• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Detox Self-Detoxing from Tapentadol

WishINeverStarted_5

Greenlighter
Little background: Had surgery several years ago. I’m 30y/M. Liked the drugs but never got dependent or addicted, but I did keep my ear out for them, especially when I traveled to less developed countries.

Used kratom for a while. Enjoyed it. Don’t think I was really dependent as I had to stop CT for a while when I traveled.

Eventually started to use non-normal sources to obtain oxy... and eventually generic opana. Started Jan 2019.

This stuff fucked me up big time. Got dependent on about a 20mg/day snort habit.

Ran out at some point and started W/D without even knowing what it was.

I tried some tapentadol I had. No effect... but once I popped 300mg IR all W/D stopped. This was May 2019.

I got more and more of it to keep W/D at bay. Some of it felt good, but the side effects were terrible: dry mouth, constant really really bad constipation uncontrolled with even the strongest laxative, no appetite, lost weight, spending money, started to “look very unhealthy”.

I decided I needed to stop. Quickly. I tried a taper before with no success. I didn’t want replacement. I just wanted done.

So I scheduled a nice hotel room for 5 days, situated work, and just dealt with it. I have clonodine, clonazopam, vitamins, some anti-depressant supplements (5-HTP etc), immodium, my Rx SNRI (likely relevant in my experience), Gatorade, water, and some food.

I’m on day 3. I started w/d early afternoon 3 days ago and now late PM on day 3.

Days 1 and 2 completely sucked but were bearable, especially with clonodine. Main symptom was anxiety and insomnia. Feeling of dread. Wanted to do nothing and wanted nothing to do with anyone. Dizzy, very weak.

Mid-day 3.. however, I’m feeling a boost. Closer to normal. Able to converse with others, take walks, and obviously write this post. Not 100% but certainly a bit more optimistic.

Am I being overly optimistic, unknowing of a sudden drop, or am I actually almost done with the shitty part of this??? It seems a bit early to have peaked, no?

Edit: I feel this entire year has nearly passed me by. I’ve been busier than ever, but I feel that all these drugs have made me remember close to nothing and have taken days off my life...

Well, I think I did it.

Day 6 and everything is almost normalized and dare I say that I feel pretty good. This method worked for me.

So tapentadol wd's are only short lasting.im on tramadol and while it's in the same family it's nothing alike at all.
Tramadol withdrawal lasts ages.so if I want to get off it I might try some tapentadol then detoxing.

So tapentadol wd's are only short lasting.im on tramadol and while it's in the same family it's nothing alike at all.
Tramadol withdrawal lasts ages.so if I want to get off it I might try some tapentadol then detoxing.

There are those that say same family--and others that say it's nothing alike.

Having tried both, I don't feel much similarity between tramadol and tapentadol. Everyone is different obviously; just my experience. I was taking 150mg tramadol a day a few years ago and had no w/d's to speak of coming off of it, but I maybe only did that for about 2 months.

For this bout of tapentadol, detox was certainly was much faster than I expected. I'm not sure why. It could very well have to do with the SNRI I'm also taking which, in my non-medical thinking, may mean that I'm used to a good bit of extra neurotransmitter in that category. Who knows, maybe you may want to go on an SNRI first? I'm sure that if I ever have to come off of my SNRI it won't be fun either. While this experience sucked by all accounts, it was a good bit better than what I had planned for.

May I ask what you would compare Tapentadol too if at all possible please mate?

Absolutely. I'd actually compare it (at normal recommended doses) to oxycodone. It isn't as "clean" as oxy, but the high and warmth is very similar in my opinion. I do, however, have some closed-eye visuals at normal doses. When I wasn't tolerant, 100mg completely messed me up. It takes some time to hit, so start with 50 and wait at least 2 hours before adding anything else. The very first time I took it(100mg.. then another 50 when I didn't feel within 30min). I really fucked up and probably almost had a seizure. It was a bad trip.

But above normal doses, it gets really dirty (reference my initial post) and starts doing all kinds of weird things. But otherwise it's a decent and cheap oxy substitute if you can keep at normal doses.

I'm
Little background: Had surgery several years ago. I’m 30y/M. Liked the drugs but never got dependent or addicted, but I did keep my ear out for them, especially when I traveled to less developed countries.

Used kratom for a while. Enjoyed it. Don’t think I was really dependent as I had to stop CT for a while when I traveled.

Eventually started to use non-normal sources to obtain oxy... and eventually generic opana. Started Jan 2019.

This stuff fucked me up big time. Got dependent on about a 20mg/day snort habit.

Ran out at some point and started W/D without even knowing what it was.

I tried some tapentadol I had. No effect... but once I popped 300mg IR all W/D stopped. This was May 2019.

I got more and more of it to keep W/D at bay. Some of it felt good, but the side effects were terrible: dry mouth, constant really really bad constipation uncontrolled with even the strongest laxative, no appetite, lost weight, spending money, started to “look very unhealthy”.

I decided I needed to stop. Quickly. I tried a taper before with no success. I didn’t want replacement. I just wanted done.

So I scheduled a nice hotel room for 5 days, situated work, and just dealt with it. I have clonodine, clonazopam, vitamins, some anti-depressant supplements (5-HTP etc), immodium, my Rx SNRI (likely relevant in my experience), Gatorade, water, and some food.

I’m on day 3. I started w/d early afternoon 3 days ago and now late PM on day 3.

Days 1 and 2 completely sucked but were bearable, especially with clonodine. Main symptom was anxiety and insomnia. Feeling of dread. Wanted to do nothing and wanted nothing to do with anyone. Dizzy, very weak.

Mid-day 3.. however, I’m feeling a boost. Closer to normal. Able to converse with others, take walks, and obviously write this post. Not 100% but certainly a bit more optimistic.

Am I being overly optimistic, unknowing of a sudden drop, or am I actually almost done with the shitty part of this??? It seems a bit early to have peaked, no?

Edit: I feel this entire year has nearly passed me by. I’ve been busier than ever, but I feel that all these drugs have made me remember close to nothing and have taken days off my life...
I'm very interested in your post because I am currently taking on average 200 mgs Tapentadol per day, every day. Was prescribed for terrible knee injury I sustained in domestic violence incident. Tbh I doubt I still need this much for my pain, but my situatio sucks - broke, staying in women's shelter, having to do all this horrible stuff like restraining orders on ex, and in general just so lonely and sad and the tapentadol has helped to just take the edge off my awful moods. Bad idea of course but I can't seem to help myself at the moment. An added complication is I am trying to wean off diazepam at same time. What is my point? Oh, yes...firstly, is 200 mg a day a big dose? Secondly, if I need to go cold turkey how bad is it likely to be? Someone here mentioned anxiety was a major issue so I was thinking maybe saving up my Valium for the w/d might be a good idea?
Thanks buddy appreciated ?

I'm very interested in your post because I am currently taking on average 200 mgs Tapentadol per day, every day. Was prescribed for terrible knee injury I sustained in domestic violence incident. Tbh I doubt I still need this much for my pain, but my situatio sucks - broke, staying in women's shelter, having to do all this horrible stuff like restraining orders on ex, and in general just so lonely and sad and the tapentadol has helped to just take the edge off my awful moods. Bad idea of course but I can't seem to help myself at the moment. An added complication is I am trying to wean off diazepam at same time. What is my point? Oh, yes...firstly, is 200 mg a day a big dose? Secondly, if I need to go cold turkey how bad is it likely to be? Someone here mentioned anxiety was a major issue so I was thinking maybe saving up my Valium for the w/d might be a good idea?

Sorry to hear about your situation and hope all of the other areas of your life improve very soon.

200mg per day of tapentadol is not a high dose, especially if you're splitting it up. I was taking 300mg 3-4x/day--which is just nowhere near the max written dose.

Definitely don't try to wean off both the diazepam and tapentadol at the same time. I'm not sure about the diazepam w/d or taper schedule, but doing that first is my recommendation. The diazepam could be helpful with your tapendtadol w/d, as long as you've stopped your physical dependency of it. Don't take longer than 4 days. Biggest tapentadol symptom for me was RLS, dizziness, and just not wanting to have anything to do with anything. The worst was over in about 60 hours or so.

In my particular case, my cold turkey tapentadol stoppage wasn't THAT bad and was able to do it on my own, but it did suck. Having clonidine really is likely what saved me. I think you should find out how physically dependent you are by stopping it for a day and see what symptoms you have. This will give you an idea of what support you'll need to stop.

Post back with those results and we'll see how we can all help.

Best of luck.

Sorry to hear about your situation and hope all of the other areas of your life improve very soon.

200mg per day of tapentadol is not a high dose, especially if you're splitting it up. I was taking 300mg 3-4x/day--which is just nowhere near the max written dose.

Definitely don't try to wean off both the diazepam and tapentadol at the same time. I'm not sure about the diazepam w/d or taper schedule, but doing that first is my recommendation. The diazepam could be helpful with your tapendtadol w/d, as long as you've stopped your physical dependency of it. Don't take longer than 4 days. Biggest tapentadol symptom for me was RLS, dizziness, and just not wanting to have anything to do with anything. The worst was over in about 60 hours or so.

In my particular case, my cold turkey tapentadol stoppage wasn't THAT bad and was able to do it on my own, but it did suck. Having clonidine really is likely what saved me. I think you should find out how physically dependent you are by stopping it for a day and see what symptoms you have. This will give you an idea of what support you'll need to stop.

Post back with those results and we'll see how we can a

Best of luck.
He

Hey thanks so much for your reply-it was especially reassuring to know that my dose is not that big to start with.

My doc gave me a script for more today, but I haven't filled it yet. I thought I'd take your advice and see if I can do 24 hours on none just to see how it goes...it's much less scary since I now have a script - ie if it's too tough to w/d cold turkey, I can go to chemist! Right now it's just really hard to not take the tabs if I've got them in my bag ...but obviously impulse pill pops are out of the question if I've got to organise shelter staff to take me to chemist first!
Will certainly check back in to let you know how I go, and thanks again for such a well-considered reply?

Post back with those

Best of luck.
Well

well, as I was saying - I didn't do as well as I hoped btecause of some disturbing news about my violent ex- which sent me fleeing to the pharmacy. Ended up taking just 100 mgs yesterday but stupidly tried to circumvent w/d (especially the RSL - I HATE that!) by taking a few of my brother's dexamphetamine meds. As per usual these gave me a lift for a bit - but a little Dex goes a long way with me and now it's two am and of course I can't sleep. So I just took another 100 mgs Tapentadol to try to settle myself. In other words the Dex that were meant to help me w/d have instead make me take more of the drug I'm trying to stop!
And I'm meant to get up early to visit my Dad. So now I'm in an idiotic mindset, thinking - well if I don't sleep it's not a big deal because I still have a few Dex left and it would be better to take those tomorrow instead of more Tapentadol. I suspect this is messed up logic but at least it's keeping depression, nausea and RSL away (I have low blood pressure which sometimes makes me queasy on its own, and a small amount of dexamphetamine - 5 or 10 mgs only - is effective on me for nausea, but I ought to say "don't try this at home" of course, since my general

In my particular case, my cold turkey tapentadol stoppage wasn't THAT bad and was able to do it on my own, but it did suck. Having clonidine really is likely what saved me. I think you should find out how physically dependent you are by stopping it for a day and see what symptoms you have. This will give you an idea of whBest of luck.

Anyway: bottom line, Dex prevented w/d symptoms but made me take more Tapentadol to take edge off Dex. Idiotic. The more pills I take,the more pills I take.
Thanks again for your help