• N&PD Moderators: sekio | S.J.P.

slow tolerance forming benzodiazepines

markosheehan

Bluelighter
hi

which benzodiazepines form tolerance to the anxiolytic effects most slowly?
If someone knew a study looking at this I would really appreciate it.

AlphaMethylPhenyl

Moderator: MH
Staff member
It's debatable that that tolerance develops.

The US is much more, overall, to allow long-term benzo use than Europe is.

The euphoric feelings go away, but the anxiolytic effects have been shown to least for at least three years (klonopin).

There's really no way to tell beforehand. Why not trust your doctor on this one?

I try to sparingly take my anxiety med when I'm out and about, so I don't rely on it completely for social settings.

Benzos are great in the acute phase, no one debates that. But long term? People stay at the same dose for decades. I mean its great for me in select situations, but is that worth the dependence? It's hard to tell.

It's a can't have the cake and eat it thing, kinda.

som3dankbudz

Bluelighter
Well, all benzodiazepines are going to cause physical dependence to some degree in most all individuals. I know you've heard this before but, nmda antagonism of any kind could buy you some time at least. Maybe some chelated magnesium; or what not. Other than that planning a valium(diazepam) taper of some kind is your best bet tapering off benzodiazepines; when its time to do so. Some gabapentin/pregabalin wouldn't hurt while your tapering if you choose to go that route.

Neithman

Bluelighter
quazepam is supposed to have slower tolerance developement than other benzodiazpeines,also it doesnt disrupt sleep architecture like most benzodiazepines do.

ac360

Bluelighter
There's gabapentin, buspar as mentioned above, hydroxyzine, and if SSRIs don't help you could try an SNRI. Antihistamines have always helped me, even 25mg Benadryl. A lot of atypical antipsychotics are sedating and help with anxiety and some non SSRI antidepressants like Remeron and Trazodone.

Thomas29

Bluelighter
Oxazepam is definitely the least Physically Dependance causing in the same equivalent dose as any other Benzodiazepine for the same amount of time of being on Oxazepam Vs. Temazepam which Temazepam seems to cause Physical Dependance the fastest and the worse per equivalent dose use that is.

Ne0

Bluelighter
Benzodiatzepines shouldn't be used over 2 weeks daily. I think gabapinoids, especially pregabalin causes fastest physical dependency, also it does not help with anxiety very long time.