Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 7 15.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

diegoblunt

Bluelighter
The republicans have been making a small amount of noise recently.

What does everyone think?

Maybe this can be a poll? (considering there will be another referendum at some stage) :)

1. Fuck the monarchy

2. Lets stay the same

3. I don't care either way

%)

If you would like it as an actual poll, let one of the mods know and I'm sure we'll start one for you :)

^^ good idea, actual poll.....

I'm don't really care either way at the moment, but what i do care about is knowing the facts....ie. how will it change our everyday life (if at all) and how our government is run? I'd like to know more about that. I understand that it means we have a directly elected head of state (as in the USA *shudder*), but what else is involved?

I guess until i know all the facts i wouldn't really be able to make an informed choice....I voted against republic last time, and i think it was cause i didnt know how it would make things better....it seemed like it was change for the sake of change....but i was younger and less wise then (not that i am a genius now ;))

Peace....

i'm not going to pretend that i really understand all this stuff, but i will say fuck the monarchy!

Ok, I'll start a poll and then merge this thread into it :)

Fuck the Monarchy.:p

I think if we are going to go forward, and forge a true and strong national identity we need an Australian head of state. Someone who embodies the the spirit of this country, inspires it, and someone we can look up to and relate to.
The changes we have to make to our system don't have to be great, having a president doesn't mean we have to follow the same model of goverment as the yanks, so i can't see any reasons why we shouldn't go for it.

The Australian Republican Movement currently has six models setting out how the new head of state would be elected, what thier role would be and what changes thier would be to the current system of goverment.

For more information go to: http://www.republic.org.au/6models/sixmodels_0.htm

Definitely Fuck the Monarchy.

For me it's a no-brainer, but that's obviously not the case for everyone, so I'd be interested in reading the reasoning behind sticking with Liz as our chief.

hehe I think its gonna be a landslide to give Lizzy the heave ho.

But what I'd like to know, and this out of pure ignorance to political systems, would it make any significant difference to us?

I was just thinking about starting a thread on this the other day :)

I'm all for a republic. I voted yes at the referendum and I remember feeling quite disappointed in the result. I think that the main reason it didn't get thru was due to the lack of information/education surrounding the model put forward.

haste said:

But what I'd like to know, and this out of pure ignorance to political systems, would it make any significant difference to us?

I don't know that it will make a huge difference politically... more symbolically!

FUCK QUEEN ELIZABETH II AND HER NANCY FOLLOWERS
=D
I'm all for getting rid of the Queen.
In reality she serves no purpose (essentially), why not just have an Australian appointed Head of State who does the same thing.
I think we should appoint ME, K_T.
I'll sit on my arse, stamp a few papers, go to a few ceramonies and live the bling-bling wassup homeboy lifestyle.
Errr... yeah.
:)
So to inform tnargus', and help him to make a more informed decision, we wouldn't need to be like the USA, and the President wouldn't necessarily need to be directly appointed (we could just have some random dude chosen by the government or something, much like the Governor General).
Shit, who would have thought studying politics would actually serve some useful purpose.
;)
PEACE

thanks alot haste. in the future ... do we pm you guys with our poll suggestions and you will make it for us?

although i created the poll, i don't really know that much about the 2 different systems. I'd love for people to discuss them with me though so I can learn :) (thanks for that link Naughtiest_Maximus)

I voted for 'fuck the monarchy', just because I like change and can't see the benefits of keeping our ties with england (other than the commonwealth games).

katmeow said:
I think that the main reason it didn't get thru was due to the lack of information/education surrounding the model put forward.
And due to the fact that such a large proportion of our population are poms... damn poms *waves fists in the air madly*.
=D

diegoblunt said:
thanks alot haste. in the future ... do we pm you guys with our poll suggestions and you will make it for us?

yeah sure, I've encouraged it in the past and certainly do now - the feature is there so might aswell use it. The mods however will use their discretion when deciding whether its poll worthy or not ;)

option one...wish the greens were in power though although it doesn't look like it will ever happen :( I do have hope that future generations will change though...i am going to be the best teacher ever and create a whole new generation of hippies =D

hehehe ;)

^^ byron shire's new mayor is a member of the greens party.=D=D=D
i think this is the first case of a greens mayor being appointed, but i could be wrong....

... go the greens ...

As a republic, we get rid of that darn attorney general postiion. All it does is cost money and cause problems :X

No, I Declare This Bridge Open

diegoblunt said:

1. Fuck the monarchy

2. Lets stay the same

3. I don't care either way

%)

^^^
You couldn't step outta
yo' steelo fo' pullutickin'
could ya'

Even better fo' Haste
to replicate

Funny Shit.

Fuck Tha Monarail.
I hate those fuckin' Royal Trees
in their Domain.

To be honest I don't really think it matters. It won't change the way Australia involves herself with Britain and the US. We are in bed with them and this would only be a superficial change IMO. I guess we may as become a republic but doesn't really bother me, my life will stay the same. :)

Fuck you monarchy

I think it's important, symbolically, to have an Australian head of state as a reflection of this country being capable of standing on its own two feet.

Australia has changed immensely since federation over 100 years ago and has developed into a multicultural, individual and unique place. We should be seen to be able to look after ourselves. England does bugger all for us now anyway, the monarchy is just a tenuous link to history.

There's no reason that our head of state should be the king or queen of a country on the other side of the world other than conservatism.

The problem is that this country is run by baby boomers and will continue to be for the next 20 years. Their demographic is predominantly conservative and supports retention of the monarchy.

If you feel strongly enough about this become a member of the Australian republican movement.

And for the love of this country, get that bloody union jack off our flag.

Jamie Oliver (I'm not English! ;) )

i'm glad to see that "fuck the monarchy" is leaping ahead. smart bunch of people you guys are :)

Status
Not open for further replies.