• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

shoes over powerlines

The movie 'Wag the Dog' with Robert De Niro and Dustin Hoffman has a scene involving shoes being thrown up onto power lines, but this is by no means where it originated.

If shoes hanging from power lines signify a drug dealer, does a dead bat hanging upside down from power lines signal one who got busted? :)

bRAVEheart

I went to Costa Rica back in '96 and there were shoes thrown over the powerlines a lot, especially in the poorer neighbourhoods. Dealers? Nah, just a local tradition of a fun way to throw out a dead pair of shoes.

I agree that here it's just a drunken idea that seemed good at the time.

Spike Lee's Crooklyn has two young ghetto kids throwing their shoes over the powerlines right at the start and they're not drug dealers. It's been in stacks of films tho, I just can't remember what they were... Did they do it in Stand By Me?

I would do this, but I lost my shoes after a drunken haze at earthcore, came too wandering around in my socks and never saw mah shoes again :(

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Once I attacked an old man on the sidewalk with a shoe

I think they show you a pair of shoes hanging from power lines from 'Friday' or was it 'Don't be a menace in South Central while drinking your juice in the hood'?

I always presumed it was done when a friend died or a gang member or something similar. Obviously only poor people would uphold such a stupid act of rememberance so maybe that's why they are only found (or mostly found) in poor areas?

I don't think it is to show gang areas or something like that. Shoes aren't cheap people!

dont be a menace to south central while your drinking your juice in the hood

thats the best movie ever. does anyone no where i could buy a copy of it, ive chekked evriwher i can think of and no1 can even order it in.

Pleonastic said:
Yeah, and apparantly whenever the Franco Cottzo ad comes on TV it means there's a new shipment of heroin just arrived.
could there be more truth to this than one thinks? ;)
he generally would go an ad campain when new stock arrives, and if he were to be "the man" then i suspect the smack would come in the furniture containers. there's been plenty of rumours about the franko family over the years... but that's what we all think when we see successful migrants.
asians with flash bimmers, and we think smack dealer (or overseas student!) etc etc etc.

but on topic...
shoes over powerlines, yeah we got a pair on the corner... and the adjacent house is hot as, has been for years. i'll see if i can map some in my circle.

I have seen the shoes on the power lines heaps as well as someone putting bra and jox onto a tree that had 2 lumps in it like titties.

My dad would tell me how they'd throw bicycle chains/locks over the powerlines to get sparks.

I wonder, i live in an area with underground powerlines with these box things on the footpath at each house and i can assure you there are drug dealers in this area so i ask you this.. if the drug dealer theory is true.. what would one use if they have no overhead powerlines ??

8o

Shoes over powerlines actually mean something far more sinister than drug dealers.

It goes back to Cardiff, in the late 1960's when several young men and women went missing at various outdoor parties and festivals. Their shoes were found on nearby powerlines.

Scary thing is, they re-appeared in 1972 with all thier clothes (bar shoes) with no memory of where they had been.

Under hypnosis, it was revealed they had been abducted by aliens!

it was in NEXUS magazine, so it HAS to be true ;)

JohnM

shoes on power lines?

[EDIT: Merged with a very, very old thread. hoptis]

Its Australian folk law that where you see shoes hanging on powerlines it means there is a drug dealer In one of the houses around it. This was mentioned on the chaser a month or so ago. So i thought bluelight would be the best place to ask this question.

So to anyones knowledge what does shoes hanging on the powerlines mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know were i heard this but it wasnt on "the chaser". I think its true though because i see shoes hanging on power lines all over the poorer areas were in live. Ive heard this a lot of times from different people and if you think about it ... what else could they represent.

I remenber growing up 4 fun u use to tackle a friend or in some cases some kid u didnt like grab there shoes quickly tie lases while others held them off and try to throw them on the lines , shoes were cheaper back them tho well the 1s we threw were but it would still happen today 4same reason im sure.

ambien_date said:
So to anyones knowledge what does shoes hanging on the powerlines mean?

It means someone threw some shoes over a set of powerlines. Nothing to it really.

I have heard that before.. But I've also seen kids do it to old shoes, myself included when waiting for a bus or after school.