Recruiting Seeking users of Drugs Other Than Nicotine in combination with electronic cigarettes/vaporizers

LFTR_Lab

Greenlighter
1. This study has been approved by the Virginia Commonwealth University Institutional Review Board (HM2001269)
2. Start date: September 2020. End date dependent on response rate.
3. Study description: The goal of this research study is to better understand the use of e-cigarettes as drug delivery systems for substances and/or drugs other than nicotine (DOTNs). Our research questions are to ascertain, among individuals who use drugs other than nicotine (DOTNs) in their ECIG devices, which drugs are being used, the frequency of that use, and what demographic and other factors are associated with that use (i.e., gender, age, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, other tobacco product use, urban/rural location). We designed an anonymous survey to gather this information: eligible participants will be asked questions regarding demographics, tobacco product use, electronic cigarette product use, drugs other than nicotine (in an electronic cigarette/vaping device) use, and e-liquid product use. We will also give participants the option to upload photos to the survey of the device(s) they use with drugs other than nicotine, and ask for participants' feedback on the survey as well as their opinions about what researchers need to know about the use of drugs other than nicotine in electronic cigarette/vaping devices.
4. Participants must be at least 18 years of age and a United States resident.
5. There is no payment associated with this study.
6. We expect the survey to take approximately 15 minutes (or less).

Survey link: https://redcap.vcu.edu/surveys/?s=9TRFFKTTMF

Questions? We can be contacted at [email protected] or via the Bluelight private messaging system.

Last edited:
I’m too lazy to fill out another survey, but I can give you the information as I know it.

There’s really only two illicit substances commonly found in carts beyond nicotine, THC and DMT.

Illicit THC carts are dangerous as they are usually much weaker than advertised if they have any THC at all, as well as the use of cheap impure synthetic terpenoids and other substances to give flavor.

Then the DMT carts, again sold as usually much stronger than they really are.. I’ve seen carts quoted from 1 to 3 grams. This is almost always a lie, and they contain .1-1g (1g being rare) but due to the much better vaporization it stretches the product longer than if the same amount was smoked with average technique.

Cartridges obviously change the game for mobility, and with DMT carts being on average weaker, it’s created somewhat of a new way to use the substance. A low level yet steady and longer lasting experience can be achieved by taking multiple hits over a period of time.

This has allowed individuals to enjoy low level DMT in more public settings than ever before.

I’ve also used DMT a lot earlier in the 2010’s in the regular THC oil pens where you put regular material in. They can work in a similar manner but aren’t as easy.

Beyond these two, any other drug in a cart has been more of a novelty factor and not any major trend.

-GC

There’s really only two illicit substances commonly found in carts beyond nicotine, THC and DMT.
I second this, and have used both. I've also seen, but not confirmed, that diamorphine may be being distributed dissolved in PG/VG juice for use in a vaporizer.

If I lived closer or there was compensation I might be interested in such a study.

I will take the survey when I have the time, I PM'd you. However I currently do not use anything other than nicotine in a vaporizer, so I don't know if I'll be of use.

I’m too lazy to fill out another survey, but I can give you the information as I know it.

Illicit THC carts are dangerous as they are usually much weaker than advertised if they have any THC at all, as well as the use of cheap impure synthetic terpenoids and other substances to give flavor.

Then the DMT carts, again sold as usually much stronger than they really are.. I’ve seen carts quoted from 1 to 3 grams. This is almost always a lie, and they contain .1-1g (1g being rare) but due to the much better vaporization it stretches the product longer than if the same amount was smoked with average technique.

Cartridges obviously change the game for mobility, and with DMT carts being on average weaker, it’s created somewhat of a new way to use the substance. A low level yet steady and longer lasting experience can be achieved by taking multiple hits over a period of time.

This has allowed individuals to enjoy low level DMT in more public settings than ever before.

I’ve also used DMT a lot earlier in the 2010’s in the regular THC oil pens where you put regular material in. They can work in a similar manner but aren’t as easy.

Beyond these two, any other drug in a cart has been more of a novelty factor and not any major trend.

-GC
Hi GC - Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to give us this information. If you ever feel like you have other relevant information, we are all ears!

I will take the survey when I have the time, I PM'd you. However I currently do not use anything other than nicotine in a vaporizer, so I don't know if I'll be of use.

Hi SnafuInTheVoid - Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback, we really appreciate it. We are still working out a few kinks in the survey format, but I will reach out to you personally once it is finalized.

1. This study has been approved by the Virginia Commonwealth University Institutional Review Board (HM2001269)
2. Start date = July 2020; end date = unsure, but possibly September or October 2020
3. Study description: The goal of this research study is to better understand the use of e-cigarettes as drug delivery systems for substances and/or drugs other than nicotine (DOTNs). Our research questions are to ascertain, among individuals who use drugs other than nicotine (DOTNs) in their ECIG devices, which drugs are being used, the frequency of that use, and what demographic and other factors are associated with that use (i.e., gender, age, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, other tobacco product use, urban/rural location). We designed an anonymous survey to gather this information: eligible participants will be asked questions regarding demographics, tobacco product use, electronic cigarette product use, drugs other than nicotine (in an electronic cigarette/vaping device) use, and e-liquid product use. We will also give participants the option to upload photos to the survey of the device(s) they use with drugs other than nicotine, and ask for participants' feedback on the survey as well as their opinions about what researchers need to know about the use of drugs other than nicotine in electronic cigarette/vaping devices.
4. We prefer not to share the inclusion/exclusion criteria as these are based on self-report only (so we don't want to reveal to potential participants what the criteria are).
5. There is no payment associated with this study.
6. We expect the survey to take approximately 20 minutes (or less).

I can be contacted at [email protected] or via the Bluelight private messaging system.

Hi LFTR_Lab
It's not immediately clear what's happening here. Will you be sharing a link to the survey so people can complete the research?
Regarding the inclusion/exclusion criteria, we understand this position - however, some basic information that people can't fake would be helpful - e.g. is the study only interest in people residing in specific countries?
Thanks.

Hi LFTR_Lab
It's not immediately clear what's happening here. Will you be sharing a link to the survey so people can complete the research?
Regarding the inclusion/exclusion criteria, we understand this position - however, some basic information that people can't fake would be helpful - e.g. is the study only interest in people residing in specific countries?
Thanks.

Hi Tronica.

I was unsure whether I needed moderator approval prior to sharing the link on this platform, or if we can just share once we are satisfied with the survey. We just buttoned up a few final formatting kinks with survey and are awaiting approval from NIJ.
We can update the exclusion criteria to state that participants MUST be 18+ years of age and a US resident.

Yes you can edit the initial post when the link is ready. And yes, please share those criteria. As we are a global community, it can be frustrating to start doing a survey only to realise you are not from the right country :)