• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Shooting if youre overweight

Wonderwoman88

Greenlighter
This is the most frustrating shit ever. I've been a shooter on and off for over ten years. And I have always had a hard time finding veins. I'm considered obese according to the bmi chart. I'm wondering if that's the reason why, or if I just have shit veins. Is anyone else overweight that shoots? What do you do if you can't see any veins?

Feel them. Make somebody else feel them, they can find them good. Google where good veins are, feel them around the areas and you should be good.
I'm not overweight but my veins aren't very visible because of long time shooting up since young age.

I'm not overweight now (thank you meth) but I have been while trying to shoot drugs in the past (thankyou antipsychotics) - best advice shoot under a really direct high wattage bright light and pull the skin tight over the approximate area - you should be able to see major veins in your elbows at least that way.

I'm not overweight now (thank you meth) but I have been while trying to shoot drugs in the past (thankyou antipsychotics) - best advice shoot under a really direct high wattage bright light and pull the skin tight over the approximate area - you should be able to see major veins in your elbows at least that way.
In legs and feet there are good veins.

I too am overweight, but have like yourself shot on and off for years. My veins are absolutely HORRIBLE!!! I strongly encourage you to STAY AWAY FROM THE LEGS!!! I have a friend who lost her leg from a miss, and I ALMOST lost mine from a miss! I registered, it never burned, everything went fine until I got it all in and there was no rush to follow..... Nothing! I have a big scar left from the very deep hole that my fist could fit down into. Also, my veins in my legs blow easily usually about halfway through or right there at the end of the hit and a knot comes up. Although..... There is a huge main vein (I think it's called femur??) That runs to your heart and down your leg..... I think most people when they find it usually go in the groin area. Anyone with more experience please correct me if I'm wrong. I have taken a flash light and in the dark put it close (touching at times) to the skin and ran it down my arms moving it around as need to see my veins, then had someone mark the vein with a pen. If you EVER try veins in your breast..... BE VERY CAREFUL ITS EXTREMELY EXTREMELY PAINFUL IF YOU MISS EVEN JUST A LITTLE! And whatever you do be choosy about who you let hit you..... Not everyone are the phlebotomist they think they are!!! Oh take a hot bath or get up and move some stuff around with a little weight to it..... Your veins will pop up when your heart starts pumping that blood faster. And stay hydrated..... Makes a huge difference!!!

Are you male or female? Women have notoriously shit veins which are also hidden by layers of subcutaneous fat. But if you're Male and having the same issues then yes, it is possibly due to your obesity.

The best advice I or anyone else can give you is, if you cant find it, then don't try.

Veins are designed for blood, not getting off your tits...

This is the most frustrating shit ever. I've been a shooter on and off for over ten years. And I have always had a hard time finding veins. I'm considered obese according to the bmi chart. I'm wondering if that's the reason why, or if I just have shit veins. Is anyone else overweight that shoots? What do you do if you can't see any veins?
You did not mention what drug you were trying to shoot - but when my veins are all tapped out I find plugging meth (and MDMA) gives a pretty satisfying rush that comes on fast. It’s a safer alternative to going poking about with a needle hoping to hit something you can’t see or feel.

You did not mention what drug you were trying to shoot - but when my veins are all tapped out I find plugging meth (and MDMA) gives a pretty satisfying rush that comes on fast. It’s a safer alternative to going poking about with a needle hoping to hit something you can’t see or feel.
I once plugged heroin shot when i couldn't find vein, of course i had dropped too much citric acid and my anus was on fire. No more plugging for me.

If you go direct into main vein crook of arm you may register. Some people have it deeper then others, im talking like a steep angle in. Maybe worth a try.

Otherwise a tourniquet fairly tight around forearm and into hands or wrists, careful though it hurts like hell if you hit a tendon and those veins are small so you need a steady hand. Reregister partway thru be careful not to miss, if you see or feel anything at all when injecting, stop.

Feet and ankles can be done too, and are probably least fatty part of body but be doubly careful over hands even.

If you go direct into main vein crook of arm you may register. Some people have it deeper then others, im talking like a steep angle in. Maybe worth a try.

Otherwise a tourniquet fairly tight around forearm and into hands or wrists, careful though it hurts like hell if you hit a tendon and those veins are small so you need a steady hand. Reregister partway thru be careful not to miss, if you see or feel anything at all when injecting, stop.

Feet and ankles can be done too, and are probably least fatty part of body but be doubly careful over hands even.
From a harm reduction point of view I would caution against just jabbing away at your inner elbow and hoping you hit something. Also feet and ankles are the hardest to hit and very susceptible to collapse as well as to infection - best avoided if at all possible. However, what you say about wrist i agree with - though they do roll a lot and can be hard to pin down.

From a harm reduction point of view I would caution against just jabbing away at your inner elbow and hoping you hit something. Also feet and ankles are the hardest to hit and very susceptible to collapse as well as to infection - best avoided if at all possible. However, what you say about wrist i agree with - though they do roll a lot and can be hard to pin down.
Yeah youre probably right. Its just worked for me and another person before.

About the rolling, this is a tricky move to do one handed but aim the needle at the side somewhat and parallel just in, take your pointing finger and tap the needle in one quick motion. Both the aim and the speed of this will help stop that roll.

About the rolling, this is a tricky move to do one handed but aim the needle at the side somewhat and parallel just in, take your pointing finger and tap the needle in one quick motion. Both the aim and the speed of this will help stop that roll.
Nice tip. Thanks.

I too am overweight, but have like yourself shot on and off for years. My veins are absolutely HORRIBLE!!! I strongly encourage you to STAY AWAY FROM THE LEGS!!! I have a friend who lost her leg from a miss, and I ALMOST lost mine from a miss! I registered, it never burned, everything went fine until I got it all in and there was no rush to follow..... Nothing! I have a big scar left from the very deep hole that my fist could fit down into. Also, my veins in my legs blow easily usually about halfway through or right there at the end of the hit and a knot comes up. Although..... There is a huge main vein (I think it's called femur??) That runs to your heart and down your leg..... I think most people when they find it usually go in the groin area. Anyone with more experience please correct me if I'm wrong. I have taken a flash light and in the dark put it close (touching at times) to the skin and ran it down my arms moving it around as need to see my veins, then had someone mark the vein with a pen. If you EVER try veins in your breast..... BE VERY CAREFUL ITS EXTREMELY EXTREMELY PAINFUL IF YOU MISS EVEN JUST A LITTLE! And whatever you do be choosy about who you let hit you..... Not everyone are the phlebotomist they think they are!!! Oh take a hot bath or get up and move some stuff around with a little weight to it..... Your veins will pop up when your heart starts pumping that blood faster. And stay hydrated..... Makes a huge difference!!!
Thank you for the advice. I have done the flashlight trick. I wish it worked better than it actually does. It's only kind of helpful.

Are you male or female? Women have notoriously shit veins which are also hidden by layers of subcutaneous fat. But if you're Male and having the same issues then yes, it is possibly due to your obesity.

The best advice I or anyone else can give you is, if you cant find it, then don't try.

Veins are designed for blood, not getting off your tits...
Female. A decade of on and off again shooting hasn't helped either.

Just shot up for first time no tourniquet. Must have found vein. Instant pain relief.. veterans Administration left me with UNHEALED bones and took methadone and norco away in December. Doesn't even matter anymore. Don't know if needle even clean bought off street. Wont matter anyway come Sunday. I'm done going broke every month over their negligence.

Just shot up for first time no tourniquet. Must have found vein. Instant pain relief.. veterans Administration left me with UNHEALED bones and took methadone and norco away in December. Doesn't even matter anymore. Don't know if needle even clean bought off street. Wont matter anyway come Sunday. I'm done going broke every month over their negligence.
Sounds like you were pretty lucky. I would never find a vein without a tourniquet. Also sounds like you are going through some troubling times at the moment. I’m really sorry to hear that. Desperation of relief can make us addicts do some unthinking things in the moment but please do what you can to minimise your risks shooting up. A tiny bit of patience to get a clean needle (or bleach a used one if no other choice) and getting your shot registered in the vein can save you from all kinds of risks.

I don’t know how experienced you are but it might be worth checking out this thread for tips on safer techniques: https://www.bluelight.org/xf/threads/⫸injections-i-v-faqs-info-megathread⫷.793454/

I'm overweight and female but my veins are all very visible. In fact my arms are full of blue veins! So it's not automatic that if you're overweight you can't find veins. They must be tiny veins yours.
My sister is smaller than me and has shit veins that don't pop out like mine.