• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc sleeping meds

Yes absolutely, been around 50 years or more. Plus you will earn brownie points for not asking for a scheduled drug I suspect. Just say you have a family member with same issue, and Ami worked well!!
These include major depressive disorder and anxiety disorders, and less commonly attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and bipolar disorder.[2][3] Other uses include prevention of migraines, treatment of neuropathic pain such as fibromyalgia and postherpetic neuralgia, and less commonly insomnia.

So what do I say i'm taking it for? Insomnia?

I think the reason nobody mentioned the z-drugs is that they're incredible similarity to benzodiazepines (which s/he didn't want)
I've never gone to actually ask for it but hydroxyzine does sound like a good idea.

Last edited:
i 2nd hydroxyzine - 150-300mg. while in wd have taken up to 600mg with no ill effects, no groggy hang-over.

I am sure asking for it to combat your Insomnia would be fine. Start low maybe 25mg if you do get some.

Never had the honour of Hydroxyzine, but it is prescription only here in the Uk, whereas Promethazine is not. That speaks volumes in my opinion.

I've heard a lot of good about hydroxyzine. Apparently equally as effective for anxiety as benzos and is very good for potentiating opiates.

Although it's uncontrolled it is prescription only and I think rarely prescribed in practice, at least I've never known anyone who had a script.

There's also a certain antihistamine, I'm not sure if it's hydroxyzine or another one, that apparently increases the amount of codeine metabolised into morphine to like 80%, effectively making codeine as good as morphine.

Yes I agree never known anyone to have it on the Nhs, I shall try on Friday with my gp. Wouldn’t your latter remark be a turn up for the books for the Codeine lovers!!

Flexeril 10mg will knock you the fuck outtttttt. Its a muscle relaxer (no recreational value).

Hydroxyzine was the very first anxiolytic ever prescribed to me. I found it to make me groggy so it worked better for sleep instead. It’s an O.G. Antihistamine so to speak and usually works for everyone. Also I hate to suggest this, though maybe it’s worth a shot; but have you considered looking in to first generally Typical Antipsychotics? They do carry nastier side effects, but are known to work. Also I believe Trazadone was mentioned earlier, that one worked like a horse tranquilizer on me.lol Best of luck to you!!!

Yeah the atypical never worked like the TCA’s for me. Mirtazapine is another that was peddled for sleep issues along with Traz for a while!!

Hydroxyzine was the very first anxiolytic ever prescribed to me. I found it to make me groggy so it worked better for sleep instead. It’s an O.G. Antihistamine so to speak and usually works for everyone. Also I hate to suggest this, though maybe it’s worth a shot; but have you considered looking in to first generally Typical Antipsychotics? They do carry nastier side effects, but are known to work. Also I believe Trazadone was mentioned earlier, that one worked like a horse tranquilizer on me.lol Best of luck to you!!!

I find 150mg Trazodone with 50-100mg Chlorpromazine good if we're sticking with unscheduled drugs.

Yeah the atypical never worked like the TCA’s for me. Mirtazapine is another that was peddled for sleep issues along with Traz for a while!!

I can imagine that for mirtazapine, had me knocked out for 12 hours when I was scripted it for depression. Horrible crap. Wouldn't touch it again with a ten foot barge pole.

See that’s where I find Amitriptyline very clean sedation cycling properly through the night, and after a short slight morning haze adjustment period, it is the perfect sleep med for me. But I am actually prescribed it for UC

I found even pregabalin good for sleeping. It's not an antidepressant. It's an anticonvulsant and also used for anxiety or neuropathic pain (the latter is the reason why I had a box prescribed).
Doesn't need to be a mega dose. 300mg (therapeutic dosage) for me would be sedating enough to fall asleep nicely without a tolerance. I was using it every now and then so I have never developed tolerance.

I have used occasionally lorazepam, lormetazepam, zolpidem, promethazine for insomnia. For me they are all about the same as far as sedation goes. Promethazine is a bit milder I'd say.

I found even pregabalin good for sleeping. It's not an antidepressant. It's an anticonvulsant and also used for anxiety or neuropathic pain (the latter is the reason why I had a box prescribed).
Doesn't need to be a mega dose. 300mg (therapeutic dosage) for me would be sedating enough to fall asleep nicely without a tolerance. I was using it every now and then so I have never developed tolerance.

I have used occasionally lorazepam, lormetazepam, zolpidem, promethazine for insomnia. For me they are all about the same as far as sedation goes. Promethazine is a bit milder I'd say.

300mg is a high dose of pregabalin for someone without tolerance. Starting therapeutic dose is 150mg which should be plenty. But the onset is a few hours and you will wake up mashed on pregabalin for the day so not so great functionally at least in my experience.

Promethazine is a pretty potent antihistamine, almost as much as mirtazapine and the like, and has me full on zombified.

I'd say zolpidem is the cleanest solution since it works so quickly and has such a short half-life. You're out in 20 minutes and in the morning you feel normal.

Even zopiclone, although it has a longer half-life, has no real effect in the morning except that weird metal taste in your mouth.

My doctor prescribed 25mg of seroquel. I slept 8 hours, woke up groggy but it felt great to sleep