anything like that until i moved to the city for college .

I was born in a city of 200,000 which is considered small in California; considering Los Angeles County is the county West with 15 million people. My birth county (San Bernardino County) is the largest by land area and Los Angeles County is the most populated in the country

My mom was born in a town of 950 people in North Dakota. I still have family there and have spent time there. There isn't much to do and all the young people who've stayed there are farmers. I wouldn't mind living in a small town but it's isolated out there. I'm not sure what town means to everybody but I think it's 10,000 inhabitants or fewer. Just curious because I haven't spent any time in small towns that were right next to a city. If I did it probably didn't seem like it was small because of traffic

I prefer small towns. I could live in a town with 5,000 people. As a young person it might be hard to live in a town with fewer people but I guess it'd depend where it is. I only have relatives who live in that North Dakota town and some who live in a small town in Norway near Stavanger; which has 130,000 people

All depends on the small town, I’ve lived in more than a few and they all vary..

For instance some areas like North Dakota you could be hours and hours from even the next small town. You could drive 4-6hrs just to hit a Target lol.

Out west it can be like that too, that’s why Stanley ID is on the map but only has like 50 ppl.

But in certain Midwest states you can live small town but only gotta drive like 1-2hrs to get somewhere with good night life and all the amenities you’d need. It makes it a lot more doable.

Next are we talking small town that’s thriving or a small town that’s dying? The culture will vary a lot.

For me, my next town I got my eyes on is less than 10k people but is thriving with a younger population and a well known organic small farm community. 45min away is a town with all the amenities, and 1hr 45 away is two different cities with a thriving night life.

-GC

I think the allure of a small town is being sort of “away from civilization”. If I’m going to choose the inconvenience of not having stores near me and such, I would hope the trade off being near wilderness areas is there

If I’m in a small town surrounded by farms (like my hometown) it’s not all that wonderful. But being able to have quick access to remote isolated areas would be well worth the trade off of losing big city conveniences

. but i didn't have to worry about being kidnapped or ran over by a car riding my bike.
Neither did I and I grew up in Toronto.

I could go to any house in my town and ask for a glass of water with no worry and usually got cookies with it.
To be fair, the housing estate I grew up on was exactly like a village where everyone looked out for each other's kids and you knew everyone. It was like this through the 90s, and still is on that estate to this day.
In the middle of Toronto.

I think that sort of village vibe can be found anywhere. It's about the community you live in and its demographics more than location.

I think the allure of a small town is being sort of “away from civilization”. If I’m going to choose the inconvenience of not having stores near me and such, I would hope the trade off being near wilderness areas is there

If I’m in a small town surrounded by farms (like my hometown) it’s not all that wonderful. But being able to have quick access to remote isolated areas would be well worth the trade off of losing big city conveniences

I totally feel this.

I've lived both in the middle of this human zoo and out in the fields and at this point in my life, I'd much prefer the bush. City amenities are somewhat overrated....especially when your three fav pubs shut down permanently. What's the point then? My community centres are no more...may as well live anywhere else.

I totally feel this.

I've lived both in the middle of this human zoo and out in the fields and at this point in my life, I'd much prefer the bush. City amenities are somewhat overrated....especially when your three fav pubs shut down permanently. What's the point then? My community centres are no more...may as well live anywhere else.
I’m so sick of my city. I’m practically right in the center too. I have to drive 40 mins just to get to any semblance of nature. And even then it’s not like it’s real wilderness. Its a good two hours for that. But alas, i should be grateful for any opportunity I have for outdoor rec. Since most people have none

I’m so sick of my city. I’m practically right in the center too. I have to drive 40 mins just to get to any semblance of nature. And even then it’s not like it’s real wilderness. Its a good two hours for that. But alas, i should be grateful for any opportunity I have for outdoor rec. Since most people have none

Yeah, me too. I'm right on the water, just west of downtown. It's a sea of concrete jungle I have to wade through to get the hell out. Except for the islands and the Leslie Spit......those two are like getting out and are right downtown. Without them though it'd be mental.

The islands especially are a real treasure.

Yeah, me too. I'm right on the water, just west of downtown. It's a sea of concrete jungle I have to wade through to get the hell out. Except for the islands and the Leslie Spit......those two are like getting out and are right downtown. Without them though it'd be mental.

The islands especially are a real treasure.
Yeah I have the Appalachian foothills about 1 hour away and 2 hrs drive puts me in some real remote areas. Before I had a car to get there I was going a little bit insane...

My town just happens to be a part of Ontarios meth capital. Per capita my region has the highest rate meth use. Im in a deadzone. The suicide rate for youth here is all some hundreds of times higher than the national average. I just learned that from a social worker recently.

Yeah I have the Appalachian foothills about 1 hour away and 2 hrs drive puts me in some real remote areas. Before I had a car to get there I was going a little bit insane...
At least you have decent hills near enough....the nearest decent hills here are probably the Laurentians.....unless I go south, but that's a border, tough questions, and Buffalo......so......Laurentians it is.

My town just happens to be a part of Ontarios meth capital. Per capita my region has the highest rate meth use. Im in a deadzone. The suicide rate for youth here is all some hundreds of times higher than the national average. I just learned that from a social worker recently.

Fucked up question, I guess, but how does the suicide rate where you are compare with that of Nunavut, for example? Is it similar?

All depends on the small town, I’ve lived in more than a few and they all vary..

For instance some areas like North Dakota you could be hours and hours from even the next small town. You could drive 4-6hrs just to hit a Target lol.
True, although I don't know of any place that remote in ND. Where my family lives it's 2 hours from both Fargo and Grand Forks, but Valley City is a college town that's a bit closer at an hour drive. Even that place has just under 7,000 people but they have a Wal-Mart. When I go to the grocery store in Cooperstown, the cashier asks who I'm related to and remarks that they knew I was coming since it was in the newspaper

Fucked up question, I guess, but how does the suicide rate where you are compare with that of Nunavut, for example? Is it similar?
No not nearly to Nunavuts level. I think I was misinformed too the suicide rate here in official statistics is actually just shy of double the provincial average. Read the 2019 report for my county. It is the leading cause of death for 15-24 and 25-44 age groups though.

nowhere near nunavut holy fuck is that crazy where nunavuts at. 800 per 100000. Thats 8/1000 or almost 1/100. Thats way too high.