• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Slavov Sizek vs Jordan Peterson

Mafioso

Bluelight Crew
Jordan Peterson debates Slavov Sizek, one of the communist who Peterson says does not debate.

This debate has been a long time coming. I wasn't expecting to see it pop up on my feed. Starting watching tonight but I'm probably going to fall asleep soon.

Thoughts?

I spotted this the other night, saw less than half of it and fell asleep. From what I can recall there is a consolidation of Zizek and Petersons online lectures and arguments rehashed again, but I haven't heard the whole 'debate' properly - what I did see I personally found very tame but it was kind of endearing. I do remember there being a disproportionate amount of water bottles supplied for the debate! Am actually looking forward to watching it again this eve, as never thought it would actually, occur despite being joked about on online forums for years. ?

Last edited:
I couldn't make it though, the audio is pretty horrible and I tend to get lost in Peterson's word salads. I agree it was pretty tame and what I did pick up seemed pretty agreeable by both parties.

I've watched a couple of the summaries/commentaries, and most seem to say it wasn't all that impressive of a debate in general. I might try and watch it again, but given it's pretty laborious to listen to and wasn't received very well by critics, I might just take the commentator's word on this one.

I'm gonna have to give this another go, also listened to about half of it but had to give up because I realised I just wasn't paying attention.

I didn't feel it was even much of a "debate" at least as I understand the word, what I did listen to just seemed to be mostly an extended monologue by Peterson, and he is pretty goddamn tiresome to listen to at length without someone forcing him to explain what the hell he's trying to say, ie, Sam Harris (which is admittedly the only other one of these I've listened to so far).

I presume Slavov gets his say too later on, or maybe he spoke up more than I recall, but my immediate impression is that he let far too much of that "word salad" - as you quite aptly put it, Mafioso - go unchallenged, which was pretty disappointing.

Let me know what you think of it if you do make it through. I think I'll have to settle to take others' word on this one.

I'll try to look for the summary videos and post if I come across anything of interest.