• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Seizures from pregabalin (Lyrica)

Cyanoide

Bluelighter
Last week I took around 1500-1800 mg of pregabalin. This is a quite normal dose for me when I use pregabalin recreationally. However, this time I got several grand mal seizures and hurt myself quite badly. I lost consciousness and "woke" up bloody and with a bruised head. I only got the seizures to stop by taking 20 mg diazepam and 4 mg clonazepam.

What could have happened? This was the second time in my life I got seizures from a large dose of pregabalin. I often combine pregabalin with alcohol and/or benzos so basically they seem to have protected me from seizures several times. I only took pregabalin this time, but had to take the diazepam and clonazepam to get the twitching and seizures to stop.

Does pregabalin work as a convulsant in very large doses? I'm now scared to take large doses of pregabalin (although I love it) without having benzos near me.

You know what I have been saying I have access to both gabapetin and pregabalin but I feel safer with gabapetin. I have never had a seizure in my life nor am I prone. And it could have been my imagination but even on 500 mgs of pregabalin I was feeling head shocks that made me uncomfortable. It felt like electricity. I never got that with gabapebtin. But when I read a post like this maybe my hunch was correct. That pregabalin could cause seizures in some people. Maybe not even me but it I realized I won't go over 300 mgs anymore should I need to take it. But yeah, gabapentin feels more gentle and relaxing than pregabalin.

I will say I got a similar effect from mixing gabapentin and phenibut. Never again. I did take a benzo that night just in case.

I don't find gabapentin especially recreational at all. And it has a poor bioavailability, so I have to "stagger" it. Pregabalin is quite euphoric. But unfortunately it has the side effects of muscle twitching and even seizures in my case. It's strange because pregabalin is actually an anticonvulsant in therapeutic doses, but somehow it can provoke seizures in very large doses.

The way I see it, You are prone to seizures and it Was paradoxical effect
The way I see it he might be prone to seizures but pregabalin at high doses can cause bad things. I used to take huge doses with no problem. Nowadays if I take big dose I will start to get these convulsant effects. I thought this was well known side effect of high dose pregabalin. I would bet almost all will get twitching etc for high dose pregabalin if not on other drugs.

There are reports of high doses of pregabalin causing or worsening seizures, some people might be more prone to that side effect.

You said you often mix pregab with alcohol and benzos but you didn't take any this time. Do you have a benzo habit? Could those seizures have been caused by benzo/alcohol withdrawal and somehow exacerbated by a high dose of pregabalin?
Sounds unlikely but pregabalin is a weird drug, it's often used to treat seizures but in much lower doses.
A more likely option is that benzos were preventing the seizures from happening (clonazepam has a pretty good antiepileptic effect).

There are reports of high doses of pregabalin causing or worsening seizures, some people might be more prone to that side effect.

You said you often mix pregab with alcohol and benzos but you didn't take any this time. Do you have a benzo habit? Could those seizures have been caused by benzo/alcohol withdrawal and somehow exacerbated by a high dose of pregabalin?
Sounds unlikely but pregabalin is a weird drug, it's often used to treat seizures but in much lower doses.
A more likely option is that benzos were preventing the seizures from happening (clonazepam has a pretty good antiepileptic effect).

I've indeed suffered from heavy benzo and alcohol addiction in the past, and have detoxed several times. It's however almost a year since my last detox. So I don't suffer from benzo WD now, and I do take benzos every now and then. Not smart, I know.

Edit: I've taken 1200 mg pregabalin now, but decided to play safe before sorry and took 50 mg temazepam too. Temazepam has a very nice synergy with pregabalin, and is one of my favourite benzos.

Edit2: Another solution to this problem could be valproate. It's a very effective anticonvulsant, and I've always been given it in detox to prevent seizures. It's not addictive nor intoxicating.

I’m aware of only a little of the known causative side effects of pregabalin but a fair bit about the topic of seizures and their medications in general.

(child with epilepsy, been through the gamut of approved medications to find an effective one and rather unluckily have managed to experience pretty much every darn negative side effect ever listed)

In theory, lyrica (pregabalin) shouldn’t be able to trigger seizures as its meant to workby actually slowing the brain waves to a point lower than is required for seizure activity. In seizure disorders a dose used at the onset of symptoms will usually halt the seizure entirely.

That said, an overdose, bad combination or sudden withdrawal of any medication has the capacity to cause the brain to go into shock so i don’t think it could be 100% counted out either.

In the case of lyrica when combined with other medications, think metabolism.
It’s one of the few drugs not metabolised in the liver, so also shouldn’t affect the way a lot of other meds work.
Take any other meds absorbed in the kidneys perhaps, and have sluggish kidneys causing a med to linger longer than anticipated?
I’d look here first.

We can use lyrica safely in combination with Midazolam and our regular med sodium valproate to stop particularly resistant seizures where the Midaz has failed to avoid OD’ing her on the Midaz second dosing with no effects whatsoever other than a sleepy child for 4 hours after.

There are actually a good few cases now of high dose pregabalin causing seizure activity.

Even with benzos or anticonvulsants I would advise you to stop taking pregabalin recreationally in those doses. You’ve already had several seizures due to it. The high isn’t worth the risk of serious injury.

I had gabapentin in detox when I was coming off benzodiazepines. I don't know if it helped at all as I could barely sleep while I was there. I also noticed the electrical feeling while on it. I never got that from pregabalin and quite enjoyed it when I had it. I wouldn't doubt that it could cause issues for people especially if they're taking other drugs with it. I took it while I had a fair amount of d,l-amphetamine in my system but I never had it with benzodiazepines in my system

I’m aware of only a little of the known causative side effects of pregabalin but a fair bit about the topic of seizures and their medications in general.

(child with epilepsy, been through the gamut of approved medications to find an effective one and rather unluckily have managed to experience pretty much every darn negative side effect ever listed)

In theory, lyrica (pregabalin) shouldn’t be able to trigger seizures as its meant to workby actually slowing the brain waves to a point lower than is required for seizure activity. In seizure disorders a dose used at the onset of symptoms will usually halt the seizure entirely.

That said, an overdose, bad combination or sudden withdrawal of any medication has the capacity to cause the brain to go into shock so i don’t think it could be 100% counted out either.

In the case of lyrica when combined with other medications, think metabolism.
It’s one of the few drugs not metabolised in the liver, so also shouldn’t affect the way a lot of other meds work.
Take any other meds absorbed in the kidneys perhaps, and have sluggish kidneys causing a med to linger longer than anticipated?
I’d look here first.

We can use lyrica safely in combination with Midazolam and our regular med sodium valproate to stop particularly resistant seizures where the Midaz has failed to avoid OD’ing her on the Midaz second dosing with no effects whatsoever other than a sleepy child for 4 hours after.
It's funny when it metabolize thru kidneys they say no likely interactions. Pregabalin has huge interactions with every benzo, opioid etc. It was only tested with lorazepam and oxycodone and interactions was found. I read from the same publication that the results can be interpolated to all such class drugs. Meaning it will have interactions with all those.

In layman's terms it works on higher
level then drugs it has interactions. Sekio or someone else wiser then me can erase this and tell how it is In reality.

It's funny when it metabolize thru kidneys they say no likely interactions. Pregabalin has huge interactions with every benzo, opioid etc. It was only tested with lorazepam and oxycodone and interactions was found. I read from the same publication that the results can be interpolated to all such class drugs. Meaning it will have interactions with all those.
In layman's terms it works on higher
level then drugs it has interactions. Sekio or someone else wiser then me can erase this and tell how it is In reality
Yikea don’t tell me this, it’s how I was taught to dose my kid damn it 😂😂😂😂

Midaz is a benzo, so by that thought then it should definitely interact with the lyrica when both are required?
It was the preferred option over accidentally overdosing her with the midazolam 🤷🏻‍♀️

I love pregabalin too much to leave it altogether. But I won't take it without benzos, just to be sure. I've now taken 50 mg temazepam with 1200 mg pregabalin and they have a great synergy. No twitching or convulsant activity at all.

Alcohol and pregabalin, on the other hand, is a recipe for disaster. Blackouts, falling, injuries etc. One or two beers is OK but anything more than that is a no go for me.

Yikea don’t tell me this, it’s how I was taught to dose my kid damn it 😂😂😂😂

Midaz is a benzo, so by that thought then it should definitely interact with the lyrica when both are required?
It was the preferred option over accidentally overdosing her with the midazolam 🤷🏻‍♀️
Your kid will be perfectly safe! I know it can be used with bemzos and opioids as long as the dosage is right.

I was just saying imo it has effects on every drug affecting certain parts of cns. I'm not a expert snd not saying I'm right.

Well, it seems the problem is solved. As long as I take benzos there's no risk for seizures. I'm not saying this applies to everyone nor do I recommend it but for me temazepam works great with pregabalin. This was the first time I combined pregabalin with temazepam. Clonazepam is also a very strong anticonvulsant but I now seem to prefer temazepam together with pregabalin. No twitches, just a very calm and nice, floating feeling.

Without benzos the risk for seizures is too high, as I've already had two grand mal seizures. So I won't take any risks from now on. I'm not recommending to combine pregabalin and benzos without some experience and knowledge about correct doses, since they boost each other and can cause blackouts etc. I'm just saying it works for me.

Last edited:
Well, it seems the problem is solved. As long as I take benzos there's no risk for seizures. I'm not saying this applies to everyone nor do I recommend it but for me temazepam works great with pregabalin. This was the first time I combined pregabalin with temazepam. Clonazepam is also a very strong anticonvulsant but I now seem to prefer temazepam together with pregabalin. No twitches, just a very calm and nice, floating feeling.

Without benzos the risk for seizures is too high, as I've already had two grand mal seizures. So I won't take any risks from now on. I'm not recommending to combine pregabalin and benzos without some experience and knowledge about correct doses, since they boost each other and can cause blackouts etc. I'm just saying it works for me.

Works for how long? Sorry but I must ask are you sure this is worth it? Coming from a guy who has done exactly the same and paid a price for it.

I would never take temazepam to control seizures. Have you ever looked how different benzodiazepines targets different gaba subunits? I'm just saying that from my opinion you're playing with fire.

Pregabalin causes me to twitch uncontrollably and sometimes violently, to the point that I fell down once and almost fell down some other times, just sudden muscle spasms causing me to lose control of my body. I love it, but that sketched me out. And that was on 600mg, even 450mg I get a little trembly. It doesn't surprise me that at such high dosages, you could have a seizure.

Beware becoming addicted to both drugs at once. Coming off that would be absolute hell

Pregabalin causes me to twitch uncontrollably and sometimes violently, to the point that I fell down once and almost fell down some other times, just sudden muscle spasms causing me to lose control of my body. I love it, but that sketched me out. And that was on 600mg, even 450mg I get a little trembly. It doesn't surprise me that at such high dosages, you could have a seizure.

Beware becoming addicted to both drugs at once. Coming off that would be absolute hell
If one has self control it's not hell. Just taper one at a time. But makes one understand the point. If you want to have fun, getting dependent on both isn't going to be fun as it will take a long time to be able to have fun when tapering those.

This muscle twitching happens me nowadays even with benzos. I used it years on high dose no twitching etc.

How long have you been doing this Cyanoide?

If one has self control it's not hell. Just taper one at a time. But makes one understand the point. If you want to have fun, getting dependent on both isn't going to be fun as it will take a long time to be able to have fun when tapering those.

This muscle twitching happens me nowadays even with benzos. I used it years on high dose no twitching etc.

How long have you been doing this Cyanoide?
I've been using pregabalin recreationally for many years. I was prescribed it back in the days for anxiety, 2x300mg/day. Unfortunately at some point it got harder and harder to get on RX.

I've had many wonderful moments on pregabalin, without any problems. The problems started last year, when I started getting twitches and ultimately seizures.

Also note that I did take clonazepam today after the temazepam started to wear off. I'm aware that clonazepam is a very strong anticonvulsant, much stronger than temazepam. So I always have clonazepam at hand from now on when I take pregabalin. But there was indeed a great synergy between pregabalin and temazepam. Much more enjoyable than with any other benzo I've taken with pregabalin. Btw, although temazepam is hypnotic benzo, I don't find it especially hypnotic or sedative. I can function just fine on it. E.g. midazolam, nitrazepam and the Z-drugs (zopiclone, zolpidem) are much more hypnotic and definitely puts you to sleep.

Last edited:
I've been using pregabalin recreationally for many years. I was prescribed it back in the days for anxiety, 2x300mg/day. Unfortunately at some point it got harder and harder to get on RX.

I've had many wonderful moments on pregabalin, without any problems. The problems started last year, when I started getting twitches and ultimately seizures.

Also note that I did take clonazepam today after the temazepam started to wear off. I'm aware that clonazepam is a very strong anticonvulsant, much stronger than temazepam. So I always have clonazepam at hand from now on when I take pregabalin. But there was indeed a great synergy between pregabalin and temazepam. Much more enjoyable than with any other benzo I've taken with pregabalin. Btw, although temazepam is hypnotic benzo, I don't find it especially hypnotic or sedative. I can function just fine on it. E.g. midazolam, nitrazepam and the Z-drugs (zopiclone, zolpidem) are much more hypnotic and definitely puts you to sleep.
Sounds familiar. I used to take it huge doses as it was prescribed like crazy when it came out. Now looking back it took maybe 4 years daily use at 600-900mg (prescribed dose) when I started dropping stuff. Didn't understand it was lyrica then. Was on benzos that time too.

Temazepam is the best benzo for anxiety imo. I can take midazolam, opioids and pregabalin all together and still go excersicing. I mean none of the benzos puts me sleep if I don't want to.

I have used it like a decade on off. Last few years only now and then and found out I need at least a month break from it to avoid bad after effects. If taken once a week it causes me to be in withdrawal or something like it the whole week. Not bad symptoms but sweating like a pig.