• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Should adderall be prescribed for not ADHD people?

Honestly it is way over-prescribed in the US in my opinion. I don't know anyone with legitimate ADHD, but I don't doubt that a very few people need it.

Topamax gave me kidney stones. They actually weren't as bad as I was expecting, but I did choose to have the remaining ones surgically removed instead of waiting to pass them (also I stopped taking Topamax).

were you drinking plenty of water, staying hydrated? would did you replace it with?

IMO, yes. Amphetimnes are precribed I know for people with chronic fatugue, Methamphetimine is given to people with narcolasy...so in IMO, tottally fine..and that goes for all other Meds(anxiety meds, pain meds, ADD meds, anti-deppresents). If the person is fine and doing better, thats kinda the point, not to be exhausted all day from chronic fatugue or wanting to blow their brains out once the natural remedies are not working and be able to get out and have a functional life. And on the tolerance issue you might bump into later, I found when I was taking ADD meds ( REALLY IS A MEDICAL DISORDER! To say not is BS and to go to natural remedies, give me a damn break(no offense). I was on Focalin, Adderall, and Vvynasse, my doc would switch my meds up every now and agian to help with the tolerance issue, which actually seemed to help.

IMO, yes. Amphetimnes are precribed I know for people with chronic fatugue, Methamphetimine is given to people with narcolasy...so in IMO, tottally fine..and that goes for all other Meds(anxiety meds, pain meds, ADD meds, anti-deppresents). If the person is fine and doing better, thats kinda the point, not to be exhausted all day from chronic fatugue or wanting to blow their brains out once the natural remedies are not working and be able to get out and have a functional life. And on the tolerance issue you might bump into later, I found when I was taking ADD meds ( REALLY IS A MEDICAL DISORDER! To say not is BS and to go to natural remedies, give me a damn break(no offense). I was on Focalin, Adderall, and Vvynasse, my doc would switch my meds up every now and agian to help with the tolerance issue, which actually seemed to help.

Exactly. I know people who have narcolepsy who take Adderall for it.

I also know people who have ADD who are or were on Adderall/Dexedrine. I'm one of them. If you have ADD or ADHD you don't get high from Adderall or Dexedrine, or even Ritalin. The people I know who have ADHD it gets them to calm down, and for myself I didn't get high from it and I would sometimes fall asleep while on it.

ADHD, and ADD do actually exist and are real. But you will have a lot of people who claim they have ADD or ADHD who really don't and they just want the Adderall, Dexedrine, etc. to get high on.

lets see i tried and failed on depakote, lithium, tegretol, lamictal.. those are the ones i can remember off the top off my head at least.. they've always tried to get me to try antipsychotics and i adamantly refuse anything with the potential for tardive dyskinesia.

I worked in an institution and have seen its full effects when people would on 'drug holidays' .. atypical or traditional doesn't matter to me.. if it's listed as a possible side effect, however slight.. I'm not going to ingest it.

Nonetheless, i've injected many suspect solutions over the years from everclear/fent solutions, all sorts of pills, black tar cut with who knows what, oral solutions, CWE. ect ect ect... what can i saw i'm a walking contradiction...

Exactly. I know people who have narcolepsy who take Adderall for it.

I also know people who have ADD who are or were on Adderall/Dexedrine. I'm one of them. If you have ADD or ADHD you don't get high from Adderall or Dexedrine, or even Ritalin. The people I know who have ADHD it gets them to calm down, and for myself I didn't get high from it and I would sometimes fall asleep while on it.

ADHD, and ADD do actually exist and are real. But you will have a lot of people who claim they have ADD or ADHD who really don't and they just want the Adderall, Dexedrine, etc. to get high on.

Idk man. All uppers calm me down and usually couch lock me. They still get me really high though. ADHD meds calm me down the most. Even more so than weed. Everyone seems to have this idea that people with ADD/ADHD can't get high on the meds. But this isn't true. I struggle everyday with attention problems. I think almost everybody does. SO yeah it exists, but is it really enough of a problem to start habitual use of uppers? I think psychiatrists love to script them cuz they usually will keep the patient coming back and that's good business for them.

Except for LSD, all drugs calm me down as I'm happy to have them. That's the problem.

Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts) should be OTC, like amphetamine once was.

Idk man. All uppers calm me down and usually couch lock me. They still get me really high though. ADHD meds calm me down the most. Even more so than weed. Everyone seems to have this idea that people with ADD/ADHD can't get high on the meds. But this isn't true. I struggle everyday with attention problems. I think almost everybody does. SO yeah it exists, but is it really enough of a problem to start habitual use of uppers? I think psychiatrists love to script them cuz they usually will keep the patient coming back and that's good business for them.

While I agree that it's not necessarily fair to class the symptoms of ADD/ADHD as a disorder you cannot deny that the symptoms that accompany such a "disorder" are real.

Recently I was diagnosed with adult-add, and the subsequent prescription to methylphenidate has genuinely helped me. Without it I struggle to get anything done and it's incredibly frustrating. While I agree that attention problems are common there is definitely a sliding scale. It is normal to forget things from time to time, and to procrastinate, but if this is continuous then it really is a problem.

However I do not think that my mental processes are a "disorder," rather they are simply the way that my brain functions. Unfortunately for me the society in which I live does not view those who behave in such a way favourably and so I am offered medicinal help in an effort to combat it.

What is your objection to a medication also making you feel good? When the methylphenidate kicks in I definitely feel it working and that feeling compares favourably to stimulants I have taken for recreation in the past. But surely anything that has a positive effect will also make you feel good by definition?

Personally I feel that if something works for somebody then they should have access to that, regardless of their mental health situation or the label they have been given. In regard to the OP it seems almost cruel that something that has been working for them for so long is being taken away from them because it doesnt fit a certain criteria.

Well partly Potato Man, yes they do want patients coming back, it's how they make a living..I thought you said you didn't have or believe in ADD? I myself have it but don't take anything anymore, I was abusing the fuck outta them(Focalin 20's gone in 3/4 days, Adderall in 7 days, maybe a day or two more) At a medical dose(IE 10-20mg) I do get kinda sleepy can concentrate, but not fun at all. Now up that to Now go from 20mg a day to up to 150, it got me pretty tweeaked honeslty. Luckily I do not like uppers because Meth is the heroin here...just give me my Bupe and benzo's(Bupe prescribe, benzo's off the street) or a full-agonist opiate(cept heroin cuz none is around...makess no sense to me,pain pills are everywhere!)

There is no such thing as a cure for major depression. Even with mild depression - which is supposed to be treated with short-term medication and talk therapy - the aim is to relieve symptoms while you learn coping strategies, not make the depression go away. Most people with major depression who seek treatment will be taking medication for a substantial portion of their life, if not forever. This is totally normal and OK.

How can you assert that there is no cure to depression? That's a ridiculous claim.

I once suffered from an infection. I was prescribed antibiotics. The infection subsided after taking the antibiotics. I no longer suffer from the infection. The antibiotics cured the infection.

I once suffered from depression. I was prescribed CBT. The depression subsided after doing CBT. I no longer suffer with depression. The CBT cured the depression.

What's the difference?

While I agree that it's not necessarily fair to class the symptoms of ADD/ADHD as a disorder you cannot deny that the symptoms that accompany such a "disorder" are real.

Recently I was diagnosed with adult-add, and the subsequent prescription to methylphenidate has genuinely helped me. Without it I struggle to get anything done and it's incredibly frustrating. While I agree that attention problems are common there is definitely a sliding scale. It is normal to forget things from time to time, and to procrastinate, but if this is continuous then it really is a problem.

However I do not think that my mental processes are a "disorder," rather they are simply the way that my brain functions. Unfortunately for me the society in which I live does not view those who behave in such a way favourably and so I am offered medicinal help in an effort to combat it.

What is your objection to a medication also making you feel good? When the methylphenidate kicks in I definitely feel it working and that feeling compares favourably to stimulants I have taken for recreation in the past. But surely anything that has a positive effect will also make you feel good by definition?

Personally I feel that if something works for somebody then they should have access to that, regardless of their mental health situation or the label they have been given. In regard to the OP it seems almost cruel that something that has been working for them for so long is being taken away from them because it doesnt fit a certain criteria.

No well I have heard people tell me if you have ADHD the meds wont get you high which is obvious bullshit. I was addressing that.

I suffer to get ANYTHING I am disinterested in done efficiently. Right now I simply cannot focus on the work I have on my desk. Literally as I type I have shit to do but I CANNOT focus on it for long as it is so boring. However, if one was working a job they absolutely loved, then they won't have much problem focusing as they are interested in it. Like I can focus on anything I'm interested in. But my "ADD" kicks in once that shit gets boring.

With that being said, I will NEVER accept treatment for it as a strong cup of coffee does the trick if my sleep was off or something. But those amphetamines are no good to be doing everyday for something so petty.

I know how frustrating it can be though, literally looking at whatever and blanking out instantly only thinking about ANYTHING else cuz it's more interesting. When it gets that bad a simple cup of coffee works for me. I usually only have it to combat the itis after lunch and power through all the procrastinated work from the morning. I think of myself as the worst procrastinator in the entire world man. When I was 17 and I once started playing with Bionicles cuz I didn't wanna study.

Yeah man it's bad, but you cannot deny people let it defeat them and prefer to be on some shit. I for one wish to never have to be scripted benzos, stims or painkillers. And If i were scripted I'd never take em as directed. I have a surgery coming up and Tramacet and Morphine are the only available drugs that help it. They are gonna gimme Tram and they told me it's like a month of pain.. I'm quite concerned for picking up a physical addiction.

I just don't think it's worth listening to a psych tell you what YOU are experiencing and treat you how THEY see fit. This ends usually in addiction and the psych making you feel like you CANNOT get thru it on your own. That's how the last psychiatrist I went to had me feel. Told me I'll never leave the drug phase on my own. Guess what? I fucking did. I was diagnosed with severe anxiety and moderate depression. I accepted 0 pills and I'm as happy and calm as can be and I took nothing to help it.

Though I did treat the survey thing honestly, I just don't think it ever makes sense being on any of those drugs all day unless it's for fun.

Lol I once took 10mg d-amp after a big party on blow and shit cuz I had work the next day and I literally accomplished like everything. Without being high too. Only then it's justified IMO. SO I know once you even get a taste for that you're like, "yeah well i got ADHD man and these pills are the only thing that help"

It is the easy way out IMO. All of those "anti" drugs.

For what it counts, one of the hardest symptoms of depression I found to deal with was the fatigue/exhaustion. I asked my GP about trialling something to perk me up for when it was really getting to me and was offered Sertraline. When I suggested a small dose of Ritalin/Methylphenidate for pro re nata use I was literally laughed out of her office.

Later saw a private psychiatrist and explained that the fatigue/exhaustion was one of the worst symptoms to manage. He completely understood my own personal circumstances and was happy to prescribe me some Ritalin to use occasionally when I was really struggling.

I know it's important for doctors to try and 'treat' or tackle the underlying cause (which as of yet is unknown - so admittedly tricky) but I wish they'd look at the bigger picture and help with symptom management.

Yeah man it's bad, but you cannot deny people let it defeat them and prefer to be on some shit. I for one wish to never have to be scripted benzos, stims or painkillers.

I just don't think it's worth listening to a psych tell you what YOU are experiencing and treat you how THEY see fit. This ends usually in addiction and the psych making you feel like you CANNOT get thru it on your own. That's how the last psychiatrist I went to had me feel. Told me I'll never leave the drug phase on my own. Guess what? I fucking did. I was diagnosed with severe anxiety and moderate depression. I accepted 0 pills and I'm as happy and calm as can be and I took nothing to help it.

It is the easy way out IMO. All of those "anti" drugs.

PotatoMan, I REALLY agree with you on this. Back when I was diagnosed with 'Major Depressive Disorder' by my old doctor I was fed the 'chemical imbalance' story. He told me that the depression was caused by an imbalance of Serotonin/Dopamine/Norepinephrine and that I would have to take Venlafaxine/Effexor so that they could simply be re-balanced. It didn't help at all and every time I went back for my monthly check-up to say a) there's been no improvement in my mood and b) the venlafaxine was making me feel like shit, he just increased the dose and threw in a bit of Prozac for good measure because it 'works on different receptors so will help with fix the imbalance'. Within 12 months I was taking 450mg of Venlafaxine (the maximum licensed limit is 375 to be used in 'extreme circumstances') and also 40mg of Prozac.

After this, I saw a psychiatrist who fed me the same chemical imbalance bullshit and changed me over to Duloxetine/Cymbalta as 'it wasnt an exact science and we had to try alternatives until one balanced them properly' ... Over them 2 years I felt utterly powerless to help myself. Handcuffed by this diagnosis and prescription medication. I thought that I had a physiological deficiency of neurotransmitters in my brain and there was nothing I could do but keep taking these god-awful 'anti-depressants' so they could crack on with their 'rebalancing' job.

It wasn't until a friend with bi-polar told me that he was fed the same bullshit when he was diagnosed and recommended that I read The Myth of The Chemical Cure by Joanna Moncrieff - and it really opened my eyes to the absolute BULLSHIT that I'd been fed for years and years on end by a whole host of doctors and psychiatrists.

The day that I finished reading the book and had grown the the self-confidence to admit that my depression was absolutely not down to an unavoidable and unfortunate 'chemical imbalance' and that I could actually do a whole host of things by myself to manage it without the use of drugs, was the best day of my life. I felt so empowered, so in control, and I've never been better without them.

After having that diagnosis and that label slapped on me, it was so easy to then throw in the towel with EVERYTHING I did in life and excuse my own responsibility by saying 'well I have depression and there's nothing I can do about it because it's a chemical imbalance that I can't help so that's that' - but fuck me. What a load of shit that turned out to be. I'm not saying that all types of depression are the same, and that nobody needs medication to help, and that medication never helps... But the moment you're told that 'unfortunately you have X disorder and you need to take Y drug to bring it under control' is an absolute gift to stop taking responsibility for looking after yourself and putting the blame elsewhere.

I'm highly skeptical of those that say they need to take antidepressants and ADD/ADHD medication.

Depressing IMO is exactly what you mentioned above. Tired, exhausted - somehow incapable of doing things that others may do easily or naturally.

This discussion must be as old as the "research" ($$$) field psychology. Good luck in discussing with programmed sheep @PotatoMan =D

Selling speed to kids is a win-win-situation. When they're 18, they won't have any natural capacities left of triggering dopaminergic pathways anymore. They'll get depressed and without prospects, they'll sign into the army and end up as cannon fodder in the next US-bullshit-war.

Last edited: