• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Shooting Benadryl

I received IV diphenhydramine in the hospital a while back.. at the time I took 75mg for sleep at home but orally. For some reason they gave me 75mg IV instead and the difference was astounding it threw me into a slightly deleterious state even at such a low dose, shadows moving, some CEV’s and sedation was markedly more intense. It wasn’t entirely unenjoyable however I’m not sure I would risk injecting the pills. Just doesn’t sound like a great idea.
happened to me too. i was so pissed.

happened to me too. i was so pissed.
Right!? That was so uncomfortable and made it impossible to actually sleep even with my usual zolpidem dose. They ended up giving me 4mg if lorazepam IV which stopped the trip immediately but that took a few hours still. Still was quite the bad experience.

I was in for burn injuries and a month of IV vancomycin after they fucked up and infected me w/MRSA post skin graft. I was very stressed by the situation, unable to sleep. they were unwilling to give me a bzd. I spoke to the dr on staff in desperation and he readily agreed to putting dip on my chart. Even orally, i find it generally a little too stimulating for sleep. 10pm rolls around im like "yo, lemme get that pm" and nurse rolls in with a syringe. I was nearly crying at this point because I knew this was gonna be effed. I was desperate. Shit had an effing rush! like kinda coke like sound distortion (25mg IV) and BAM I was tripping balls. Just went on like that all night, they didn't give me shit else, and i tripped in my bed strapped to bags. dip trip :pPP If I wasn't in for burns, that would probably have been the traumatic part of the experience :D

moral of the story: if you are in a hospital setting, ALWAYS specify the MOA when asking for something new on your chart.
Oh! and dip trips suck! let's chart this out:

pros
slightly sleepyish
less histamine response
maybe 5-10% increase
of ope effects

cons
cardiotoxic
injury possible
long term anti-cholinergic cognitive damage
SPIDERS CRAWLING ALL OVER YOUR SKIN
-------------------------------------
??? this is a discussion ??? lmao

if you have opes, just take them. it absolutely is not worth the risk of injecting pill filler/insolubles to have an awful trip w your dope.

Last edited:
I was in for burn injuries and a month of IV vancomycin after they fucked up and infected me w/MRSA post skin graft. I was very stressed by the situation, unable to sleep. they were unwilling to give me a bzd. I spoke to the dr on staff in desperation and he readily agreed to putting dip on my chart. Even orally, i find it generally a little too stimulating for sleep. 10pm rolls around im like "yo, lemme get that pm" and nurse rolls in with a syringe. I was nearly crying at this point because I knew this was gonna be effed. I was desperate. Shit had an effing rush! like kinda coke like sound distortion (25mg IV) and BAM I was tripping balls. Just went on like that all night, they didn't give me shit else, and i tripped in my bed strapped to bags. dip trip :pPP If I wasn't in for burns, that would probably have been the traumatic part of the experience :D

moral of the story: if you are in a hospital setting, ALWAYS specify the MOA when asking for something new on your chart.
Oh! and dip trips suck! let's chart this out:

pros cons
slightly sleepyish cardiotoxic
less histamine response injury possible
maybe 5-10% increase long term anti-cholinergic cognitive damage
of ope effects SPIDERS CRAWLING ALL OVER YOUR SKIN

-------------------------------------
??? this is a discussion ??? lmao

if you have opes, just take them. it absolutely is not worth the risk of injecting pill filler/insolubles to have an awful trip w your dope.
Diph trips do suck some of the most terrifying trips of my life were on diph I bailed out of a car on the highway after a massive dose of diph.. still not sure how I didn’t die from that one 🤦🏻

I've IV'd Benadryl preparation for injection (in 50mg/mL vials) before. It potentiates heroin particularly the rush so I used it for that purpose. I'd just dissolve the dope in the benadryl solution, usually a full mL in a syringe. Meanwhile, done by itself, which I tried up to 100mg, which is a lot, it has a definite rush and then puts you into a bit of a stupor, but I wouldn't call it euphoric or anything. I never got the delirious effects of high-dose DPH from injecting these doses, though.

The rush is oddly reminiscent of that of cocaine given that it's nothing like cocaine (not stimulating or euphoric.) It's difficult to describe. Benztropine (Cogentin), another anticholinergic, also his this when i.v.'d, which makes a bit more sense as it's a tropane, as is cocaine. That's not as stimulating, though, and none of these are euphoric. There's a bit of a body high which is done pretty quickly and gives way to a not-very-fun kind of sedation.

It's basically not a recreational drug by any measure. Definitely something for bored people with needle fetishes. I can sort of see the appeal if that's you though. And is pretty good at adding a little kick to dope (also could push you into "oh shit I'm dead" territory with a dope shot that wouldn't otherwise.) It makes the dope rush harder but honestly makes the high a little less enjoyable afterwards.

All in all not worth it, even in a form meant for injection. What needs to be said about shooting pills has already been said. Mega bad idea. The capsules are probably better than the pills which are pretty bad (edit: misspoke, see below.) Injecting the liquid out of the liquicaps is probably worst of all, it's not simply a solution in water or anything, it has all sorts of shit in there. Just don't inject anything from pills. Incredibly bad idea.

Last edited:
I've IV'd Benadryl preparation for injection (in 50mg/mL vials) before. It potentiates heroin particularly the rush so I used it for that purpose. I'd just dissolve the dope in the benadryl solution, usually a full mL in a syringe. Meanwhile, done by itself, which I tried up to 100mg, which is a lot, it has a definite rush and then puts you into a bit of a stupor, but I wouldn't call it euphoric or anything. I never got the delirious effects of high-dose DPH from injecting these doses, though.

The rush is oddly reminiscent of that of cocaine given that it's nothing like cocaine (not stimulating or euphoric.) It's difficult to describe. Benztropine (Cogentin), another anticholinergic, also his this when i.v.'d, which makes a bit more sense as it's a tropane, as is cocaine. That's not as stimulating, though, and none of these are euphoric. There's a bit of a body high which is done pretty quickly and gives way to a not-very-fun kind of sedation.

It's basically not a recreational drug by any measure. Definitely something for bored people with needle fetishes. I can sort of see the appeal if that's you though. And is pretty good at adding a little kick to dope (also could push you into "oh shit I'm dead" territory with a dope shot that wouldn't otherwise.) It makes the dope rush harder but honestly makes the high a little less enjoyable afterwards.

All in all not worth it, even in a form meant for injection. What needs to be said about shooting pills has already been said. Mega bad idea. The capsules are probably even worse than the pills which are pretty bad. Injecting the liquid out of the liquicaps is probably worst of all, it's not simply a solution in water or anything, it has all sorts of shit in there. Just don't inject anything from pills. Incredibly bad idea.
I would have to agree shooting pills is all around a bad idea.. I suppose if one got diphenhydramine pure powder it wouldn’t be as bad of an idea..but I know the caps are quite a popular additive as a cut in other drugs and I would think whatever filler they use in the capsules could be removed quite easily with a filter. Not endorsing it by any means however I think the capsules would be the least harmful route to go if you can’t obtain a pure powder.

I would have to agree shooting pills is all around a bad idea.. I suppose if one got diphenhydramine pure powder it wouldn’t be as bad of an idea..but I know the caps are quite a popular additive as a cut in other drugs and I would think whatever filler they use in the capsules could be removed quite easily with a filter. Not endorsing it by any means however I think the capsules would be the least harmful route to go if you can’t obtain a pure powder.
Yeah, both pure diphenhydramine sourced from the usual places, and probably on a smaller scale the contents of Benadryl capsules, are definitely used in cutting heroin. I actually misspoke above, the capsules probably are the safest route. Inactive ingredients in the contents of the shell are listed as "anhydrous lactose, lactose monohydrate and magnesium stearate." Lactose is very common as a cutting agent in drugs so people are probably putting that in their veins anyway. Magnesium stearate is a little more problematic as it's not soluble in water, although it's not toxic. The little pink pills are going to contain all sorts of horrible shit OTOH.

e2a: Note I'm talking about the pills filled with powder. The capsules filled with gel contain God knows what that's going to clog up your veins something terrible and are probably even worse than the dry pills.

Last edited:
Yeah, both pure diphenhydramine sourced from the usual places, and probably on a smaller scale the contents of Benadryl capsules, are definitely used in cutting heroin. I actually misspoke above, the capsules probably are the safest route. Inactive ingredients in the contents of the shell are listed as "anhydrous lactose, lactose monohydrate and magnesium stearate." Lactose is very common as a cutting agent in drugs so people are probably putting that in their veins anyway. Magnesium stearate is a little more problematic as it's not soluble in water, although it's not toxic. The little pink pills are going to contain all sorts of horrible shit OTOH.
Oh yeah those little pink nightmares would be a disaster for your veins. They can cause enough damage orally..

Just to clarify as to what OP was talking about, now here's the contents of the gel-caps: gelatin, glycerin, polyethylene glycol, purified water, and sorbitol. This is problematic to say the least. Super dangerous. Just because it's liquid doesn't mean it's shootable.

So just an update.
Tonight she was feeling "extra anxious" and wanted to try injecting an entire box of benadryl. (Again, basically milked the liquid out of capsules into the barrel and shot.)
Mid push, she hit the kitchen floor. Smashed her head off of the oven door rail on the way down. Seized for I'm not sure how long, foaming at the mouth. Now I am not drug-culture naive and I'm medically trained but this gave me the scare of a lifetime. I did the recovery position, continually splashed her face with some cold compress, and cleared her airway. She woke up. THIS TIME. She has her faculties to her...THIS TIME. I have no idea exactly what happened but I don't want to guess. It was a sign that I pray she will receive...but I won't know until tomorrow or next week when her anxiety kicks up and she mentions it. I thank you all for the replies.

I found some pure diphenhydramine online a number of years ago. Mixed it with fentanyl for a more sedated high. I never shot it, but knew people who did... and they were okay. but if you're talking like those pink tablets from the drug store crushed up no no no no don't do that. There insolubles in there... that will freaking stop your heart.

It could increase the rush somewhat when mixed with heroin but not substantially. Reduces some side-effects and increases sedation. Diphenhydramine is a common heroin cut for these reasons.

There are no good reasons to do it. Still it can be done i suppose with the same risks as any other pills (so long as tablets are used and not bead containing capsules). There are of course diphenhydramine liquid capsules but who knows what kind of oils are in there.

The bottom line is: its not recommended. If you do, use tablets. Filter first with cotton then put the resulting solution through a micron filter.
Diphenhydramine + heroin = cheese. Or does codeine + acetaminophen = cheese? I mean, i take ZzzQuil in conjunction with opiates as a potentiator. I never take big doses of diphenhydramine though (or at least not anymore). I don't find dissociatives fun at all and I certainly wouldn't recommend shooting it.

Last edited:
I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would wanna do that. Even when taken orally in high doses its a very unpleasant dissociative. I only take it in a nightly recommended dose of ZzzQuil ("not habit forming" my ass). In low doses its an effective sleep aid. In high doses it can actually cause insomnia.

Last edited:
So just an update.
Tonight she was feeling "extra anxious" and wanted to try injecting an entire box of benadryl. (Again, basically milked the liquid out of capsules into the barrel and shot.)
Mid push, she hit the kitchen floor. Smashed her head off of the oven door rail on the way down. Seized for I'm not sure how long, foaming at the mouth. Now I am not drug-culture naive and I'm medically trained but this gave me the scare of a lifetime. I did the recovery position, continually splashed her face with some cold compress, and cleared her airway. She woke up. THIS TIME. She has her faculties to her...THIS TIME. I have no idea exactly what happened but I don't want to guess. It was a sign that I pray she will receive...but I won't know until tomorrow or next week when her anxiety kicks up and she mentions it. I thank you all for the replies.
That's so dangerous. She should take that as a warning to never do that again. Benadryl wasn't meant to be injected. This is gonna sound horrible, but she'd be better off shooting drugs that were at least meant to be injected.

So just an update.

She needs to be in inpatient care. She'll probably die at this rate.

e2a: Note I'm talking about the pills filled with powder. The capsules filled with gel contain God knows what that's going to clog up your veins something terrible and are probably even worse than the dry pills.
I know this is an old post, just happened to see it while looking up collapsing or clogging your veins.

I hope this info can help someone:
I spent a couple years IV'ing Benadryl (Benny's). I did it way too much, like couple capsules at a time several times a day.
Over the counter, equate brand, never tried the hard pink ones, always the clear/pink caps filled with powder.
I would just pinch off the end, dump it into a bottle cap and dump up to 3 or 4 of these at a time. Usually two. I would then do the ritual, draw and into the arm.
It should be noted that during this whole period, I was detoxing from opiates. Not acute detoxing, but more like the long drawn out slow burn detox.
Between the 'ritual' and the little woosy feeling I'd get from the Bennys, it would scratch that little itch for a while.
So, here's what eventually happened.
For a long time, there was no signs of any problems at all. This is actually kind of where I first ever had a vein collapse or become unusable. In short, the white residue leaves a little bit behind each time.
Now sure, everything leaves behind something, but this stuff is like concrete. Just take some and mix with water and let it dry, once it's sat overnight, it's hard as a brick and does not seem to become soluble again, just breaks into tinier 'chunks' when you water it.
So, increased blood pressure for sure, and still have that to this day, almost 10-11 years later without touching them. Which, I have zero desire to ever do that again.
If I did not have my prison sentence when it was, which forced me to stop anything until a few years in anyways, after I learned how everything works and then you can get whatever.
Side note: bennadryl is/was popular in prison, because you could easily enough complain to medical about allergies, and the second med after the initial was benadryl. (U had to complain the first med did not work). And then some convicts got the 50mg caps after that.
Users would consume the whole pill sheet, which held about 30 25mg Benny's, and be so dry mouthed and lightheaded off their ass, they would stay up all night and just not be in their right mind, lighting things on fire 🔥 etc, in a cellblock, def not thinking clear.

So, please, from someone who got lucky with years of abusing them. Swallow them, plug them, whatever you want to, just don't IV them.

You may be fine, for a long time, but eventually your arteries and veins will solidify and shutdown.

I still have hypertension, and when stressed or hot 🔥🥵 it goes way up, like 190/120 the other day. Also have problems with my circulation, arms will go numb while sleeping and hands and feet frequently while awake and moving. I can never give plasma to earn money or just to do it anyways. I've tried, my blood never has a high enough "clear liquid content" and they always were like, you must be dehydrated just drink XYZ before you come back. Well it does not matter how much water or Gatorade or coconut water you drink or fasting, never goes back to normal. Try feeling eternally like you need to drink something because you feel dry all the time.
Heat exhaustion comes much easier. Probably a lot more stuff I can't even think of right now.
*Just don't, it will long term fuk you up.

This is honestly just stupid. I know we all have stories though

I lived in a beach town as a teenager and me and a buddy were robotripp ii ng one day and walking along the beach. We ran into a couple dudes who wanted to hang out so we did. The one guy wanted to get high on gravol, so he went into a convenience store and bought a box. He crushed a pill and snorted it off the sill on the side of the store. It was ginger gravol.

It wasn't me i shot it

Oh damn I didn't read the thread at first. Now I feel bad for making a snark.

I hope this person managed to survive this ordeal. That is an insane thing to do. Like, a once regular and experienced user of hard drugs who can creatively IV a substance. Not an amateur.

But horribly desperate. This was quite the read.

I thought I'd leave one last update here, albeit a horrifically sad one.
My friend is now gone. Taken too soon. I couldn't help her, I couldn't save her. There were a whole lot of f#$&*d up things that happened in our friendship from this shit but she was still someone I loved and cared so very much about.
May she rest in final peace.

I wanna take time to thank all of you who gave me replies when I had no one else to turn to. Thank you for the advice, the support, just thank you for this community. 🙏