• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

severe panic and anxiety attacks..

joeneg

Greenlighter
I have a r.n. doctor who fills my prescriptions for sleep meds, temazapam 30 mg. I also have suffered with panic attacks for many years,my previous doctors have given me valium 10 mg as needed as well as xanax 1 mg 3 per day when needed, I have only been going to see this r.n. gal for less than a year but she originally gave me .5 mg of xanaxx at 1 a day which basically does nothing to help me unless i take 3 to 4 pills at a time. what should i tell her without looking like a drug addict,i am 61 yrs old and the panic attacks really suck,my hands shake alot when i get them and it's very embarrassing to say the least. can someone please suggest something to help me please...

I would tell her your current meds are not working and then explain what your previous dr had you prescribed to and see what she says. I dont see why she would cut your prescription from 3mg of xanax and 10mg of valium for anxiety along with a 30mg pf temazepam for sleep down to just a .5mg xanax each day. Thats just asking for you to have horrible withdrawl effects. So yeah ide explain how you used to be prescibed much more and how you are basically going through withdrawl due to her cutting your meds off to basically nothing. No harm in explaining what you used to be prescribed to what you are currently prescribed. What she is doing sounds just plain mean to me.

^ agreed.
Also, if you are getting the shakes, and rebound anxiety (from the drop in dose) - you should explain this to your doc.
They have a responsibility to your safety and health which doesn't sound like it is being met.

If they are unwilling to help you, i would consider contacting your previous doctor (or the practices/surgeries they work/worked in) and requesting documentation that confirms your previous prescribed medications.
This will hopefully negate any claims that you are a drug-seeker or doctor shopping, should that suspicion arise.

Panic attacks are awful, and having previously been on a higher dose means you are probably more susciptible to them, given your current scripted dose.
I hope you can get this sorted out, all the best.

That is a substantial drop in amount of medicine. Is this a nurse practitioner at your physicians office? I would get an appointment to see the doctor. Like above post said, explain what you've been prescribed previously so you can get back to the right dosage. If they are not willing to do this, they might have to refer you to a psych doctor. I wish you the best and welcome to Bluelight!

Seems like all the benzos are doing is putting it off untill it comes back later but worse. I truly hope you arent addicted to benzos because withdrawl is deadly. I think lots of people get panic attacks, you just shake alot and move on realizing that its over nothing.

welcome to BL
well the issues with benzos is that they are short run meds never long run
the reason behind that is because after awhile you build tolerance and when that happens you have to up the dose and up the dose
by the time you know it you might think you are fine but when you run out or something happens
your gaba receptors start to go crazy because of the missing benzo which can lead to
rebound anxiety, withdrawal and even seizures

all something your doc shouldve explained well, if that doc is any good anyway
RN or PCP(primary care providers) shouldnt really make that call only a psychiatrist to give you those types of meds

since temazepam and xanax are benzos you are gonna hell of a time trying to taper off
since your doc put you on them tell your doc to take you off of them safely they have to take care of you
some advice look into a SSRI. SNRI, beta blocker which arent addictive and can handle panic attacks/ anxiety attacks

^ good luck man id taper now, its supposed to be hell and way worse than opiate withdrawl. Just remember lots of people get panic attacks and anxiety but just deal with it

"Just deal with it" is not good advice.
Large drops in benzodiazepine dosages need to be treated with utmost seriousness by health professionals.
I would advise seeking medical advice over the opinions of members of an internet forum, for the sake of your health, joeneg.

justtakethat is a clueless teenager at least I hope because he constantly gives bad and sometimes harmful advice. He needs to get some wisdom and empathy under his belt. Maturity is a beautiful thing and hopefully he will become a man one day!

Idk so your having panic attacks daily then? In my experience true panic attacks never come daily when they are genuine can't breathe attacks. Xanax is awful for long term use if you plan on daily, I would switch to kolonopin since it is long acting. But at 61, idk what you have done threw your life, but might as well do w.e makes you happy. I'd figure a 61 year old could easily get whay they want generally lol but I could be being arrogant

Stop using xanax , nobody should use xanax. Your like a human fucking zombie on that.

^ this is very unhelpful advice.
If you don't have anything constructive to add, why post anything at all?
When a patient has been scripted benzodiazepines for a long time, discontinuation can be very dangerous.

Stop using xanax , nobody should use xanax. Your like a human fucking zombie on that.

hahaha that is the funniest shit i've read all week
people who use xanax responsibly are far from "zombie"
i'm sure you've never experienced a full blown panic attack so it's safe to say ignorance is bliss, but trust me if you ever do exp a full blown panic attack
take a xanax, come back and say what you said again...i'm sure you will think twice before bashing xanax again

"zombie" no way, relief to the point you feel normal again YES

* to the OP
consult with your doc or whoever is taking care of you only they can get you out of this mess

I was on 1 mg Xanax four times a day back in 2012. I was abusing dxm and got caught stealing it. I had to go to the psych ward and they yanked me off all my medication which is like ten pills. I thought I was at Gods judgment. My fear was so bad. When I yelled and said I want out I had me Xanax with me locked up in their pharmacy. I get to the car and put .5 under my tounge. And felt better in ten minutes. Got home and slept for almost twenty four hours. My therapy cat laid on my side the whole time. What I would suggest is klonopin. It lasts longer and isn't like a spike of calmness then comedown. It's more laid out like a rainbow. G to high. Stays there and slowly drops off. I'm on kpin three times a day for gad. And I used to have OCD real bad but no longer deal with that. Talk to someone other than her. She sounds like she loves her license more than treating ppl the way the ought to be treated.

Alprazolam is very commonly prescribed for "generalized anxiety disorder" and/or panic disorder, you shouldn't really have any problem getting it re-scripted if you've taken it in the past and had success. I've been scripted it before and, while I don't believe in taking it every day (or any benzodiazepine every day, for that matter...) it does take the edge off of "breakthrough anxiety", even at a half milligram :)

its called being a man and handling your problems . xanax is a disgusting drug and people who use it are weak minded people like you!

lol

i'm sure you've never experienced a full blown panic attack so it's safe to say ignorance is bliss, but trust me if you ever do exp a full blown panic attack
take a xanax, come back and say what you said again...i'm sure you will think twice before bashing xanax again

"zombie" no way, relief to the point you feel normal again YES

* to the OP
consult with your doc or whoever is taking care of you only they can get you out of this mess[/QUOTE]

i know what a panic attack is buddy. I've seen many people on xanax that are prescribe and its disgusting what it does. It's tricking your body to make you feel normal again. theres ways such as meditating and really getting to know your body and who you are instead of taking a stupid pill. that has many many side effects

that has many many side effects

Benzodiazepines actually have very few side effects, esp. when compared to other classes of psychotropic substances like antidepressants or antipsychotics :)

Benzodiazepines actually have very few side effects, esp. when compared to other classes of psychotropic substances like antidepressants or antipsychotics :)

Side effects of Xanax (alprazolam) include drowsiness, dizziness, insomnia, memory problems, poor balance or coordination, slurred speech, trouble concentrating, and irritability. Other, less common, side effects can include diarrhea, sweating, headache, nausea, blurred vision, and appetite changes.

yea those are just a few right?

its okay man take what you gotta take to make you " normal" . thats the problem with society people want to fit it and be just like everyone else. IDK i just think drugs like this are not right and i feel many people take them for reasons that really are easy to fix . if they actually looked at their life and see what natural things can make them happy such as working out ,eating right.