• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Significance of dots on reli-on syringes (made in usa)

blackjesus

Bluelighter
Hi guys, wanted to reach out to the board to see if anyone has any information on the significance of the dots parallel to the 10 unit mark on reli-on brand syringes (possibly others) made in the USA.

To my knowledge they come with, no dot, a single dot or two dots.

A friend swears that the double dot marked syringes are "sharper" than the others.

This doesnt make much sense to me because they are likely made by machine and of course in mass quantities.
However, if it were true, it might make sense for the makers to include different syringe sharpness' in their product for those who require an "extra sharp" syringe (people with thicker fat membranes in their skin) to get to the layer of skin required to inject their insulin.

Just curious if anyone on the board has a logical reason for why these are here, or whether they have heard any other urban legends regarding these dots

I don't think the dots mean anything. It might have something to do with when they were manufactured, find one with no dots and one with 2 dots and compare the writing on them and the placement of things and see if it's different. That's the only thing I've found that's remotely close to explaining anything about the dots (and it still doesn't say anything about them really)

the only thing i can confirm is that syringes with zero one and two dots are all included in the same pack or box of reli-on branded

I know with bd there's a dot to mark where the syringe should be if not open from manufacturere always are pulled out halfway or to the 10 unit amount. It might be the same thing

Are they molded or printed?

What's the ratio of unmarked to one-doted to two-dotted syringes in a pack?

My guess is that it may be some sort of marker to indicate which machine on a production line made that particular syringe, so if quality control issues become a problem the staff know which machine to blame.

Or maybe it could be a quantity marker, E.G. one dot after every 5 syringes, two after every 10 syringes, etc to help with counting and packaging.

Bd does the same thing too... One dot, two dots or no dots. Besides what sekeio says I have no clue

Edit : there's different amount of dots for the same packs too.

Just an update as I learned today the dots represent how many times the needles materials have been recycled. They melt down the sharps to remeld them as well as recleaning the needle.

I just noticed these dots myself a couple of days ago... Idk if it does or doesn't but it seems like they might also indicate bevel up position... that's how I noticed it (trying to find a "landmark" to keep track of the bevel orientation in a tricky spot where my rig kept rolling around) and since then it seems like the dots are always at bevel up... or maybe that's just where they print the dots and it's coincidental.

Wow any chance you have a source? I've never heard of any medical waste recycling programs. Sounds very interesting, though with syringes I would've thought that the cost of sterilization on top of the actual recycling and sharpening would just be too expensive and they'd only use virgin materials.

This was honestly told to me by a junkie I know who I doubt would say something they don't know. I'll try to research a source... They have needle exchanges for a reason.