What Do YOU Think? Slow connectiviity with Bluelight only / intermittant error messages

Cheshire_Kat

Moderator: PD
Staff member

I've been having this problem for at least a couple of weeks now, it can take up to a minute and a half for a page to display, sometimes I get an error message.

If anyone else has encountered this problem or has a solution I sure would be interested. It happens on multiple computers from my local network. I have no connectivity issues with any other web site.

Anyone ?

Last edited:
Hmmm that's weird. I haven't had those issues. I mean occasionally the site goes down, but I believe that's for everybody, not just me.

Yeah, just putting it out there in case anyone has a solution.

That is a very unusual error my friend.

It makes me immediately think it may be your antivirus and/or firewall. You may need to flush your DNS or something.

I'm assuming you've already tried restarting your router and things like that?

I'm assuming you've already tried restarting your router and things like that?

Yes, I've tried all the low hanging fruit like that.

I have 5 computers on my local network and and it occurs on all of them. I even tried replacing my router as I have spare hardware.

Hmmm, so it's not the same one, but I've been getting an error message similar to this one every time I try to send a message. It says "oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console."

I've been having this problem for at least a couple of weeks now, it can take up to a minute and a half for a page to display, sometimes I get an error message.

If anyone else has encountered this problem or has a solution I sure would be interested. It happens on multiple computers from my local network. I have no connectivity issues with any other web site.

Anyone ?
There is a problem with page and site latency on some top pages right now. It's on BL end not you. You're being bounced.

Yeah if u see on the top screen it should give u a warning message about this very thing. I have had some similar things happen albeit rarely but the oops message i have been getting quite often

We'll check into it. We've had some database issues recently, but thought they were cleared (the search engine notice being the last one needing to be cleaned up). Maybe there's more ghosts left in the machine. We'll check.

whats the difference between low hanging and low lying? :eek:

hmm.. maybe its a MITM and someone compromised your machine to accept the invalid certificate...

or maybe another admin signed one :O

yes, i think that could be possible. if, say, the bluelight code was audited, but only one admin controlled the dns servers (or a 3rd party - hmm... they could even sign the certificate without any of you knowing, wouldnt even need a mole... for some of these people using common dns providers, i wonder how often it happens that some money, threats or manipulations changes hands with the provider and the domain could be verified again and a new psuedo-cert could be issued used for only a few users (i'd hope the certificate authorities are smarter than that... though i rarely check if a cert changes to a different signer), such as the owners of the site themselves - though obviously in that case someone would eventually notice they are being routed to different addresses eventually... though doing it just for a split second to grab their password in plaintext would be more feasable... i'd assume the admins of this site would be checking from time to time and comparing the IP ranges with others, though a rouge admin and a sneakily configured modified load balancer, eh it is a little endless), that is totally feasible to "MITM" you onto a separate, less secure, instance.

in fact, someone with the means to do so, say an rogue employee at cloudfare under bribe or intimidation or nsa contract, i think, could pwn every single bluelight user in a short matter of time using the above method, without a trace...

simply sign a false certificate, set the dns server to route every user to their compromised box, grab their password in plaintext, hit a hook that greenlists that IP to go to the proper server (which this sketchy dns server would be checking against)..

i guess it depends on who you trust more, your fellow admins, or the junky engineers over at cloudfare..

Last edited:
could be the traffic is just heavy or connection interference, electromagnetic static and tower problems ect ect ect . i'm so used to constant maintenance and upgrade dynamic. sure. just the important thing keep going forward as can do !
yeah its probably interference. try wrapping your computer in tin foil

of course, if someone hacked the nsa and got ahold of the wrong stuff, some asshole might just be using the backdoor in the intel chip solely to annoy you and slow your connection..

schiz,, if I had a MITM problem it would affect many webites... I only have problems with Bluelight so it is much more probable is with BL or my ISP.
Also if you read my posts you would have noted that i have it with multiple computers, not one.

Thanks though, I appreciate your thoughts and effort. (y)

schiz,, if I had a MITM problem it would affect many webites... I only have problems with Bluelight so it is much more probable is with BL or my ISP.
Also if you read my posts you would have noted that i have it with multiple computers, not one.

Thanks though, I appreciate your thoughts and effort. (y)
its hardly probable, i was mostly joking at first, then rambling on a thought...

but, hardly, a MITM attack would only compromise one connection

and its possible without the cert. (and it would probably be most effective and easier to compromise anyway to initiate the MITM from your router, not your compouter)

similar to my suggest attack against BL by actually using false certificates and hijacking the hosts dns records intermittently: https://www.cnet.com/news/nsa-disguised-itself-as-google-to-spy-say-reports/ ""As for recent reports that the US government has found ways to circumvent our security systems, we have no evidence of any such thing ever occurring." would be very hard to obtain evidence of it happening when done against specific users, but hopefully google is at least, you know, having a bot query their dns and keep record of it now.. - crazy because i just found this googling for more info to support my theory and they did just that... if it can be done, it is being done

what is more common is compromising your router and hijacking dns

anyway,

what IP are you resolving for bluelight.org?

Last edited:
problem solved :

TLDR: Microsoft update aggressive resets...

An update a couple weeks back set a hardware setting that didn't agree with my ISP

Setting corrected and boom - back to normal

Thanks everyone who responded (y)

Last edited:
Oops browser console error message!

It helps if you can open the browser developer tools and tell us which server command (url at the top of the developer tools window) is throwing the error. We've had transient permission issues where executing a normal command throws that error, indicating you don't have permission to execute the command. But we can't check permissions or fix it if we don't know which url command is causing it. You wiping your OS should be irrelevant, as the error ought be occurring in any browser, on any device....but that isn't always how this manifests.

The downside is this has seemed unpredictable, happening with various commands (not consistent), to people at all different usergroup levels (even admin, or myself).
The upside is that it tends to clear itself in a short bit, before we have to do anything.

Not a great situation, as software should be predictable and consistent, but we're looking into all the server software (not just Xenforo, as this likely is NOT a XF issue). The hunt continues.