• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Shift work sleep disorder?

Vagabond696

Moderator: AADD
Staff member
So I work night shift, 12hrs 7am-7pm and over the summer my sleep has been way out of whack!

I try to get to bed by 9am and aim to get up around 4pm, but of late have been often waking much earlier. Between 1pm-3pm and suffering from mega fatigue. I also already have sleep apnea and sleep with a CPAP.

Any other shift workers struggling like this? How do you cope? Any strategies that work for you?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The only other advice I could give is generic like, you have to make a sleep schedule that you keep even on days off (which is not helpful when you’re on night shift times). Take Melatonin? Don’t get too much light in the morning- wear sunglasses when you leave work. Sleep in a very dark room with eye mask and earbuds with your CPAP machine. Try relaxation techniques if you have trouble getting back to sleep. Progressive muscle relaxation is a good one.

Best advice is to stop doing night shift though!

The only other advice I could give is generic like, you have to make a sleep schedule that you keep even on days off (which is not helpful when you’re on night shift times). Take Melatonin? Don’t get too much light in the morning- wear sunglasses when you leave work. Sleep in a very dark room with eye mask and earbuds with your CPAP machine. Try relaxation techniques if you have trouble getting back to sleep. Progressive muscle relaxation is a good one.

Best advice is to stop doing night shift though!
Thanks. Yeah days off schedule wouldn't work due to housemate and GF working daytime hours.
Always sunnies when I leave work. Room is pretty dark and I cool it down as much as possible but still live in Australia, haha.

Currently trying melatonin again, too. I have a stash of Armodafinil and speed for the really hard days, but that's not a habit I'd like to stick with. Same with benzos when I get home from work.

That wasn't generic that seemed helpful Sirena.

Anyway i think that must he tough with the sleep apnea. My friend has that. How does it come into play? Has your doctor spoken to you about this?

That wasn't generic that seemed helpful Sirena.

Anyway i think that must he tough with the sleep apnea. My friend has that. How does it come into play? Has your doctor spoken to you about this?
My doctor has given me a script for melatonin and I have valium as a PRN for my CPTSD.

As for the apnea, it just makes matters worse as all the sleep issues together makes a nice recipe for burnout.

The nuvigil sounds like something. I'm glad you're at least trying that because it is prescribed for your condition. You have a script for it right?

It's a tough road to not build dependence though, which i think you alluded to @Vagabond696?

But sounds interesting to get you "up" then sleep from the enviable crash.

The nuvigil sounds like something. I'm glad you're at least trying that because it is prescribed for your condition. You have a script for it right?

It's a tough road to not build dependence though, which i think you alluded to @Vagabond696?

But sounds interesting to get you "up" then sleep from the enviable
Not for that one unfortunately!

I'm not necessarily dependant as I only take on work days but it's still not the healthiest option.

Waking up early in the afternoon during the summer is typical for shift workers. I've been doing shifts similar to yours for the past 12 years. Early on, I was sleeping from 9 to 5. Now, it's typically 10 to 3 between my shifts. I get up later in the morning before my first night and go to bed super early at night after my last night shift. I stopped doing overtime. I avoid pills, but I have an habit with Red Bull and tea. And I sometimes smoke weed before going to bed at night after my run of night shifts.

I know that many people take pills, but I don't want to go into that way.