Writing-up Seeking US participants for a survey about healthcare experiences

KyleMillerSIU

Greenlighter
Update 8/18/21:

Thanks for your the participation in this study and the great comments in this thread. At this time, this study is closed and I will be writing up the results. Due to dissertation timelines, I won't be able to share these until sometime around May 2022 but I will make sure that is here for you all.

Thanks!

Hello,

My name is Kyle Miller and I am a health education doctoral student at Southern Illinois University conducting a study to understand why people do or do not tell their doctors about drug use. To take the survey, you must be a U.S. resident who is 19 or older.

The following link is the first survey (you will see another thread by me in a few months that will ask more questions about this topic) It will take 10-15 minutes to complete this survey. All data gathered will be completely anonymous and participation is voluntary. This first phase of the study will open today, 7/11/21, and close by 8/10/21.

The survey can be found by clicking here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/D7V8N8H

If you have any questions about the study, please comment below, send a Bluelight private message, or email me at [email protected] or Dr. Justin McDaniel, Associate Professor, School of Human Sciences at Southern Illinois University. (p: (618) 453-1865), e: [email protected]).

Thank you for supporting this research!

Kyle Miller

This project has been reviewed and approved by the SIUC Institutional Review Board. Questions concerning your rights as a participant in this research may be addressed to the committee chairperson, Office of Research Compliance, SIUC, Carbondale, IL 62901. Phone (618-453-4534) E-mail: [email protected]

Last edited:
Welcome to BL.

Great topic. I think many people feel that the potential disadvantages of disclosing drug use to your doctor far outweigh any possible benefits they can provide.

Good luck with the study and please share results with BL.

Welcome to BL.

Great topic. I think many people feel that the potential disadvantages of disclosing drug use to your doctor far outweigh any possible benefits they can provide.

Good luck with the study and please share results with BL.
Thanks for the encouragement. These disadvantages are really important to identify and change so we can ensure people get the service they need!

Thanks for the encouragement. These disadvantages are really important to identify and change so we can ensure people get the service they need!

Physicians generally have an extremely limited understanding of addiction. Recent events that have culminated in the current opiate crisis point to some serious points of ignorance.

OxyContin was touted as less addictive opiate pain reliever. How many times will the medical community fall for this one. In there desire to treat pain, they may fall for it every time.

Then we have medical panic around their part in the crisis combining with their ignorance of addiction and or physical dependence. This when thousands and thousands of addicted and or physically dependent patients were /are thrown to the streets at the first sign of “drug seeking” behavior or spiraling use.

There are others that looked to try and solve the problem by implementation of rapid dose reduction to a level that fits modern thinking.

Both of these moves show very little understanding of addiction, physical dependence and substance use disorders.

How much training is provided to potential Drs about addiction and treatment in medical school? How long and informative is the additional training required for a doctor to work in addiction treatment?

last time I checked it was unbelievably small.

What advantage does a drug user or addict get from talking with a doctor? They have little training, understanding and certainly are struggling as hard or harder then many of users and addicts at trying to treat the condition. They also have a strong history of freaking out and cutting patients off all mind altering medications.

So they don’t have the answers and enjoy a pretty strong history of making extreme rash decisions that can have really negative effects on their patients lives.

The correct way the opiate crisis should have been handled is a dated line of change in opiate policy . A period of grandfathering in people from the old system and new patients being treated under better guidelines. Also prescribers should never have been able to just abandon patients that developed issues from the medication they prescribed. Hold big pharma responsible. That money isn’t going to trickle down to the users and addicts effected. Why not hold the Drs that abandoned patients to the streets responsible for those mistakes.

Also as unwanted drug use is currently treated criminally in the US we may want to decriminalize. No one wants to talk with a profession obsessed with records about criminal activity or activities that may get them black listed medically.

Last edited:
@KyleMillerSIU took the survey but thought it would be more than that hmm

My current drug of abuse is alcohol, the last doctor I went to told me he would refuse to treat me if I drink alcohol.

I fill out this survey, click alcohol and it says goodbye

I'm wondering if I was rejected because I clicked alcohol? Or if the survey is simply asking people their drug of abuse? I assume it's more than that?

I certainly do more drugs than alcohol and feel like I could contribute to whatever the survey was gathering.

Just curious

Great question, and sorry about the delayed reply. For this specific study, we recruiting people who have a primary/current drug other than alcohol, cannabis, or tobacco. That initial question is the screener for it. That experience you had is really important though and something I will carry into future phases of this study

Physicians generally have an extremely limited understanding of addiction. Recent events that have culminated in the current opiate crisis point to some serious points of ignorance.

OxyContin was touted as less addictive opiate pain reliever. How many times will the medical community fall for this one. In there desire to treat pain, they may fall for it every time.

Then we have medical panic around their part in the crisis combining with their ignorance of addiction and or physical dependence. This when thousands and thousands of addicted and or physically dependent patients were /are thrown to the streets at the first sign of “drug seeking” behavior or spiraling use.

There are others that looked to try and solve the problem by implementation of rapid dose reduction to a level that fits modern thinking.

Both of these moves show very little understanding of addiction, physical dependence and substance use disorders.

How much training is provided to potential Drs about addiction and treatment in medical school? How long and informative is the additional training required for a doctor to work in addiction treatment?

last time I checked it was unbelievably small.

What advantage does a drug user or addict get from talking with a doctor? They have little training, understanding and certainly are struggling as hard or harder then many of users and addicts at trying to treat the condition. They also have a strong history of freaking out and cutting patients off all mind altering medications.

So they don’t have the answers and enjoy a pretty strong history of making extreme rash decisions that can have really negative effects on their patients lives.

The correct way the opiate crisis should have been handled is a dated line of change in opiate policy . A period of grandfathering in people from the old system and new patients being treated under better guidelines. Also prescribers should never have been able to just abandon patients that developed issues from the medication they prescribed. Hold big pharma responsible. That money isn’t going to trickle down to the users and addicts effected. Why not hold the Drs that abandoned patients to the streets responsible for those mistakes.

Also as unwanted drug use is currently treated criminally in the US we may want to decriminalize. No one wants to talk with a profession obsessed with records about criminal activity or activities that may get them black listed medically.
Absolutely, to all of this. It's been especially disheartening to hear stories of people who resorted to self-harm behaviors due to their sudden lack of access to medication