• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Severe anxiety. Need alternative to booze. Help.

BenzoBear32

Bluelighter
Hi everyone. I thought I’d introduce myself as I’ve never posted before. Firstly, I know my username is BenzoBear but I’m not actually currently taking benzos; although I do love them. I’m in my late 30’s and have struggled with severe anxiety my entire life. The anxiety led to heavy drinking and subsequent alcohol dependency. I’m now alcohol free and wanting to stay that way. Basically I’m looking for recommendations and/or advice as to how I could stay away from the booze. What could I take? I currently have access to 10mg Baclofen tablets, DHC 30mg tablets. Limited supply though. Also on Chlomipramine for OCD. Please help as I don’t want to drink but really need to stop/control the crippling anxiety that causes me to drink. When I do drink, I end up on around 2 litres of Vodka a day. Thanks.

Thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention I suffer with chronic pain, and that’s why the DHC. I know it’s addictive but I need it, and it kinda helps dull the anxiety slightly. Haven’t got access to pregabaline or lorazepam, so can’t take it. I used to be on Gabapentin and that helped with the back pain and made it easier not to drink. I don’t want to go back to alcohol as it makes everything so much worse. But my G.A.D is overwhelming me.

Obligatory suggestion towards aerobic exercise. It sucks and often is the last thing I want to hear but it really does work, ESPECIALLY for GAD.

Obligatory suggestion towards aerobic exercise. It sucks and often is the last thing I want to hear but it really does work, ESPECIALLY for GAD.
I go walking about three times a week, for fresh air and exercise. Can’t really do much else due to back problems and gym etc.. are a non starter due to my GAD. Thanks for replying though.

Go to Dr an get some gaba or a low dose benzo an take only as needed, it's better than drink
I’ve been prescribed diazepam 10mg 4 times a day in the past and Gabapentin. But my doctor won’t prescribe me either now, just Baclofen. I’m at my wits end at the moment, can’t handle anything. Am trying this as can’t think what else to do.

I’ve been prescribed diazepam 10mg 4 times a day in the past and Gabapentin. But my doctor won’t prescribe me either now, just Baclofen. I’m at my wits end at the moment, can’t handle anything. Am trying this as can’t think what else to do.
I've been there I'm a 20 yr benzo addict an the past few yrs they've become ridiculous. I would be frank with ur dr an tell him you need something to help you through alcohol withdrawal if not go to another Dr an just tell them you take gabapentin an are out an in bad pain

I've been there I'm a 20 yr benzo addict an the past few yrs they've become ridiculous. I would be frank with ur dr an tell him you need something to help you through alcohol withdrawal if not go to another Dr an just tell them you take gabapentin an are out an in bad pain
I've noticed librium (for alc wd) can be quite difficult to get. There are rarely outpatients that prescribe it, the common medical opinion is alcohol requires inpatient.

Yet they hand out suboxone like candy.

If I were OP I would say I need valium for benzo wd. That's just my opinion, though.

I’ve been into hospital so may times due to either drinking too much or suffering with severe withdrawals. That’s the only time I’ll get benzo’s these days. I’ve told any doctor that will listen that my GAD is totally out of control, no matter what I do. It doesn’t seem to register with them though. I’ve said as plainly as I can that I need something to calm me down or I’ll end up drinking. They still won’t listen. I feel like I’m backed into a corner and I’m out of options

This might not be the answer you're after, but I think a good zinc supplement combined with a good magnesium (chelated) supplement would help to restore muscles. B vitamins are good for the brain as well; like methylcobalamin, B2, B6. They help with sleep and protecting your mind from toxicity. L-theanine has helped me when I needed to calm down. It has a cumulatory effect so it might take a few days to notice it

I'd avoid GABA or other supplements, but that's me. Just because GABA tends to actually give me anxiety and it doesn't work for everybody maybe try that later if you think it might help somehow, but the others I mentioned are helpful to get your body back in working order and healthful. Best of luck,

- Lance

They actually use baclofen to curb alcohol cravings. I'm not a doctor but I imagine most of the alcoholics that baclofen worked as a maintenance drug for drank due to anxiety.

You might try a strong Vanuatu kava.

I also second what @Gormur said.

I've noticed librium (for alc wd) can be quite difficult to get. There are rarely outpatients that prescribe it, the common medical opinion is alcohol requires inpatient.

Yet they hand out suboxone like candy.

If I were OP I would say I need valium for benzo wd. That's just my opinion, though.
I realize this is a rather old post, but I want to comment on this. Recently I went to the ER for alcohol withdrawal (vodka) and they gave me 5 15 mg of Librium while there, monitored me while I was there and the doc sent me home with a script of 15 25mg Librium which helped tremendously for my withdrawal. Very well done by the doc and the nurses there.

I realize this is a rather old post, but I want to comment on this. Recently I went to the ER for alcohol withdrawal (vodka) and they gave me 5 15 mg of Librium while there, monitored me while I was there and the doc sent me home with a script of 15 25mg Librium which helped tremendously for my withdrawal. Very well done by the doc and the nurses there.
How are you going with the booze now?? I'm really glad you were able to get help. I've been in hospital detox for alcohol multiple times. The standard protocol here in Australia is to treat withdrawals with valium.

How are you going with the booze now?? I'm really glad you were able to get help. I've been in hospital detox for alcohol multiple times. The standard protocol here in Australia is to treat withdrawals with valium.
Well I still imbibe with a couple of beers a day but nothing like I was drinking i.e. hard liquor. Mainly vodka. I'm done with that poison. Still love my beer and takes the edge off when I need to unwind. Thanks for asking!

Well I still imbibe with a couple of beers a day but nothing like I was drinking i.e. hard liquor. Mainly vodka. I'm done with that poison. Still love my beer and takes the edge off when I need to unwind. Thanks for asking!
I'm almost 3 weeks off alcohol and never felt better or healthier.

Do you not know any other ways to deal with stress?

Personally I could never limit my beer like that.

I had to find other things in life to replace alcohol with.

I'm almost 3 weeks off alcohol and never felt better or healthier.

Do you not know any other ways to deal with stress?

Personally I could never limit my beer like that.

I had to find other things in life to replace alcohol with.
Oh and Kratom also. Usually the red strains for relaxation. Thats what limits my alcohol consumption

Oh and Kratom also. Usually the red strains for relaxation. Thats what limits my alcohol consumption
Kratom helps me a ton.

When I quit booze my kratom used doubled.

But what I really mean are things in life, a purpose, a reason NOT to drink. Not talking about a replacement drug.

I couldn't quit until finding a reason not to drink.

Kratom helps me a ton.

When I quit booze my kratom used doubled.

But what I really mean are things in life, a purpose, a reason NOT to drink. Not talking about a replacement drug.

I couldn't quit until finding a reason not to drink.
For me its definitely because of health reasons for quitting hard booze. Liver enzymes high and pancreatitis. Yea if it werent for Kratom, I'd be having a hard go at it. Milk Thistle is a winner in my book also

For me its definitely because of health reasons for quitting hard booze. Liver enzymes high and pancreatitis. Yea if it werent for Kratom, I'd be having a hard go at it. Milk Thistle is a winner in my book also
It shocked me how quickly my health recovered when I quit. I had liver damage and stage 2 hypertension at age 31 myself.

Personally I had to take responsibility for my life and it finally clicked. It's more complex than that obviously but not really, kinda simple.