• Bar GraphicOpen Late Graphic

🍸🍻 The Lounge 🍻🍸

Welcome Guest!

Forum GuidelinesBluelight Rules
  • Lounge Moderators: andyturbo | mal3volent
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Wisdom Share some advice or pointers for the youngins out there.

Xorkoth

🎨 ARTministrator 🎨
Staff member
I haatttteee java. lol. The most I would be willing to do is maintain java apps. Sure I will maintain your atlassassin infrastructure and you jenkins pipelines. Thats all.

I took the chance once to venture into hadoop land. OMG. Never again. Scala is dope, though.

I will always try to solve with bash. its native and can make a container that needs nothing. Sadly too many api's are not bash compatible. Next is python. Such an easy and perfect language. Well....unless you are moving from python 2 to 3.

In our new platform, there is so much more customization possible because it's complex software with many moving parts on a unix system. Combination shell and Python scripts is how I roll now.

I like Python's succinctness and some really handy operators like "in".

I have a lot of love for Java, but one thing I'll say about it is, you don't write very succinct code most of the time. Also the fact that it isn't truly compiled is a big performance issue if you need performance.

mal3volent

Sr. Moderator: CEPS, TL, S&G
Staff member

Alex_1991

Moderator: NSADD
Staff member
I’m have discovered something.. it is that nachos and cheese whiz is actually pretty good. Mmmm. Maybe I’m pregnant.

Also, Major health problems can and do happen in your 20s and why the hell not even younger. Be grateful for your health and don’t eat nachos and cheese whiz as tempting as that may have sounded.

Also don’t ever think you know everything. Nobody likes someone who always thinks he’s the smartest person in the room. It’s annoying. Also, that attitude makes you completely unteachable which makes you the opposite of intelligent. There’s always more to learn, more ways to look at things, less time to be a conceited snob or else you WILL fall behind.

Xorkoth

🎨 ARTministrator 🎨
Staff member
I love Cheese Whiz. It's because of nostalgia, when I was a kid, my mom would make us "Cheese Whiz toast" as a snack, probably the most common snack, I thought it was so good. Just toast, with butter and hot cheese whiz on it.

Also don’t ever think you know everything. Nobody likes someone who always thinks he’s the smartest person in the room. It’s annoying. Also, that attitude makes you completely unteachable which makes you the opposite of intelligent. There’s always more to learn, more ways to look at things, less time to be a conceited snob or else you WILL fall behind.

What about when you just know you're the smartest person in the room?

Alex_1991

Moderator: NSADD
Staff member
I love Cheese Whiz. It's because of nostalgia, when I was a kid, my mom would make us "Cheese Whiz toast" as a snack, probably the most common snack, I thought it was so good. Just toast, with butter and hot cheese whiz on it.

What about when you just know you're the smartest person in the room?
Be humble and know that even if they aren’t on your level, they still have a breadth of experiences and knowledge, life lessons that are totally different from yours and you can still learn from them. Intelligence isn’t the be all end all. It hardly even matters in the real world next to, say, personal connections and acquired skills.

CFC

Tech Support
Staff member
Don't take drugs. Go to bed early. Get a bit of huffy puffy 4-5 times a week. Etcetera.

Actually fuck that, I haven't got a clue

TheInvisibleStoner

Bluelighter
I will check it out. Sooooo many languages. Its good to know how to at least read it.

Never had a full stack role. Only admin, dev ops, sre types. Thankfully I learned bash and python long ago and outside of python 2 > 3 issues its all engraved into my head. I think these days my brain is too burnt to learn more. Why I am trying to rid myself of all drugs. Hard to compete with people that never did a drug ever and will work 80 hours a week. Need to refresh my game.

Spark is written in scala. So it will be around for some time.

Xorkoth

🎨 ARTministrator 🎨
Staff member
I graduated college in 2005 with a CS degree, so much has changed since then and I don't keep up with it, but I love when I need to learn something new. But I spend my extra time outside of my job playing music in a band, I even work from the road a lot (when it's not COV-AIDS anyway). I sometimes wish I'd pursued a CS career more but I get paid well, my job takes little effort of my part and I still have everyone bowing down to me like I'm Programmer Jesus and have intense levels of job security, and can pretty much do whatever I want as a result as long as I get my work done, which I always do. I could be getting paid a lot more I'm sure, but I'd rather think my life is fucking awesome and do stuff with my time that I love doing... if I make 6 figures some day I'll welcome it, but I make plenty of money for my lifestyle.