• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Should adderall be prescribed for not ADHD people?

man you should have seen the last thread on the topic like this. It's just such a sensitive topic like religion and such that these people don't want to welcome the belief. But it is what it is. They can live their lives on pills for all I care. I'm just presenting an idea in this thread in hopes that some people endure these natural emotions from a different POV

60 mg dex daily for 12 years. No problems whatsoever.
They still work great. No burning out or turning into some kind of Speed-freak.
Everyone's got something. If it's not religion, then it is alcohol, smoking pot or whatever...
Amphetamine goes rather well with what I want to do/achieve. I never drink or smoke.

Whether someone "needs" ADHD meds...well, if they don't have them they probably aren't going to die. So in that sense no, they don't "need" them. But if those drugs contribute to a higher quality of life for an individual, why not? They're relatively safe when taken at a therapeutic dose.

Someone is diagnosed with ADHD when their symptoms become "medically significant", ie when basic functioning in this society is interrupted by aforementioned symptoms. Now whether a society that demands unlimited performance to (what in many cases is) a completely soul crushing career or academic pursuit contributes to a large degree in all of this...well, that's another discussion.

This discussion must be as old as the "research" ($$$) field psychology. Good luck in discussing with programmed sheep @PotatoMan =D

Selling speed to kids is a win-win-situation. When they're 18, they won't have any natural capacities left of triggering dopaminergic pathways anymore. They'll get depressed and without prospects, they'll sign into the army and end up as cannon fodder in the next US-bullshit-war.

It doesn't work that way. It's not as though low doses of amphetamines like Dexedrine, Vyvanse, or Adderall, or even Ritalin are actually meth, or change the brain and damage it the way meth does.

Yes there's desoxyn but that's really rare here in the United States to have it prescribed for ADD or ADHD.

I took low doses of Dexedrine and Adderall as a teenager for about 2 years, and this was under the medical supervision of a doctor and not a psychiatrist or psychologist.

I've talked to people who are meth addicts who either currently use meth, or who did in the past and they told me how low doses of Adderall, Dexedrine, etc. don't even compare to meth at all when it comes to actually depleting dopamine, messing with the brain/CNS, etc.

I believe some people adapted to be "physical laborers"
and others adapted to be "technical"

Those with the adaptation of a "physical laborer" find it difficult to concentrate in school, but have no issues maintaining a job and performing work related tasks.
Those that are "technical" already have no issue with maintaining good grades.

I personally think vyvanse and adderall should be offered much more liberally than it already is.

man you should have seen the last thread on the topic like this. It's just such a sensitive topic like religion and such that these people don't want to welcome the belief. But it is what it is. They can live their lives on pills for all I care. I'm just presenting an idea in this thread in hopes that some people endure these natural emotions from a different POV

Agree.

This discussion must be as old as the "research" ($$$) field psychology. Good luck in discussing with programmed sheep @PotatoMan =D

Selling speed to kids is a win-win-situation. When they're 18, they won't have any natural capacities left of triggering dopaminergic pathways anymore. They'll get depressed and without prospects, they'll sign into the army and end up as cannon fodder in the next US-bullshit-war.

Meth is highly neurotoxic, while Addreall/Dexedrine are not.

Very few people prescribed adderall or dexedrine take it 7 days a week/365 days a year. A lot take weekends off and a full week every month, or go for months not taking it while on vacation, thus stopping tolerance. Each comedown is your brain rebuilding itself.

Also, the tweakers I know who are/were into meth many of them did get dementia early in life, and they didn't even use meth daily and just used it on weekends but they have permanent damage to their brain from their use/abuse of crystal meth. But people who used Adderall or Dexedrine even the people who got addicted to one or both do not get dementia early.

I'm prescribed Vyvanse due to a chronic sleep disorder, without having ADHD. Prior to this rx i was sleeping upwards of 36 hours straight. So, my opinion is in some cases it should be prescribed for non ADHD patients. It really depends on the situation and is likely very uncommon.

As for everyone who believes that those of us who take meds don't see the flip side about going natural, that's not true. I worked at an apothecary, and some things work amazing, others didn't. I'm not against it if it works for you, I'm jealous that it does. I change my diet and other nonmedical options on top of meds--both are necessary.

I wish I didn't have chronic conditions, so I too wouldn't need medication. That must be awesome.

Extended release Ritalin was the only thing that brought me out of a life threatening depression. I am on the lowest dose and I only take it 5 days a week so I don't get "addicted".
Do what works for you. If you are not a drug addict then taking a stimulant to prevent a depression relapse makes sense, especially if your depression is severe & life threatening. But honestly, I would ask to switch to extended release. I personally can't take straight up adderall, it gives me the shakes and makes me feel high, whereas the extended release stuff just works to provide that motivation that other people take for granted.

How can you assert that there is no cure to depression? That's a ridiculous claim.

I once suffered from an infection. I was prescribed antibiotics. The infection subsided after taking the antibiotics. I no longer suffer from the infection. The antibiotics cured the infection.

I once suffered from depression. I was prescribed CBT. The depression subsided after doing CBT. I no longer suffer with depression. The CBT cured the depression.

What's the difference?

You're really lucky! I'm so glad to hear that you had that experience - I'm sure lots of people with the kind of depression that can be treated by therapy will find it reassuring. The current thinking on CBT is that it trains you to have appropriate coping mechanisms for depression and anxiety, not that it 'cures' you. I can imagine, though, that if your depression was primarily the result of negative thinking patterns, CBT could theoretically produce a functional cure.

It's also generally accepted that severe depression won't respond to therapy alone. I'm not speculating on your condition, but I'll note that there's a lot of different experiences that a person on the street would describe as "severe depression".

For what it counts, one of the hardest symptoms of depression I found to deal with was the fatigue/exhaustion. I asked my GP about trialling something to perk me up for when it was really getting to me and was offered Sertraline. When I suggested a small dose of Ritalin/Methylphenidate for pro re nata use I was literally laughed out of her office.

Later saw a private psychiatrist and explained that the fatigue/exhaustion was one of the worst symptoms to manage. He completely understood my own personal circumstances and was happy to prescribe me some Ritalin to use occasionally when I was really struggling.

I know it's important for doctors to try and 'treat' or tackle the underlying cause (which as of yet is unknown - so admittedly tricky) but I wish they'd look at the bigger picture and help with symptom management.

I've been prescribed modafinil for fibromyalgia related fatigue and it seems to be working OK at the moment. I know people without comorbid psych conditions who have been prescribed Ritalin for fibro/CFS. *shrug*