• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Signs you should slow down your MDMA usage?

Cdilly93

Bluelighter
Honestly i feel like if i were never to have done my research on MDMA and aware myself of such the dangers i wouldn't be asking myself so much if taking the drug is affecting me in negative ways. (Like my friends who roll regularly at parties and never think twice about it) I do it once a month but i feel as if im constantly asking myself if im happy and if i ever get down or sad i start blaming my MDMA use.. This stuff is on my mind 24/7. Is there some for sure signs that you need to stop using? Like me questioning my happiness 24/7? and does anyone else do this? Idk if this post makes sence lol

Last edited:
Yeah don't worry it competely makes sense :) It's obvious that you feel that somethings going wrong with your life,and you also know that mdma won't fix any problem;just make them more hardly recognizable and adds to a confussion... I believe everybody using these kind of stuff experiences things like that and most times it's when we all know that it's time to cool off a bit ;)

Hello, I remember feeling guilty this one day about doing x while under the influence of it, I thought of all the happiness I was feeling literally sending my brain into overdrive mode and even though I knew it wasn't the healthiest of choices I still did it. It's been 5 months now and I haven't done it, have been very tempted lately but I will probably keep it leveled, take a break from it don't do it more than twice a month, the more you do it the less magical it feels make sure you remember your experience it is something that should stick with you for the rest of your life make it worth it. It's ok to question your happiness, but if you think your usage is affecting your levels of serotonin and and all that please take a break from it. Stay safe.

You have stated in some of your posts that you take 200-300mg in a night. Thats your problem right there, as to why you even made this post. Back it up to 100-120 with a light redose no more than an hour in and take the proper 3+ month break between each time. If you have abused it you might want to wait 6+.

You have stated in some of your posts that you take 200-300mg in a night. Thats your problem right there, as to why you even made this post. Back it up to 100-120 with a light redose no more than an hour in and take the proper 3+ month break between each time. If you have abused it you might want to wait 6+.
Some people just have higher tolerances to drugs, if i were to take 120mg it wouldn't even be worth rolling due to such slight effects. Its been that way from the start mostly for me, unfortunatley.

I think if you're thinking about it enough to ask it's probably time to slow down.

I know the feeling, take a decent break 6 months - a year. Then if you wana keep using aim for 2 or 3 times a year, also I have to agree with epic11 on your dosages. Im a pretty big fellow and find around 150-160mg to be the sweet spot, any more than that and the euphoria is way less and shit gets trippy! I honestly think people nowadays are crazy just necking high dose dutch presses, reality is half 1 is a good dose for the average person.
I go to dnb clubs on my own as none of my mates are into the scene and the past few years I find myself more and more having to step in with water/advice for people who are on hero doses.
I work in social care, my dream is to start a harm reduction/drug education programme that can go around schools and give advice outside clubs. The red tape around that is quite frankly ridiculous.

Some people just have higher tolerances to drugs, if i were to take 120mg it wouldn't even be worth rolling due to such slight effects. Its been that way from the start mostly for me, unfortunatley.

I used to think that as well......... its simply not true. 120mg is stronger than more.........

Have you heard of the expression 'paralysis by analysis'? Cause it sounds like that to me. Simply feeling down or having bad days is perfectly normal and suddenly thinking 'Could it be the MDMA' is over-analysis IMO. Trust me, I've gone through similar thought processes before realising that actually I'm no different to before I tried MDMA. So I feel shitty today? I'm probably just having a bad day like I would before I even tried the drug. It is my view that if you have to ask 'could it be the MDMA?' it probably isn't. At least I'm of the impression that any MDMA-induced deficits will be pretty obvious from the normal bad days and unlike this forum I don't think once a month usage will cause noticeable deficits. My once a month usage never did but I only used it once a month for like 4-5 months. Maybe MDMA-induced deficits are more subtle than I imagine but that's my intuitive feel.

use the normal dose for your body-weight for sure. More is not better, its worst

yes the people who use higher dosing and more often de-sensitize their bodies aka tolerance

Have you heard of the expression 'paralysis by analysis'? Cause it sounds like that to me. Simply feeling down or having bad days is perfectly normal and suddenly thinking 'Could it be the MDMA' is over-analysis IMO. Trust me, I've gone through similar thought processes before realising that actually I'm no different to before I tried MDMA. So I feel shitty today? I'm probably just having a bad day like I would before I even tried the drug. It is my view that if you have to ask 'could it be the MDMA?' it probably isn't. At least I'm of the impression that any MDMA-induced deficits will be pretty obvious from the normal bad days and unlike this forum I don't think once a month usage will cause noticeable deficits. My once a month usage never did but I only used it once a month for like 4-5 months. Maybe MDMA-induced deficits are more subtle than I imagine but that's my intuitive feel.

3 months or longer minimum is a good rule of thumb

if you need 300mg then you either dont have real mdma or its cut real mdma. ive been rollin for 8 years now and ive done 300mg plus before and it was not as good as times that i did 150-180mg. over time experience will teach you that for optimum mdma use its all about finding a sweet spot. the mind set of doing extra to get extra high does not work with this drug. higher doses may have a person more intoxicated or more fucked up to say but not necessarly rolling better. the empathy and euphoria becomes diminished at overly high doses. dont forget having food in your stomach and other factors will dampen your roll greatly so that could cause a person to require higher doses to achieve a decent roll. also when a person rolls to often and they feel they have a built up tolerance and need higher doses to have the same roll as previous lower doses, well the reality is its not really so much about a built up tolerance its because frequent use is stopping the brain from healing and regenerating more serotonin to be able to roll hence having the brain charged up ready to roll again instead of trying to run a engine low on gas.

if you need 300mg then you either dont have real mdma or its cut real mdma. ive been rollin for 8 years now and ive done 300mg plus before and it was not as good as times that i did 150-180mg. over time experience will teach you that for optimum mdma use its all about finding a sweet spot. the mind set of doing extra to get extra high does not work with this drug. higher doses may have a person more intoxicated or more fucked up to say but not necessarly rolling better. the empathy and euphoria becomes diminished at overly high doses. dont forget having food in your stomach and other factors will dampen your roll greatly so that could cause a person to require higher doses to achieve a decent roll. also when a person rolls to often and they feel they have a built up tolerance and need higher doses to have the same roll as previous lower doses, well the reality is its not really so much about a built up tolerance its because frequent use is stopping the brain from healing and regenerating more serotonin to be able to roll hence having the brain charged up ready to roll again instead of trying to run a engine low on gas.
Yes, i dont take 300mg all at once.. I too take a dose of 150-200mg but then redose once or twice due to me rolling at raves, contrary to what people say on here, it feels that to me it extends the roll and keeps me going (even if its mostly speedy effects, its much better than coming down during the rave imo) i've continued to do this because i've had nothing but afterglows. But yes, im probobably doing more damage than if i were to keep it at 150-200mg

Last edited:
Yes this is my problem, im too worrysome, if i was having a bad day or got upset before my mdma use, i had nothing else to blame besides having a bad day. But now my worrysome mind goes straight to thinking its mdma. Aswell as my level of happiness is on mind 24/7. Even if my usage isnt causing any problems with my happiness, I think im just gonna have to cut back to once every few months to help get rid of these constant thoughts.

If you are asking the question, you already know the answer. Once a month is better than once a week but at the same time, that is pretty heavy use. The magic will not last forever at that rate.

3 months or longer minimum is a good rule of thumb

Is it though? I mean, never taking any drugs would be a good rule of thumb but is not harm reduction. Where do we draw the line at what is genuinely dangerous and what is just overly cautious? I'm of the opinion that once a month is safe usage and anything past that is overly cautious. Sure it's not bad to be overly cautious but isn't entirely in-line with our mission of harm reduction IMO.

Yes this is my problem, im too worrysome, if i was having a bad day or got upset before my mdma use, i had nothing else to blame besides having a bad day. But now my worrysome mind goes straight to thinking its mdma. Aswell as my level of happiness is on mind 24/7. Even if my usage isnt causing any problems with my happiness, I think im just gonna have to cut back to once every few months to help get rid of these constant thoughts.

Remember that anxiety is a completely natural and compulsory psychological response necessary for survival. Anxiety helps us to identify dangerous situations and therefore avoid them. It's just the problem with anxiety in today's society is that it expands to areas that it actually doesn't benefit us in such as social situations and worrying about the future. In my opinion, and it may only be my opinion, the MDMA is not the cause but instead your fear for what MDMA could have caused is actually causing the anxiety. Basically swapping the cause and effect here. Instead of 'I have taken MDMA which has damaged my brain making me feel anxious and depressed' I think it's 'I have taken MDMA, a drug that myself and society perceives to be damaging to my health, and now I'm worrying about that perceived damage causing me to feel anxious'. Remember that everything is perceived and subjective to ourself and more often than not our perceptions rarely meet the actual reality of the situation. I'm currently undergoing cognitive behavioural therapy myself for social anxiety of which I'm 100% sure are nothing to do with my MDMA usage and instead a product of both my childhood experiences and society. CBT talks all about these things and discusses how anxiety needs to be identified for what it is and then overcome by facing the fears. Sure your situation isn't exactly the same but then again if you were able to identify your thoughts simply as anxiety and then let them go you'd probably feel a whole lot better about it. Anxiety has a funny way of causing behaviours which reinforce the anxiety and so the cycle continues. So by battling the anxieties by changing your thoughts or behaviours you can change the cycle of anxiety.

In my eyes you're experiencing 'Bluelight Syndrome' where you become obsessive about researching MDMA and understanding it to the point it actually causes anxiety itself. I used to do it too. And yet all the while the thoughts you have move you further away from the actual cause of the problem instead reinforcing your perceived cause that is MDMA. Take a step back and try to look at things open-mindedly and objectively. Ask yourself, am I really any different to before I tried MDMA? Would my worries that are now MDMA just be about something else in my life? Just some food for thought from a guy currently undergoing cognitive behavioural therapy and beginning to understand anxiety a bit better.

even if the mdma itself might not be negatively affecting your brain, even if you're not taking too much mdma (we can't tell how much is too much, the line changes from person to person imo), the constant wondering about it is bad in itself

i had something similar to this - i used to smoke weed and think i was slightly getting dumber or slightly schizo. i probably wasn't, but with the constant wondering and biased view i had at the time i could easily convince myself i was, and i suppose the same happens to you.

like JWills said, you might be reading too much BL. i tell you man this MED section surely scares the fuck out of me with all the LTC reports and such!

honestly, if you can't convince yourself and don't feel safe - even though you might not be doing any damage -, i'd say you should lay it off for a while, and return when you feel safe and confident. there's no point in doing it if it makes you worrisome. then, you can spread your rolls apart and take supplements, just for peace of mind, which matters too.

Is it though? I mean, never taking any drugs would be a good rule of thumb but is not harm reduction. Where do we draw the line at what is genuinely dangerous and what is just overly cautious? I'm of the opinion that once a month is safe usage and anything past that is overly cautious. Sure it's not bad to be overly cautious but isn't entirely in-line with our mission of harm reduction IMO.

well we have different opinions then. I feel from previous experience, and ive done mdma every other day a few times a week at a time abusing it, and taking breaks two months at a time, etc that for myself three months is a good rule of thumb

sure I can theorize all I want and say yeah once a month is okay for a couple months, and it most likely could be, then take longer breaks, like you said you did for 4-5 months , once a month, but in my experience once a month is not enough to fully regenerate my serotonin for another roll, especially after a lot of mdma use

ill stick to three months or longer, and yes longer- up to four months- six months, a year, and ive gone thirteen years between rolls. I have a busy life, girlfriend, career, athletics, yes im an athelete....etc that doesnt allow me roll much and im glad it is this way because I enjoy it more. aka delayed gratification and patience is super important as a life skill

The 3 month wait was actually surprising for me to hear. When I was having maximum fun with this substance, if I were to follow that, then that would make it out to only 8 rolls in 2 years. That sounds like torture. =/ it sure sounds safe as hell though.

I've had something similar happen before too. I remember getting piped, and so I spent the majority of the time looking at the negative side effects online. When I found even one that matched (like diarrhea or something) I thought I was going to die. Although that shit substance's effects had a lot to do with it, I made it through perfectly fine. I like to call this negative placebo, lol.

You probably shouldn't have to ask yourself if you're happy. It's a feeling, so you should be feeling it and other people should be seeing it too. I've been happy when I probably shouldn't be, and that seems to lead people to think that I have it good or something when actually a lot of crappy crap is going on. I just consume my pain and internalize it, as that is the way I know how to deal with it best. But yeah, some for sure signs are losing the magic, getting way more negative than positive effects, mental changes, addiction/compulsive use, unsatisfactory changes in other areas of life and/or the like.