Writing-up [Greater Los Angeles, California area] Recruiting peer leaders for PAID, ONLINE UC Irvine research study about opioid addiction

HOPE.Study

Greenlighter

Looking for PEER LEADERS for PAID, ONLINE study about OPIOID ADDICTION (For California residents; Greater Los Angeles area preferred [LA, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura Counties])​

renderTimingPixel.png

Want to help in a research study investigating opioid addiction?

The University of California, Irvine Department of Emergency Medicine is seeking PEER LEADERS for the following research study: Harnessing Online Peer Education (HOPE) Opioid Study – Phase II

What is this research study about
?
The goal of this 12-week study is to see how technology, such as online social support through Facebook, can improve people’s understanding of medications for treating opioid addiction among those experiencing opioid addiction.

Who is able to participate?
18+, resident of CA (Greater Los Angeles area preferred [LA County, Orange County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County, and Ventura County]), moderate to severe opioid use disorder/opioid misuse and may be in recovery or treatment and stable for at least 3 months, uses social media.

What will I get for my participation?
You can receive up to $480 in gift cards for your participation in the study.

What is my role?
The main role of peer leaders will be to help engage the participants in our Facebook groups by posting in the group or direct messaging participants. Peer leaders are required to attend three in-person training sessions (3 hours each) before the beginning of the study. Peer leaders must attend all trainings, which are scheduled 4/29 5:00pm-8:00pm, 5/1 1:30pm-4:30pm, and 5/2 1:30pm-4:30pm in Irvine, California. Time commitment besides the training sessions is about 1-2 hours per week.

This study has been approved by the University of California, Irvine's Institutional Review Board (IRB).

If you have any questions, please email [email protected] or call (760) 232-4026 for more information.
If you are interested, you can quickly check your eligibility by visiting the below link:
Once you finish the mini eligibility survey, HOPE Study staff will call you to finish your eligibility check and confirm your attendance to the training sessions.

Last edited:
@neversickanymore

Hello,
My original posting for our HOPE Study was looking for *participants*, or in short, people who are actively using opioids, but not on medications.

I also wanted to post to recruit *peer leaders* to our study, or in short, people who used to have opioid misuse/a diagnosis of OUD, but have since been in treatment or recovery and stable for at least 3 months. There are other criteria, but that conveys the general distinction.

How would be best to advertise for this *peer leader* role? Edit this posting? I appreciate any guidance and have included some more specifics on the Peer Leader role below:

WHO IS ABLE TO PARTICIPATE? 18+, CA resident, moderate to severe OUD and may be in recovery or treatment and stable for at least 3 months, uses Facebook, and is sociable.

WHAT WILL I GET FOR MY PARTICIPATION? You can receive up to $480 for your participation in the study. If you have any questions, or are interested in participating in this study, please email [email protected] or call (760) 232-4026 for more information.

@neversickanymore

Hello,
My original posting for our HOPE Study was looking for *participants*, or in short, people who are actively using opioids, but not on medications.

I also wanted to post to recruit *peer leaders* to our study, or in short, people who used to have opioid misuse/a diagnosis of OUD, but have since been in treatment or recovery and stable for at least 3 months. There are other criteria, but that conveys the general distinction.

How would be best to advertise for this *peer leader* role? Edit this posting? I appreciate any guidance and have included some more specifics on the Peer Leader role below:

WHO IS ABLE TO PARTICIPATE? 18+, CA resident, moderate to severe OUD and may be in recovery or treatment and stable for at least 3 months, uses Facebook, and is sociable.

WHAT WILL I GET FOR MY PARTICIPATION? You can receive up to $480 for your participation in the study. If you have any questions, or are interested in participating in this study, please email [email protected] or call (760) 232-4026 for more information.
You can edit your original post or make a new one. You can decide but this post will be bumped up when you edit it.

All the best in the next part of the process.

Why is CANADA there in title and study criteria all CA the state? Am I missing something?

I’ve went ahead and changed it as I don’t want you missing out on participants due to them thinking it’s Canada only.

Thanks, @MsDiz.... eligibility criteria is only CA, as in California. I will instead write out the location in full going forward, so there is no confusion. Thanks for your help.

Thanks, @MsDiz.... eligibility criteria is only CA, as in California. I will instead write out the location in full going forward, so there is no confusion. Thanks for your help.
It just said [CANADA] in the title, I changed it to CA. I assume it was autocorrect. It’s fine, just a wee typo. All good.

I would have considered it years ago as I'm in the area. But I'm far too busy now, and more importantly, no longer an opioid addict (at least not a particularly active one -- though I suppose i'm eternally an opioid addict 🤔). Sounds interesting nonetheless, you shouldn't have much trouble finding people. You might be better off however promoting this as a sponsored post on facebook or perhaps even instagram.

(On a side note I was lecturer at UC Irvine once.)

I would have considered it years ago as I'm in the area. But I'm far too busy now, and more importantly, no longer an opioid addict (at least not a particularly active one -- though I suppose i'm eternally an opioid addict 🤔). Sounds interesting nonetheless, you shouldn't have much trouble finding people. You might be better off however promoting this as a sponsored post on facebook or perhaps even instagram.

(On a side note I was lecturer at UC Irvine once.)
What a small world with your past experience at UCI! Zot zot! We appreciate your involvement in helping us spread the word and post! It is great. Thanks for the continued help, noticing the CANADA error and fixing it, your enthusiasm, and tip! We may be posting on Facebook to complete this round of Peer Leader recruitment today, in fact. Thanks!

@HOPE.Study has this closed?
Hello,

The study will be ongoing for years, though we have completed recruitment for Wave 1. We plan to utilize Bluelight again to recruit for future study waves.

Shortly, I will remove our posting, and then repost once recruitment is again. I will wait briefly before deleting my thread, so that you can have time to receive this message.

Hello,

The study will be ongoing for years, though we have completed recruitment for Wave 1. We plan to utilize Bluelight again to recruit for future study waves.

Shortly, I will remove our posting, and then repost once recruitment is again. I will wait briefly before deleting my thread, so that you can have time to receive this message.
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

We don’t like deleting threads, rather we will just leave it and when you’ve finished the study you can post back in it.

I realise this study will be ongoing for years so I understand it probably won’t be feasible for you to remember to come back to this thread.

I can edit this thread now so people know it’s finished recruiting.

Thank you! When we recruit for Wave 2, I will update/contact your team for help to update the posting back to recruitment for our participant and peer leader roles.