• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Seroquel/Quetiapine—side effects, withdrawal, EPS?

MrBrightside2129

Greenlighter
Hey everyone, I’m on 200mg IR Seroquel and 15mg Mirtazapine.

I’m a 28 y/o 220lb male who was hospitalized in October for debilitating tinnitus-induced insomnia and at that time, was on 300mg Seroquel. In a month I dropped down to 250, then in another month down to 225. For all intents and purposes I basically stayed on this dose until April 1st, when I dropped down to 200mg. I am 7 months in now and just dropped to ~187mg last night.

I’m glad I’ve been reducing the dose because around the end of March, I noticed a VERY SLIGHT tremor in my hand when using a dropper for skin care. This tremor has become more pronounced and when I lift weights my whole body feels like it’s shaking with certain exercises. I’ve been lifting for 12 years and have never experienced this sensation. It is incredibly upsetting and I fear that this will be a long-lasting or permanent EPS of Seroquel.

However, because of the reduction dates and timing of this symptom’s appearance, I can’t accurately say whether this is PAWS or a tardive side effect of quetiapine. Sometimes a body part of mine will twitch. Sometimes when I move my neck it feels more jerky and less smooth. My hands shake a bit which is apparent with food on my fork and with my skincare regimen. When I flex my forearm/wrist/hand will shake uncontrollably. It’s not severe, but it’s unsettling.

My questions for people who have been on seroquel: did you ever experience this trembling/twitching/shaking? Did it appear late? Did it appear during withdrawal? Did it dissipate?

Thanks in advance.

For how long were you on it? Did they go away?

I took it for something like 6 months and yes it is gone.

Overall, I have found quetiapine a good medicament, I mean, an alternative for benzos, and it works, specially after a while when one starts getting used to the drowsiness (or not feeling it at all), I was taking quetiapine (12,5 mg) before hanging out to decrease my social anxiety.

But nothing is perfect and probably a prolonged used as well as high doses may imply some "damage" (I am speculating here)

One thing is for sure, it changes the metabolism, so watch out for cholesterol/triglycerides and glucose levels, mainly if you are overweight but even if not, I would check this out as a precaution

T
I took it for something like 6 months and yes it is gone.

Overall, I have found quetiapine a good medicament, I mean, an alternative for benzos, and it works, specially after a while when one starts getting used to the drowsiness (or not feeling it at all), I was taking quetiapine (12,5 mg) before hanging out to decrease my social anxiety.

But nothing is perfect and probably a prolonged used as well as high doses may imply some "damage" (I am speculating here)

One thing is for sure, it changes the metabolism, so watch out for cholesterol/triglycerides and glucose levels, mainly if you are overweight but even if not, I would check this out as a precaution
Thanks dude. I don’t know exactly what you mean by involuntary movements but it’s like this horrible all-consuming anxious energy that makes me shake /tremble/twitch when I move different body parts.

T

Thanks dude. I don’t know exactly what you mean by involuntary movements but it’s like this horrible all-consuming anxious energy that makes me shake /tremble/twitch when I move different body parts.

I meant by involuntary movements something like tics, you know, specially facial tics, in my case around the eyes and eyebrows, but they were subtle and I have read that high levels of anxiety may also be a cause.. at that time I was absurdly anxious, abusing other substances too. It is difficult to affirm that quetiapine was the real origin

In general, my personal opinion is: all these medicaments are dangerous and have side effects, I mean, medicines for mental illnesses. However, mental illnesses are life-threatening situations... doses, types of drugs that are being taken, everything needs to be meticulously calculated.. in my country I have easy access to doctors and they are not restricting prescriptions as they are in the US and other countries. On account of this fact, I am able to evaluate different opinions regarding these aforementioned and essential variables (types of drugs, doses, length of the treatment, etc). Psychiatric appointments are short and doctors prescribe drugs based on non-experimental scientific evidences, such as the patient's discourse. Finally, if possible, check your condition going to as many doctors as possible

Hi,

no, I have never had problems like that with Seroquel. I take just 100 mg as a sleeping aid, I never took more. Since 2012. And I never feel too tired to get up in the mornings, it's just a sleeping med for me. So sorry I can't help you with that question.

JJ

Hi,

no, I have never had problems like that with Seroquel. I take just 100 mg as a sleeping aid, I never took more. Since 2012. And I never feel too tired to get up in the mornings, it's just a sleeping med for me. So sorry I can't help you with that question.

JJ

Do you ever try taking less to sleep? My understanding was it works for sleeping at 25 mg as an antihistamine but higher the dose the less effective just for sleep.