• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Serious Coffee Discussion

I LOVE coffee, I drink it all day long. But I’m pretty boring when it comes to my coffee, being broke, so I just brew it at home in an old school maker with the coffee pot that we’ve had for years. I don’t use any fancy coffee but it’s normally a dark roast, just brew it up and with a splash sugar free creamer and that’s it. In the mornings I like it hot with my cigarette and the cool morning air. It’s so enjoyable and probly my favorite time of the day. And the rest of the day I’ll have iced coffee because it’s too hot, unless it’s winter time and then I can probably do a hot cup. And that’s it! Lol. Pretty exciting.

What I found cool it's that it used to be the same for me, coffee all day doesn't matter where I am, I need to sip it. Now I replaced it with energy drinks. I rarely even drink now.

Yes, I occasionally like an energy drink too. Sugar-Free Red Bull is my favorite actually and I have it often too lol. I didn’t think about mentioning that but I do partake in the energy drink consumption frequently. Which ones do you like?

coffee mega thread or what ??? i do like coffee, but am english, lived in uk all my life and have tried all the starbucks type places. i'll be shot to bits in this thread for admitting this, but i like instant coffee. so, lets hear it, i'm a weak ass brit, that can't take a strong coffee or something similar, yeah ? :)

Yes, I occasionally like an energy drink too. Sugar-Free Red Bull is my favorite actually and I have it often too lol. I didn’t think about mentioning that but I do partake in the energy drink consumption frequently. Which ones do you like?

Burn. It's my fav.

I haven't been drinking coffee lately. I used to be the type who would buy an expensive dark roast, grind the beans, make a french press full of super strong coffee, and drink the whole thing twice a day. That was the only time I've ever been physically addicted to caffeine. As I've gotten older, I've found more and more that coffee makes me jittery and overstimulated much more easily than any other form of caffeine. I have to be careful if I'm drinking it, although I love coffee and find it really pleasant to drink. Generally I use caffeine pills now and take 100-150mg in the morning most mornings. I find the stimulation cleaner, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

In regards to energy drinks, my favorite is the black and gold rockstar. Before that I liked the green monster.

In regards to price, Xor, save your Starbucks cup and refills are 54 cents. Free if you attach a gift card to your app.

I'll say one thing that Goddamn Kopi luwak is actually EVIL.
My brother brought some back from from his holiday for my mom & stepdad, they had no clue what it was but as I'm so smart I was aware. That stuff should be illegal, it tastes 100% the same as the place it comes out of!!!!!

I had to look that up, but what the fuck?? Why do people want that? :?

In regards to price, Xor, save your Starbucks cup and refills are 54 cents. Free if you attach a gift card to your app.

Nice, I didn't know that. Still though, I just prefer pure caffeine to coffee as it's way smoother on my body. I drink coffee from time to time. In fact I might make a cup now, sounds good all of a sudden.

The vanilla iced coffee from Burger King is pretty good :) I mostly just drink iced coffee, never really cared for hot coffee. Too much caffeine makes me anxious for some reason though, so I don't drink much coffee. But I do drink it sometimes, in small-medium amounts it's fine. Just if I have too much of it, the caffeine makes me jittery and a bit anxious.

Yeah caffeine's primary side effect is generally anxiety. I have to be careful with caffeine too.

When i drink too much caffeine i just throw up (600-1,000mg in an hour).

The only time i really get anxious is when i smoke a shit load of weed.

Not a day without coffee! :)

Here we steep it in a kettle, first we boil the water, and ground coffee is added. It's then left for five-ten minutes.

I love coffee with milk and sugar, in the cold winter mornings of north norway, it's a life saver. ;)

I'll say one thing that Goddamn Kopi luwak is actually EVIL.
My brother brought some back from from his holiday for my mom & stepdad, they had no clue what it was but as I'm so smart I was aware. That stuff should be illegal, it tastes 100% the same as the place it comes out of!!!!!
You can make your own, bargain "Kopi Luwak" if you feed your dog coffee beans. ;)

one of my younger brothers inspired me to start experimenting with medium instead of dark roasts. i do not yet prefer. it might be an acquired taste. always considered dark roast the real coffee drinker's preference, but there are so many more nuances to each bean variety that stand out with medium. still, my most recent batch of cold brew -- filtered this morning -- is french roast.

guy at my new favorite coffee shop (a venezuelan bakey) drinks his cold brew still in concentrate. he adds ice, kinda like liquor. he gave me glass of it and it's intense. i bought beans from them and have been making it at my place -- missing the tres leches --- and have started drinking it in concentrate. he doesn't add cream and i certainly do, and have been compensating by adding a lot of cream. cold brew is delicious but there's way too much caffeine. i wonder what starbucks does about that. well i just google and nothing. their cold brew has 280mg of caffeine. and apparently they're giving it away today, but that's not worth going to starbucks.

16 hours brew time is what i've settled on. happens to be the same amount of time this coffee shop uses. is the right amount. i didn't ask them water to grind ratio because that's getting a little invasive (he told me 16 hours without my asking) and it wouldn't mean anything to me anyway. i use the same ratio each time, but i don't know what it is. line two on the glass jug, and fill the jug all the way to the tippy top with water. that's for 2x concentrate, not to be consumed more than 4oz at a time.

oh yeah, and i had turkish coffee for the first time a week or so ago. been curious about it for a while ...

is unfiltered. it's intense enough, though when the guy told me that i was expecting something delightfully overboard. i'm sure it can be brewed that way.

my friend's, who live's in turkey ...

i know this is the coffee thread, but there's a doner sandwich place that serves free tea while you wait. it's way hot and comes in a paper thin glass without handle. the owner said it's german, though it clearly has turkish influence. i'll never take a picture of it because the owner is so proud of and into his business that he'd notice. and that would be embarrassing. it's good as fuck. the first half dozen times i went there i said no because fuck tea and i thought it would cost money. huge mistake. is strong. i'd even pay an extra couple bucks for it now that i know.

Last edited:

cortado and tres leches from the place i started getting my cold brew beans.

icing on the tres leches is ultra sugary and lightly torched. pretty damn good.

cortado is nice and strong. like a cappuccino with even less steamed milk. they mix a bit of the coffee into the steamed milk or something. so the little bit of foam on top is not just milk.

worst beans i’ve had to date. like brewing cardboard. had high hopes because “medium dark” sounds like a good compromise.