• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Shaking Off Tiny Lingering Opiate Habit.

d896629

Bluelighter
Hello everyone!

[I think that thread title is best - I have only used Suboxone in the past seven days, aside from codeine on Thursday]

Long time reader, but only a new poster. I am a 38-year-old Canadian male hypochondriac. I am 5'8.5" [174cm] and 190-lb, and I have a mini-bodybuilder's physique [I am a competitive strongman in Ontario, Canada]. I am a bit out of shape now, although that is due to gyms being closed because of COVID [no excuses, but...excuses, lol]. I finally have had a lot more energy lately, and I would like to start going back to the gym today, in fact.

I have been using opiates since 2007, and used them roughly once per 49 days between 2007 and 2016. Things in my life took a negative turn at a time in my life when I had an abundance of money and access, and I gradually increased my usage until I was full blown addict of oxycodone and hydromorphone from between around March of 2017 through to March of 2019. Since March of 2019, I have been reducing and using, quitting for a few days or a week or more, then using again. The longest successful period I have went using nothing was in January, when I went nine days on absolutely nothing.

I have probably gone five full days on absolutely nothing at least 10 times since March of 2019. The PAWS just gets to me, and I end up using again. Also, please note that when I say I used nothing, I mean nothing. I don't mean that I was using 10mg of methadone daily during those nine days - I mean nothing whatsoever in the opiate family, and generally, no other drug [possibly a nibble of Xanax, but I would have to check my logs].

Here is my recent opioid use [I have only used actual opiates, hydromorphone, once so far in August]:

Sunday, August 9th, 2020:
13mg methadone dosed @1am, 7:30pm, 8:40pm, and around 11pm [I forgot to write down the last time]. My tolerance is virginal now, so this was strong for me. I would say this was even a bit much for me...I find I get a bit of hypertension from methadone. Just some chest pressure, which I wouldn't get using, say, oxycodone. I enjoy methadone, and it works well to eliminate withdrawal cravings...but I do get a bit of a dirty feeling in my body, as described by that chest pressure. Not a dirty high, but just the feeling I would get if I ate mounds of junk food and just feel yucky, as if I'm clogging my arteries taking it.

Monday, August 10th, 2020: NOTHING.
Tuesday, August 11th, 2020: NOTHING.
Wednesday, August 12th, 2020: NOTHING.

Thursday, August 13th, 2020:
960mg Codeine [I used cold water filtration, and I am confident I did a good job...I assume I lost 20% of the codeine by doing this - please correct me if I'm wrong]. This 960mg [or ~768mg, if I lost 20%] was dosed over 12 separate dosing times, between 11:30am and 6:10pm.

Friday, August 14th, 2020:
~1.7mg Suboxone [start amount/time = 1mg sublingual @10pm, all subsequent uses of Suboxone thus far have been intranasal]

Saturday, August 15th, 2020:
~1mg Suboxone [nasal, taken over eight dosing times between 12:30am and 9:20pm].

NOTE: the amount I used in the ~24 hour period as described above was STRONG! I thought 2mg was the lowest dose of this drug, and as a recovering opiate addict, I figured using the SMALLEST dose would be fine...granted, I did use it nasally which was dumb of me, but I assumed the lowest dose would be well within the comfort zone...but it was strong.

Sunday, August 16th, 2020:
~0.8mg Suboxone [intranasal, taken over five dosing times between 7am and 10:10pm].

Monday, August 17th, 2020 [TODAY!]:
0.1mg thus far, taken @12am, 1am, 1:40am, 2:40am.

As some final notes, I will say that this Suboxone is EXACTLY how I remember opiates feeling when I was moderating them between 2007 and 2016. Not that I didn't enjoy my addiction period, but ever since March of 2019, it has been a depressing experience. I was on Prozac from December until June, but realized that my issue is opiate dependence, and NOT chemical depression [at least not the kind that Prozac would cure]. While I was overwhelmed from the Suboxone originally [!], and grateful that my friend stopped by with his girlfriend [yep - it was that strong, and I'm curious if anyone who has experience with nasal Suboxone can explain that], it calmed down to some amazing, blissful euphoria, which has been holding ever since. I have been weaning for so long, that my relationship with opiates has been depressing lately - but I've never been closer to quitting, and I would even say my tolerance is LOWER than it was prior to having ever taken opiates [does anyone know why that might be?]. I should point out that I had some degree of constipation yesterday - that is something I haven't really had much of this year, as I have been so low on opiates. So I assume that the Suboxone caused that.

tl;dr

MY QUESTION IS:

---Since it has now been over seven days since I last took methadone, with the only other substance I did being the codeine four days ago, and 53 hours of Suboxone use, would I be safe to jump off, and take Xanax for five days in a row?---

I have used Xanax before, but I have no tolerance.

The fact that the Suboxone did not push me into precipitated withdrawal [PWD] from my methadone use is a good sign to me, and my doctor was happy to hear it too [if not surprised to hear it, as most of his patients are more addicted, I think]. I would assume if I was addicted to methadone in any significant way, I would have felt some PWD. Correct me if I'm wrong. Prior to using methadone over a week ago, I had used it three times in the week previous to that [under 3mg each time, with one dose being so low, I could not even measure it accurately...making it maybe just over 1mg].

I am thinking of using Xanax five days in a row, 0.5mg at a time, to just sleep for five days. Take 0.5mg Xanax, sleep for six hours, re-dose with as little as possible to just keep sleeping, possibly waking up for walks or something like that. I absolutely DO NOT want to come down with a Xanax addiction, but I heard that five days is not long enough to become addicted to Xanax. I also heard - and this bit seems suspicious to me - that you can use Ativan to get off Xanax, as they work on slightly different receptors...if that is true, and I do suffer any degree of Xanax withdrawal after five days, I can switch to Ativan for a few days. Although that seems too good to be true, so if anyone happens to know, I would be interested in learning.

This was the first time in my life using Suboxone, and I greatly enjoyed it. That being said, if the methadone has been booted off my receptors, and the Suboxone hasn't taken a grip yet, I would like to jump off now, if possible.

I still have 4.4mg left of an 8mg Suboxone tablet, which was brand new and sealed when I got it, and sort of hexagonal shaped.

My doctor wants me to go on something called Natrexone, and I have asked him to prescribe me a placebo [preferably a red pill]. Placebos actually have a scientific basis for work. I am also considering hypnosis therapy.

If anyone has any advice as to how to shake off this last tiny bit of lingering addiction, I would be grateful.

I am thinking - five days of Xanax starting tomorrow, start working out tomorrow, and just accept that PAWS may be a part of my life for as long as I've been abusing opiates [four years, with two of them being heavy use, and the other two being not so bad - the past 17 months has been minimal use].

Also, if anyone has any advice on PAWS for a hypochondriac, I would be grateful.

Sorry for the long post! I love the board, and it's been of major assistance in helping me get clean. :)

Last edited: