• Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

What Do YOU Think? Slow connectiviity with Bluelight only / intermittant error messages

Cheshire_Kat

Administrator
schiz,, if I had a MITM problem it would affect many webites... I only have problems with Bluelight so it is much more probable is with BL or my ISP.
Also if you read my posts you would have noted that i have it with multiple computers, not one.

Thanks though, I appreciate your thoughts and effort. (y)

telepathetic

Bluelighter
schiz,, if I had a MITM problem it would affect many webites... I only have problems with Bluelight so it is much more probable is with BL or my ISP.
Also if you read my posts you would have noted that i have it with multiple computers, not one.

Thanks though, I appreciate your thoughts and effort. (y)
its hardly probable, i was mostly joking at first, then rambling on a thought...

but, hardly, a MITM attack would only compromise one connection

and its possible without the cert. (and it would probably be most effective and easier to compromise anyway to initiate the MITM from your router, not your compouter)

similar to my suggest attack against BL by actually using false certificates and hijacking the hosts dns records intermittently: https://www.cnet.com/news/nsa-disguised-itself-as-google-to-spy-say-reports/ ""As for recent reports that the US government has found ways to circumvent our security systems, we have no evidence of any such thing ever occurring." would be very hard to obtain evidence of it happening when done against specific users, but hopefully google is at least, you know, having a bot query their dns and keep record of it now.. - crazy because i just found this googling for more info to support my theory and they did just that... if it can be done, it is being done

what is more common is compromising your router and hijacking dns

anyway,

what IP are you resolving for bluelight.org?

Last edited:

Cheshire_Kat

Administrator
problem solved :

TLDR: Microsoft update aggressive resets...

An update a couple weeks back set a hardware setting that didn't agree with my ISP

Setting corrected and boom - back to normal

Thanks everyone who responded (y)

Last edited:

BenzoBrain^^

Bluelighter
Unable to change password. Oops browser console error message! I literally just wiped my entire operating system and started over again, why is this still happening?!

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
Oops browser console error message!

It helps if you can open the browser developer tools and tell us which server command (url at the top of the developer tools window) is throwing the error. We've had transient permission issues where executing a normal command throws that error, indicating you don't have permission to execute the command. But we can't check permissions or fix it if we don't know which url command is causing it. You wiping your OS should be irrelevant, as the error ought be occurring in any browser, on any device....but that isn't always how this manifests.

The downside is this has seemed unpredictable, happening with various commands (not consistent), to people at all different usergroup levels (even admin, or myself).
The upside is that it tends to clear itself in a short bit, before we have to do anything.

Not a great situation, as software should be predictable and consistent, but we're looking into all the server software (not just Xenforo, as this likely is NOT a XF issue). The hunt continues.

BenzoBrain^^

Bluelighter
It helps if you can open the browser developer tools and tell us which server command (url at the top of the developer tools window) is throwing the error. We've had transient permission issues where executing a normal command throws that error, indicating you don't have permission to execute the command. But we can't check permissions or fix it if we don't know which url command is causing it. You wiping your OS should be irrelevant, as the error ought be occurring in any browser, on any device....but that isn't always how this manifests.

The downside is this has seemed unpredictable, happening with various commands (not consistent), to people at all different usergroup levels (even admin, or myself).
The upside is that it tends to clear itself in a short bit, before we have to do anything.

Not a great situation, as software should be predictable and consistent, but we're looking into all the server software (not just Xenforo, as this likely is NOT a XF issue). The hunt continues.
I was able to change my password, but not the way I wanted. The error occurred when I was using my password manager to swap my 50 character password for a new one. But when I used firefox to generate a password, the error didn't happen. But I don't like storing passwords in my browser as it's a privacy/security risk. And it's also less than 50 characters. Good thing I have 2fa enabled.

I will look into this more and update the thread later.

Four Mile Creek, St. Clair Township, Ohio

I've been having this problem for at least a couple of weeks now, it can take up to a minute and a half for a page to display, sometimes I get an error message.

If anyone else has encountered this problem or has a solution I sure would be interested. It happens on multiple computers from my local network. I have no connectivity issues with any other web site.

Anyone ?
Get off ur Commodore 64 and/or Tandy Color Computer from Radio Shack old man!

problem solved

🧙‍♂️

BenzoBrain^^

Bluelighter
do you get the same error in an incognito/private browsing window?

alasdair
Yes, it happens on 5 different browsers

The 6th one which is Tor gives me this message instead:

Last edited:

hylite

Bluelighter
i have plenty of network problems too. so this sight is not EVEN difficult to work around.
: )
X out and then go back in again. Sometimes it will stop the buffer and restart. Try to rule out the cause of the error ! To start out possibly.

BenzoBrain^^

Bluelighter
did you explicitly try, say, incognito mode in chrome?

alasdair
I tried incognito mode in Chrome, Edge, Avast Secure Browser, Firefox, and Brave. It didn't work.

I seem to have found something that does though

Logged in via Firefox Focus on my smartphone and was able to successfully change my PW to something better

I then emailed that PW to myself and just copy pasted it and logged back in on my computer

Still wondering what's up with the browsers on my PC...

Tranced

Bluelight Crew
There is a problem with page and site latency on some top pages right now. It's on BL end not you. You're being bounced.

Do you understand computer networking stuff? Because I've got about 50 questions if so. Genuinely.

My first one would be, what happens when you get bounced?

Tranced

Bluelight Crew
problem solved :

TLDR: Microsoft update aggressive resets...

An update a couple weeks back set a hardware setting that didn't agree with my ISP

Setting corrected and boom - back to normal

Thanks everyone who responded (y)

Argh god is that the actual name for these things, or just what you call them? I've been having problems with my computer loads this year and I've determined it might be some kind of (policy?) that comes through W10 updates and reverts all my settings that I specifically set to NOT be on.

Its been pissing me off so much and I've speculated way too much on the origins; I've got no idea if it's specifically targeted at me or how to resolve that if so. I've heard about an MS A/B group thing where you get something changed and they sort ot monitor group responses. I've just had to disable all my hibernate/sleep/wake settings, again. I've formatted like five times this year. It's mostly why I haven't been on here.

I can remember back when we were implemeting XenForo that there were a few server updates that I'd read you ideally needed to upgrade to get the best XenForo compatability but stuff like that is beyond me and at the time of me stepping down it certainly hadn't been upgraded, and wasn't currently on the table.

I'm sure it was the PHP version and something else. I can remember making the suggestions but can no longer view them obviously; you could probably find them in a search of that old temporary xenforo forum/the admin forum, or maybe you know what I'm reffering to.

6am-64-14m

Bluelight Crew
i get em once in a while on mobile and pc browsers. i just hit back button and click the link i want again and goes straight to the page.
not sure if this works for all but works for me.

6am-64-14m

Bluelight Crew
And theres the advertised top o th line 80 tril data rate are still running on that 100 yr ol cable. i mean....

all that to say most of this crap is isp related from experience

tor has the same issues but that to kinda yo be expected..

Last edited: