• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Skipping Wellbutrin xl the same day doing Meth - will it make a difference??

ledlight

Greenlighter
Hi Everyone,

I hope I am posting this is the correct area..

A friend of mine has been taking 150mg Wellburtrin XL (extended release) for almost 3 weeks. Yesterday they found out that Diesel Boy is coming today and got tickets and together with another friend has arrange to pick up some meth later.

My friend would have stopped taking the Wellbutrin a week ago if they knew this was going to come up but this was all very spontaneous and random.

They have done meth 2 other times (while on no meds)

Now the main question is.

They usually take the 150mg wellburtin in the morning and they skipped it this morning hoping that less of the drug will be in their system come night fall when they get the meth.

Is it really going to matter if they take it or not at this point, how long does wellburtin stay in your system and is are there any nasty withdrawl from not taking it (like when you quit a SSRI)?

Knowing that Wellburtin has kind of a stimulant effect and it effects dopamine reuptake (it is NOT an SSRI) had them a little concerned about it interacting poorly with the meth and having a bad reaction.

Anyone else take wellburtin and do meth?

It's now been 2 hours since they would have normally taken their wellburtin and they feel fine, and come this evening it will have been almost 36 hours since they last took the 150mg wellburtin xl.

If you're on Wellbutrin, stay away from amphetamines. The interaction with methamphetamine, even in therapeutic doses, can cause seizures.

The use of bupropion is associated with a dose-related risk of seizures. The risk may be further increased when coadministered with other agents that can reduce the seizure threshold

The active metabolites pose a threat, too. Both they and the parent drug have relatively long half-lives. From the PI:

The mean elimination half-life (±SD) of bupropion after chronic dosing is 21 (±9) hours

Bupropion is extensively metabolized in the liver to active metabolites, which are further metabolized and excreted by the kidneys.

Three metabolites have been shown to be active: hydroxybupropion..., and the amino-alcohol isomers threohydrobupropion and erythrohydrobupropion....The potency and toxicity of the metabolites relative to bupropion have not been fully characterized. However, it has been demonstrated in an antidepressant screening test in mice that hydroxybupropion is one-half as potent as bupropion, while threohydrobupropion and rythrohydrobupropion are 5-3 fold less potent than bupropion. This may be of clinical importance because their plasma concentrations are as high or higher than those of bupropion.

Peak plasma concentrations of hydroxybupropion are approximately 10 times the peak level of the parent drug at steady state. The elimination half-life of hydroxybupropion is approximately 20 (±5) hours and its AUC a steady state is about 17 times that of bupropion. The times to peak concentrations for the erythrohydrobupropion and threohydrobupropion metabolites are similar to that of the hydroxybupropion metabolite. However, their elimination half-lives are longer, 33 (±10) and 37 (±13) hours, respectively

Wellburrin is actually being recalled because the pharm companies were making ineffective pills

If you're on Wellbutrin, stay away from amphetamines. The interaction with methamphetamine, even in therapeutic doses, can cause seizures.

The risk of seizure is highly dose-dependent: 0.1% at 100–300 mg of bupropion, 0.4% at 300–450 mg, and 2% at 600 mg.[citation needed] For comparison, the incidence of the first unprovoked seizure in the general population is 0.07 to 0.09%. The risk of seizure for other antidepressants is as follows: 0.1–0.6% for imipramine, depending on dosage; 0–0.06% for amitriptyline, depending on dosage; 0.5% for clomipramine; 0.4% for maprotiline; and 0.2% for fluoxetine and fluvoxamine. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bupropion).

I do agree with that the risk is increased - but it seems to be VERY dose dependent - and from what I have read from the link you provided (lots of helpful info) - it would seem to me that 150mg isn't a very amount... and the risk could actually be HIGHER for someone on a SSRI.

Wellburrin is actually being recalled because the pharm companies were making ineffective pills

if this is the case with my friends pills - nothing to worry about, lol. Good thing my friend got them for free as a sample from the doc or my friend would be pissed for wasting money!!

you should ABSOLUTELY NOTtake these two drugs together! A minimum of two weeks off of one before consuming the other is guideline, unless you are under a doctor's close supervision, which I assume you're not.

I realize this thread is Hella old. I am aware. But my research has led me here, and someone else is likely to come here as well.

Long story short. I've been smoking /snorting meth for about 8 months. Daily. Then all of sudden, my psychiatrist gives me a bottle of Wellbutrin 150 mg XR. I began using taking the Wellbutrin as directed, but I also continued doing meth. The Wellbutrin doubles the stimulant effect for me. That's all for now.

Been smoking meth and doing 150 mg Wellbutrin for maybe a year. No adverse reaction to date. I'll probably give the ice a rest, been using it to taper off ops and the withdrawals have been quite tolerable. But then again, if it's true they are recalling Wellbutrin then I suppose it's all academic .