• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

⫸STICKY⫷ SLR Birth Control FAQ!

You have a slight mistake in the IUD information. The Paragard can cause heavier periods, 'tis true. But the Mirena tends to make periods get lighter or go away completely. The Mirena also has hormones so all the attendant risks of hormones are present (similar to depo-provera). The Paragard has no hormones.

since i only cycle 2 to 4 times per year most of these methods dont apply to me and probably dont work.

i'm wanting more information about nuva rings and depo... but i am worried about acne problems if i do.

i've just been using condoms and suppositories such as encare.. i like them, they are a barrier and lubricant, and spermicide in one... and can be used with a condom...

I had the nuva ring, and it didnt make me break out or gain weight, the pill did however.
I didnt really like the nuva ring though it would sometimes come out when I had sex :S.. and my boyfriend could feel it which I didnt really like lol

I was on the pill (Loestrin, I believe) for about 9 months, and at first it was totally fine (except for the fact that I gained about 15 pounds), and it really helped cramps which was great. After about 3 months my periods started to get really irregular and I would get it randomly during the month instead of when I was on the sugar pills. And then my sex drive went away. And then the mood swings started. When I went off of it I didn't lose any of that weight, but the mood swings got better, my periods were regular again, and my sex drive definitely returned. I don't recommend the pill, but that's just me.

Depo provera

I was on Depo for almost 3yrs. I didnt gain weight, after the 3rd shot NO period, but i started hearing horror stories about women who tried to get pregnant after stopping depo and a lot of them had lost fertility. I switched back to the pill (ortho) and gain 40lbs. I would like to go back on depo but im scared I wouldnt be able to have kids.:?

I was on Depo for almost 3yrs. I didnt gain weight, after the 3rd shot NO period, but i started hearing horror stories about women who tried to get pregnant after stopping depo and a lot of them had lost fertility. I switched back to the pill (ortho) and gain 40lbs. I would like to go back on depo but im scared I wouldnt be able to have kids.:?

You'll hear the same stories about the pill. People are scared of taking hormones. But if Depo worked for you, then I'd go back to it.

I think theres a limit for how long you can use depo as your method, idk, im sure i dont want kids now, but in the future i want nothing more than to be a mom.

I wouldn't worry about it. I was on birth control for about 3 years, and I went off of it to try a diaphragm because of all the bullshit I heard. That's when I had my oopsie. :\ I was 20-21 when it happened. I got preggers like the very next month after I went off of it.

I actually went off of BC for the last 3 months and holy shit I was horny as hell especially for the last 2 months. I just went back on it, because I'm back in a relationship. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but it's better than an ooops again.

I think this should include the Pull out method....... because seriously it is still one of the most highly used methods out there (even though the percentage of pregnancy very HIGHLY) it has in fact, ALLWAYs worked for me....

but that is also because of some other factors on my part (like Masturbating frequently to lower pre ejaculation rate) and knowing exactly when to pull out

not trying to sound arrogant, and i totally know the risks involved but this is still a "Accepted" pregnancy prevention method for the Educated and Non-educated

I started oral birth control a month ago and I LOVE IT! People can actually stand to be around me, when before I was in horrible moods 2 weeks a month. Im terrified of gaining weight- but nothing so far. I'm thinking about getting a diaphragm as well, for extra protection. My boyfriend refuses to wear a condom or use spermicide, because "it doesn't feel real".... Uh, isn't spermicide basically lube? Apparently the only birth control we can use is stuff he doesn't even realize were using. I'm interested in a diaphragm and the procedures for getting one, or if the doctor would even give me one since I'm on the pill already.

Iv been on various contraceptive methods in these past years from the mini pill,the full pill and the coil.Iv always suffered one way or another with my monthlys i either get them to often or not atall or im very heavy.I had the coil fitted after my youngest son was born and after about 6 months completely stopped bleeding as the gp advised me i probably would do so but then out of the blue i started to bleed lightly at first and just a few days at a time but then i was bleeding every single day and it became pretty heavy.I felt so drained because of this so therefore i was advised to have it removed and im now back on the mini pill up to now so far so good!my peiods arnt really regular but do bleed every couple of months a bit but most of all im not getting caught pregnant it would be such a bad thing to do at the moment especially.I would really love to try for another baby one day if and when the time was right as well as being in serious relationship.
I started oral birth control a month ago and I LOVE IT! People can actually stand to be around me, when before I was in horrible moods 2 weeks a month. Im terrified of gaining weight- but nothing so far. I'm thinking about getting a diaphragm as well, for extra protection. My boyfriend refuses to wear a condom or use spermicide, because "it doesn't feel real".... Uh, isn't spermicide basically lube? Apparently the only birth control we can use is stuff he doesn't even realize were using. I'm interested in a diaphragm and the procedures for getting one, or if the doctor would even give me one since I'm on the pill already.

I had the depo and I bled for 3 months straight....... ugh....... and as far as the morning after pill well lets just say I have a million things I would rather spend 40$ on than a pill ( although it is cheaper than a kid) Now I am on the pill and I keep forgetting it or I just had a problem getting my scrip and IDK how many to take I as supposed to start it sunday... Advice?

Lots of BC info

Depo post- use depo if it works, Take time off after a year or two and switch to something else for 6 mos to a year if worried about future fertility.

First let me respond about hormonal methods- my mom was told after about 8 years on the pill she couldn't get pregnant. Three months later she was preg with me. Missing pills makes you MORE fertile than if you never took them, DO use a back up method until you are safe, call planned parenthood if you need free advice! I have a friend that missed 3 and boom pregnant right after.

Pills need to be taken daily and AT THE SAME TIME EVERYDAY to be most effective. Set an alarm on your phone if you are able!

I couldn't use hormonal methods well, I have migraines that worsened with BC. I tried Lo Ovral with success but it made me b*tchy and I didn't know ho wmuch until i quit. Many friends have had same experience, but others had no problems. Many did have weight gain, sometimes extreme.Do what works for you.

So, here is some info, mixed with my experiences & that of friends. A female pov. Hope it is helpful:
What I have tried:
Condoms- best protection from STD's including HIV. Buy the right size store properly and actually read instructions, and you're likely to never have an oops. I have used without incident for at least 10 reproductive years and when I wanted to I got pregnant within 6 weeks, so no fertility issues. Never have had one break (crossing fingers). However, size of condom and type matters for comfort and feeling more like wearing nothing at all. Condoms that fit are less likely to break and way more likely to feel good. Even if shunned before due to discomfort, the right condom can make all the difference and keep you STD and baby free. You can find charts online that suggest what condom brand is good depending on size. This link shows how to measure and other info: http://www.condom-sizes.org/condom-sizes/condom-sizes#more-4
Here is a long chart, many brands. listed by size on their site: http://www.condom-sizes.org/condom-size-chart/condom-size-chart

From that site, a good survey was quoted. It shows how important sizing right is, and how many men don't find teh right size:
Condom size survey
A survey made by Durex, reported that the length of an erect penis can range from 4 to 9 inches, while penis width varies from 1 inch to 2 inches (and more). From nearly 3000 survey respondents 50% felt that the regular condoms didn’t fit properly:
- 25% of them complained that the condoms were “too tight”
- for 10% condoms were “much too tight”
- for 15% condoms were “too loose”
44% reported they had experienced condom slip or break in the past.
Now, that we covered why it is important to choose the best fit, lets see how to choose it

For Latex allergies and better condoms too: GREAT new brands like SKYN condoms use Polyisoprene rather than latex - they conduct heat better, feel better, and consensus from partner and friends is feels really close to au naturel. Also good are the polyurethane condoms like Trojan Supra. Good for those with allergies to latex too.

Note:Once heard a guy brag about figuring out how to break them with his movements, so he didn't have to wear them. He'd been around. Later ended up spreading around the clap and got herpes, no joke- I lived in a small town then so nothing stayed secret. But this was his method so he didn't have to use them long. Sleezy sob, but be aware.

Nonoxynol 9 lubricated condoms have been found to be LESS effective in some studies (condoms with spermicide). One possible reason is some people may get micro cuts etc in reasponse to irritation from it.

Which leads into spermicides, all nonoxynol 9. None are as effective as most other methods. Best used with diaphragm, no STD protection.
Encare - tried, can be messy, had a partner that had irritation, had to discontinue
VCF- same as above. VERY portable, works.
Todays sponge- comfortable, people like it, not very effective.

Diaphram- no personal experience, have a gf who loves hers
Cervical cap- only friend I know who used one found it ineffective (preg within 6 mos.) Stats show not very effective.

IUDS- have friend with Mirena, no real problems but increased cramps. Another friend with copper, she has heavy bleeding with periods. Increases STD risk. Only a good method if in long term monogamous relationship and be damn sure as you will likely get an STD if your partner brings it home...

Effectiveness of Birth Control Methods can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_birth_control_methods

Natural Birth Control: of course withdrawal can work, coitus interruptus, but takes lots of self control and preejaculate may have sperm as well and it only takes one to make a party of two a party of 3.

Advanced natural birth control: Use calendar method (can be found online). Charting temperature can let you know when you ovulate, but you should have abstained 7 days before and a few days post. Cervical mucus changes can confirm ovulation.

Combining hormonal methods: Use the pill, path, depo, etc. AND condom for STD protection.

Combining non hormonal methods: Know you or your partners menstrual cycle length. Chart over a few months, this gives an average. Natural methods won't work if you are irregular. Learn to chart cervical mucus and temp. Between these you will earn the danger zone times. During those times, condoms or abstinence are best. DO NOT USE WITH SHORT TERM PARTNERS, this should be in a LTR where both partners have been tested and are CLEAN. http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/symptothermal-method-22142.htm
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/natural-family-planning-using-the-symptothermal-me.html

Personally I use time of period plus sometimes a few days before as condom free if I am POSITIVE about dates etc, and use them the rest of the time. OR I may use spermicides like VCF but only during low risk times. But I am in a monogamous LTR and both of us have been tested. So far, no failures.

Planned parenthood will give low cost free birth control. Most colleges have condoms in a bowl at the counter of their health clinic, help yourself just act llike you belong. Look up places to get free condoms.

As an aside, I like of the latex brands Class Act- actually well rated and cheap, Crown (cheap on Amazon but be warned, ones I ordered were red a put off to some) - these are thin but strong and preferred by adult industry.
Non latex are my favs but expensive like SKYN Polyisoprene condoms,
Polyurethane also is good for feeling, temp sensitive etc. Trojan Supra etc. Walmart has a good deal on the Trojan Supras usually.

With condoms, read ratings, store properly and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. It seems straightforward but one study of hundreds of people in the US found about 74% were using improperly!!!!! Used properly, with right size, you are pretty well covered. Its sizing issues, storage issues, and failure to use right that cause problems. This is probably the cheapest method to use for BC and prevents STDs. Finding the right fit can make this well worth being a preferred method. The wrong fit is awful and doesnt feel good at all...

Last edited:
Proper condom use guide

How to PROPERLY use a condom
Get the right condom - check size charts and choose proper type of condom. Its like buying clothes, if you are a size 2 and buy a size 12, your clothes are going to be a baggy mess that may fall off. On the other hand, if you are a size 12 trying to wear a size 2, its gonna be painful if you get it on at all, and may rip.

How to measure for right size and basic size info: http://www.condom-sizes.org/condom-sizes/condom-sizes#more-4
Size charts and recommended condoms: http://www.condom-sizes.org/condom-size-chart/condom-size-chart

Get ready. Make sure your condoms are fresh -- check the expiration date. Throw away condoms that have expired, been kept at anything but room temp (hot or cold), carried around in your wallet, or washed in the washer. If you think the condom might not be good, get a new one. You and your partner are worth it.

The penis has to be hard before you put a condom on it.

Open it. Tear open the package carefully, so you don't rip the condom. Careful if you use your teeth.

If the penis is uncut (uncircumcised), pull the foreskin back first.

Make sure the condom is right side out. It's like a sock: there's a right side and wrong side. First unroll it about half an inch to see in which direction it is unrolling. Then put it on. It should unroll easily down your dick. If you start off wrong, try again with a new condom. You'll see when you practice.

Hold the top half-inch of the condom between your fingers when you roll it down. This keeps out air bubbles, which can cause the condom to break. It also leaves a space at the end for the cum.

Roll the condom down as far as it will go. It should reach the base of the penis near the balls

For anal intercourse, use lots of lube. Water-based lube is great for vaginal intercourse, too. Put the lube on after you put on the condom, not before -- the condom could slip off. Add more lube often. Dry condoms break more easily.

Guys -Pull out asap, while you are still hard and DO NOT thrust after cumming as you may not be very erect and this may cause the condom to slip or come off. When you pull out, be sure to hold the condom near your balls so it doesn't slip off. If you cant reach, ask for help and be sur eyour partner has a good hold on it and is keeping it on. This is a common mistake, and not doing this can make cum leak, missing the whole point of the condom. Take the condom off only after you are completely out of your partner.

Throw out the used condom right away. Typing off can prevent a mess. Flushing may plus toilet, not recommended. Use a condom only once. Never use the same condom for vaginal and anal intercourse. Wash penis and balls (the whole area) thoroughly with soap and water before attempting to use another condom for another act of intercourse. This is also a common mistake, as sperm may spread around when removing condom and again this defeats the purpose.

Of course: Never use a condom that has been in, or used by someone else. Never cum more than once in the same condom.

What a great thread.
I've had a non-hormonal IUD (v, not T) for years, highly recommend it.

I wish there was a pill for men and Im a man. That would be awesome. No one put the pull out method on the list. My father said to me "Son the pull-out method is under-rated and thats simply because guys just dont pull out and than say they do, you must pull out, if you want the woman not to get pregnant. If you use a condom flush it down the toilet, so she doesnt get a hold of your baby batter and if you bust in her mouth make sure she swallows it. If you heed my advice you wont catch KIDS." He then went on to say "If you get a girl pregnant, you dont have to marry her, you just have to give her alot of money for 18 years, sometimes its worth it, my first divorce was priceless." That was the talk.

Pill for men would be great but the rest of your paragraph's kinda awful and mysogynistic mate... :\
That's not 'the talk', that's alarmingly sexist. I hope you're not actually serious about it.

Well unfortunatly that was the "talk" I got when it came to sex. When I read your response I felt like some sort of creep. It kinda made me question alot of advice I received from my father. He shouldnt have been saying stuff like that to me when I was growing up and I certainly hope I dont have that core value system. I always would kind of laugh at how fucked up the stuff he said was, but maybe its not funny. Im sorry to get off topic, its just that pagey's response kinda made me question myself a bit.

Last edited:
Don't apologise, that's what this forum is here for really...and neither should you feel like a creep. Especially since my short answer was enough to get you reconsidering what he told you - that's quite an achievement. Don't question yourself, just those particular thoughts. It's never too late to move away from them :)

personally if they made a pill for men, I wouldn't take it as that would mean the testes would have to stop producing viable sperm in some way. I'd fear permanent sterility because this method in fact would render the male temporarily sterile. now an installable valve would be cool :p
for men, orgasn usually involves ejaculating which results in the male expelling his gametes (sex cells) while a woman reaching orgasn has nothing to do with her gametes being produced or released. this would mean something would have to block the sperm from exits the vas deferens (such as vasectomy or hypothetical valve I mentioned) or a way to knock out sperm production. a pill would only work for the ladder thus rending a male sterile. not something I'd want to mess with. though apparently male birth control is in trials I believe.