Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Signing for codeine-containing products

swilow

Sr. Moderator: AADD, CE&P, TD
Staff member
Well, I had some dental work done today and bought a packet of Mersyndol at a pharmacy.....I was aked to give my name and adress which I promptly made up, but whats the deal with that? I bought a packet of Chemists Own panadeine today, at a different pharmacy prior to that, and didn't have to give a name. Iam assuimg its because of the codeine content, but do I really have to give a name and adress? I argued then point just for the sake of it, but really didn't figure out much.

Sorry if this has been covered, which I'm sure it has....

It might just be the pharmacy policy; how big was the packet? 48 packs and over are SIII, but the lesser sized ones are SII.

They are only 9-10mg of codeine per tablet right?

They probably wouldn't serve you if you refused to give the name and address, but like you said they didn't check ID. There is a pharmacy near my house that doesn't even check ID for pseudoephedrine purchases, at least not for the Chemists' Own brand ones.

I've bought 96 packs of 9.8mg codeine tabs and had no questions asked.
What state are you in? I'm in WA and i've never had to sign anything and the questions only went as far as "how long have you been in pain", "have you seen someone about this", etc

I'm in QLD and over here they'd definitely take your details for that. Swilow is Melbourne based, I believe.

swilow said:
Well, I had some dental work done today and bought a packet of Mersyndol at a pharmacy.....I was aked to give my name and adress which I promptly made up, but whats the deal with that? I bought a packet of Chemists Own panadeine today, at a different pharmacy prior to that, and didn't have to give a name. Iam assuimg its because of the codeine content, but do I really have to give a name and adress? I argued then point just for the sake of it, but really didn't figure out much.

Sorry if this has been covered, which I'm sure it has....

I bet you went to where I used to work....
They take down details regarding s3 codeine because codeine abuse is becoming a problem. It's not put into a huge database like the Pseudoephedrine one, just a store database (should only be accessable from that store)
The chemist's own stuff isn't sold at the same chain, so it's generally smaller pharmacies who stock it because overheads are much much lower than mersyndol/panadeine brand meds. So basically, no small pharmacy is going to ask for ID/address as its just going to drive down business. The other chain does what they do because they are quite lax with s2 meds (see how easy it is to walk up and get Nurofen Plus? Not even behind a counter), so they make codeine products which are s3 a bit harder to get as a sign of goodwill to the agencies in charge (this chain is also not part of the QCCP, basically the qaulity control board for pharmacy)

Mr. White said:
I've bought 96 packs of 9.8mg codeine tabs and had no questions asked.
What state are you in? I'm in WA and i've never had to sign anything and the questions only went as far as "how long have you been in pain", "have you seen someone about this", etc

LOL, yeh I kept a codeine habit going for almost 2 years all from the 5-6 pharmacies in the area where i was living. Never signed a thing.

Nurofen Plus is behind the counter at the Pharmacy i go to.

All they ask is if i've had it before and to not ingest it on an empty stomach, so i dunno why.

^Hmm, this is all rather odd. Yeah Mr B I'm in Melbourne; mersyndol is 10mg codeine, 5.1mg doxylamine and 500mg paracetmeol.

DJSim, the pharamacy I was asked at is a really little corner store; I used to go in there and pick up valium scripts, but I really doubt they remember me...I dunno, maybe I look like a junky I've lost lots of weight from benzo withdrawal of late :D The packet was only 20 pills; for starters, I would be utterly delerious from the doxlamine, mildly high on 200mg of codeine and dead in a few days from the paracetemol :|

Strangeness.

If anyone asked me for ID, would just walk out.

That or use the name Bob Smith, 14 Major Street, Dongville (thats what I used). Lets get Bob hooked! ;)

*not sure about the dongville bit

KC, yeah in Vic. Not a small pharmacy either.

Not that i care, codeine bores me.

swilow said:
mersyndol is 10mg codeine, 5.1mg doxylamine and 500mg paracetmeol.

That is the night time version, and as you said, comes in packs of 20. The day strength is simply minus the doxylamine succinate. For some reason pharmacists spark up about doxy, ie: when getting some dolased for sleep, lots of questions.

So it was probably the codeine/doxy combo that was cause for id, not codeine itself per se.

I was recently asked for ID by a pharamcist for codeine but I was actually in Queensland. The pharmacist, upon seeing my licence, mentioned that I probably don't get asked in Vic which I don't and never have for codeine.

I asked if the name gets put into a central database which he scoffed at. Told me it was big brother just trying to scare me ;)

After the recent media spotlight on this drug, I would expect that pharmcists the country over will be more aware and keeping a closer eye on purchases of products containing codeine.

^To me, I think it was how I looked at the time...twas ealry morning, I had just picked up my medicines from the doctor, probably looked a bit weird and frazzled but....Meh, I dunno. Doxlamine is certainly a strong fucking sedative, but hardly recreational, except to potentiate opiates and feel kinda odd :\. I find it to be a lot more effective then any benzo or related hypnotic for inducing sleep, so in that sense I understand the caution behind it all; it works, and we can't have people buying effective, cheap, generic sedatives now can we?

Yeah, Hoptis, I don't think there would be a database, but if you get asked PLEASE say your name is Bob Smith (unless it really is, in which case I am truly sorry for draggig you into all this). A sidenote; about a month ago, in Chadstone, I purchased some nurofen plus, simply for headaches. An elederly woman was not allowed to buymore then ten boxes of N+ at once; thats still 760 pills. She wasn't checked for ID, but she was mighty agitated when they wouldn't sell more then ten....X 76 tablets :| If they don't want people to fuck themselves up with this stuff, take out the paracetemol. A deleriant should be deterent enough without the possibility of death as well...

^It was odd- but she was mighty insistent, very haighty and just flustered the staff members. I felt like pointing out the CWE threads on Bluelight :D By and large, these peeps in the phramacy wold prolly go on looks to judge how 'dodgy' you seem...this lady seemed fine, and probably didn't even realise she was an addict (well Im assuming a lot here), she just wanted her Nurofen I guess...And I have to sign for 200mgs of codeine! Hmph.

I had to provide a current drivers licence to buy bloody flu medicine the other day. They took down all my details and put it all in some system, took nearly 20 minutes for a small pack of 9mg codeine/500mg paracetamol. So dumb, there'd be 100mg codeine in the pack at the most.