• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Short action benzos and withdrawal

Renald

Bluelighter
Can short acting benzodiazepines like triazolam and midazolam, if used for long time, cause withdrawal symptoms? Lets say both drugs have t1/2 of 2 hours, what means you will never achieve steady state concentration using it even every day, and you are "withdrawing" the drug every day, as the concentration of it drops almost to zero in several hours. Dont it mean very short acting benzos are safer in long term perspective?

No the opposite actually, they absorb and leave quickly so if you're using them constantly for a short period you'll come down quickly rather than if you used Valium (200 hour metabolite half life) if used for a short period it comes out very steady slowly meaning you can kinda take chances abusing Valium longer if that answers your question.. Kinda confused what you're asking though lol

I think what the above is true for the most part. I mean maybe if someone used them in low doses once a day with the right genetics....but I wouldn't count on it. In fact the short acting ones are more associated w/seizures (xanax)

I think long acting benzos influence your GABAa receptors for a much longer time compating them with short acting benzos, when your receptors are under the influence only for several hours. Just plain logic tells me short acting benzos are safer if used in adequate doses once a day.
The other thing is when you are withdrawing from a benzo. Surely, short acting benzo will not allow steady concentration , or you will need to drink it 10 times a day. For withdrawal long acting benzos of course are the best choice.

short acting benzos can absolutely cause w/d symptoms. be careful and good luck :)

This thread didn't start off very well...

Short acting benzos have the worst withdrawal in comparison to longer acting benzos. Repeated constant use over an extended period of time with high doses is going to require diazepam for a proper and safe taper so you don't risk having a seizure.

Long half life benzos are much safer than short ones. They are known to be less addicting and morish because the feeling lasts all day with say diazepam compared to alprazolam, which is very short acting and leaves you wanting more when it wears off a few hours after taking it.

The only thing you're right about are long acting benzos are best for withdrawal. Everything else in this thread besides what was posted by thelung is incorrect or isn't really answering your question.

Last edited:
The withdrawl time period will be less if you are on a short acting benzo such as xanax compared to klonopin. Benzo's like klonopin and diazepam have withdrawl's that last much longer. The only method in which one should come off of benzo's in my opinion is through a slow and ateady taper. Any benzo you use the risk of seizure is substantial if you cold turkey. Speaking from experience, having two seizures after a cold turkey wouldn't want anybody to go through it.

Short acting benzos have the worst withdrawal in comparison to longer acting benzos. Repeated constant use over an extended period of time with high doses is going to require diazepam for a proper and safe taper so you don't risk having a seizure.

Long half life benzos are much safer than short addicting ones. They are known to be less addicted and morish because the feeling lasts all day with say diazepam compared to alprazolam, which is very short acting and leaves you wanting more when it wears off a few hours after taking it.

The only thing you're right about are long acting benzos are best for withdrawal. Everything else in this thread besides what was posted by thelung is incorrect or isn't really answering your question.

This sums it up. Unlike methadone/heroin withdrawal you can die from benzo withdrawal hence it is not an option to CT after abusing short-acting benzos for a sustained period. (unlike with heroin where it is possible, the comparison being relevant as it is also short-acting) It's all about the risk of having a seizure.

Hatrix knows everything only listen to him he's god and the number 1 physician on the planet all hail hatrix

Long half life benzos are much safer than short ones. They are known to be less addicting and morish because the feeling lasts all day with say diazepam compared to alprazolam, which is very short acting and leaves you wanting more when it wears off a few hours after taking it.

Ok, how can you become dependant on triazolam or midazolam, lets choose these short acting benzos? I am not speaking about abusing them, but using them for their indications, let it be the usage in every evening for sleep induction. In the morning you are absolutely sober from both drugs due to their short duration of action. Maybe you can become dependant if you use them for a very long time, but time required should be longer as with long duration benzos, which are influencing your receptors all the day long.
Maybe there are studies comparing dependance potential of equivalent dosages of different duration of action benzos? My hypothesis say such benzos as midazolam and triazolam will require the longest duration of usage to cause withdrawal symptoms if stopped. Why the opposite?

^
yah let's say 15 mg of midazolam 1-4 hours , that's 7.5 mg after 4 hours , 3.25 after 8 , 1.65 after 12 , 0.8 after 16 , 0.4 after 20 , 0. 2 after 24.

let's just say even with an extremely short-acting benzo you will still need 12-24 hours get it all out of your system

George H. W. Bush was dependent on triazolam during his presidency, couldn't get off it. Relevent? Who cares? :p

^
yah let's say 15 mg of midazolam 1-4 hours , that's 7.5 mg after 4 hours , 3.25 after 8 , 1.65 after 12 , 0.8 after 16 , 0.4 after 20 , 0. 2 after 24.

let's just say even with an extremely short-acting benzo you will still need 12-24 hours get it all out of your system

And this means you will be at least half a day with a dose, what is clinically insignificant and your receptor would be almost not effected. With intermediate or long half-life benzo your receptor would be influenced all the time without interruptions. The longer time the receptor is influenced by a substance, the more disregulated it become.
I am not saying these benzos are not addictive, but I want either to prove or to negative my hypothesis I wrote several posts earlier.

And this means you will be at least half a day with a dose, what is clinically insignificant and your receptor would be almost not effected.
^^^ This sentence does not make any sense.

With intermediate or long half-life benzo your receptor would be influenced all the time without interruptions. The longer time the receptor is influenced by a substance, the more disregulated it become.
I am not saying these benzos are not addictive
^^^ And this is not neccesarily true - in fact - it's way off.