• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Should I take Dextromethorphan Hbr?

Crimson-Syntax

Greenlighter
A week or so ago I drank 2 bottles of Dex polistirex (it didn't end well). I'm considering taking 200mg-500mg of Dex hbr. For most people there isn't much risk in this, however I'm on a lot of meds right now. I take 80mg of prozac and 10mg of abilify every day, and considering dex raises serotonin levels it makes me worry about serotonin syndrome.

So my question is: Is it safe for me to take such a high dose of dex hbr with the meds I'm already on? If so, would it help if I skipped a dose and then took it?

No, it is not safe. Please don't do this, you will be at risk for serotonin syndrome or at the very least a very unpleasant time. You don't need to take my word for it either, if you Google DXM and Prozac you will find countless stories of people doing this with terrible results. Skipping a day won't make any difference, Prozac has very persistent effects and it could take weeks for your serotonin system to readjust.

You say you had a bad time taking DXM Polystirex, what makes you think DXM HBr would be any different? DXM and SSRIs do not mix, period.

With the other meds you're taking, no it would be quite dangerous and irresponsible to take any recreational amount of DXM irregardless of whether it's HBr or Poly.

It would be safer to discontinue your meds and give them enough time to get out of your system before taking recreational doses of DXM, but you are probably on these other meds for good reason.

So, as Vastness posted, no it isn't safe or responsible to take high doses of DXM given your situation.

On second thought, maybe I won't take the dex. At least I hope, I don't know why but lately I've been trying a lot of OTC drugs. Thanks for the help Vastness and toothpastedog.

Someone died recently on a similar combo, check the shrine sub forum. He posted asking if it was OK to take it after he did and he died

On second thought, maybe I won't take the dex. At least I hope, I don't know why but lately I've been trying a lot of OTC drugs. Thanks for the help Vastness and toothpastedog.

No problem. OTC drugs are good because they're legal and tend to be somewhat regulated (depends on the drug of course). There are a lot of safer options out there though.

BL has a policy prohibiting the discussion of whether or not someone should take X, Y, or Z drug, so if this gets turns into a discussion about which is the best OTC drug or something it will have to be closed (or perhaps moved to DC). Just a heads up.