• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

RCs Sedatives tips and tricks to enjoy them more

doubleheadedeagle

Bluelighter
I intent to post this thread for all those that like the downers and the feeling that they get from them (I don't intent to encourage people into trying downers).

From the very first time that I tried sedatives especially benzodiazepines I fell in love with them, my first experience was with bromazepam(lexilium), as though it isn't considered a strong sedative, more an antianxiolytic, but in combination with alcohol (which is a very dangerous combination) I experienced one of the most euphoric experiences I have ever felt.
So on I continued and trying diazepam(valium) and alprazolam(xanax) just made this relationship even stronger. But soon I found myself in trouble because the tolerance grew and the euphoria shrunk. And increasing the dose seemed not an option cuz with those kind of drugs it can matter only 1-2 mg and you blackout and the anterograde amnesia isn't worth even trying.

So this dilemma made me consider some other options for enhancing the trip of sedatives. Now I am prescribed zolpidem(ambien) and I take 10mg every night I am kinda addicted to them, cuz even though I don't feel a shit when I take them I still want to take them. And I can not take more than 10mg per night because I don't keep the pills, I have a history of drug abuse and in my country the system made a quiet intelligent way of preventing the abuse of prescription meds. The local medical clinics keep the meds and you have to go and take them with you're prescription and get only the amount you need. But even that this is a clever idea, I have developed a strategy, even that for some nights I don't sleep till 5-6am and when I sleep I sleep only 3-4 hours and the most uncomfortable sleep you could ever imagine, I decided to save my pills and take them when I have like 30 or 40 mg.

Even though those are very high doses of hypnotics, sometimes the trip seems to get out of hands and fade away, ex: when it kicks in, if I start to overreact, or if I start to do some multitasking on my laptop, the effects seem to end and I end up wasting my pills.

So, I want some tips from you guys:
1. How to prepare the set and settings for a sedative trip?
2. What are some fun things to do on sedatives?
3. How to decrease tolerance?
4. How (if possible) to increase the duration of the substances that take effect on the GABA receptors?
5. How to prevent anterograde amnesia aka blackouts?
6. What are some bohemian(unconventional) ways of taking sedatives, which may enhance the trip and decrease the side effects ?
7. What is your sedative of choice?
And if you don't have anything to suggest,I would appreciate any story or trip report you would like to share.

***REMEMBER*** This is only for harm reduction and THIS is not meant for encouraging ANYONE to take these medicines that are mentioned.

I have searched for threads like these but I have not find them, maybe there are, but I have not come across those.

1. For me, preferred set & setting for sedative/hypnotic use is a comfy spot to kick back and stretch with no pressing responsibilities. Benzos tend to exerbate hostility for me if I am in an overly agitating environment, so I try and dose at home, etc.

2. Sleep, smoke, eat, and watch TV

3. Abstinence is the only surefire way to bring down tolerance

4. Avoid excess fat consumption, will have noticeably reduced diraution and peak if I eat before taking benzos. Also I suppose if you have an Rx for a GABA modulator like many anticonvulsants this could increase benzo potency somewhat.

5. Dose in moderation, do not binge excessively, do NOT mix with unreasonable amounts of EtOH or opioids.

6. Many sedatives like benzos and such can be taken sublingually to good effect; additionally one can mix for example benzos in a safe solvent like propylene glycol and administer rectally in form of intrarectal injection using an oral syringe.

Also I find chewing up my benzos makes a big difference

7. If we were being broad in applying the term sedative I would say morphine; however in terms of typical sedatives I would have to go with temazepam and etizolam.

4. Avoid excess fat consumption, will have noticeably reduced diraution and peak if I eat before taking benzos. Also I suppose if you have an Rx for a GABA modulator like many anticonvulsants this could increase benzo potency somewhat.

Well I have an Rx for sodium valproate (depakine) it is an anticonvulsant, but I don't know how does it have any effects on the benzodiazepine receptor agonists. And how am I supposed to take it together with zolpidem to increase its effects?

Well I have an Rx for sodium valproate (depakine) it is an anticonvulsant, but I don't know how does it have any effects on the benzodiazepine receptor agonists. And how am I supposed to take it together with zolpidem to increase its effects?

Well I take divalproex sodium (500 mg ER tablet q12hr) and accordingly the medical reference for it states, "May increase levels of the inhibitory neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in brain; may enhance or mimic action of GABA at postsynaptic receptor sites" so if one takes a med like that alongside other GABAnergics one could, in theory, have some synergy.

Please note, I am not suggesting using anticonvulsants for this purpose; they require a steady level and have plenty of side effects. I was just relating that in my personal case I take those kinds of meds so I experience some synergy with sedatives.

I found valerian noticebly potantiates benzos for me (I take it usually after the benzo)

That wouldn't surprise me since Valerian's active substances (valeric acid derivatives) are very close to valproic acid (Depekene) and divalproex sodium (Depakote); generally differing in lack of functional groups that reduce their stability and pharmacologic potency in comparison to the valproic acid derivatives used in medicine.

I found valerian noticebly potantiates benzos for me (I take it usually after the benzo)

ya, even in pretty low doses. I have a tea called Zzz or some shit that has valerian extract. And it really kicks it up. I mean it does not just synergize, it feel like it potentiates it.

Don't know about other sedatives, but this is my opinion on benzos:

1. Generally at home, but I also like benzos in public since I'm much more outgoing when high.

2. Listen to music, talk, smoke bud, watch tv and pretty much everything seems interesting.

3. Staying off them for at least a couple of weeks, although it also depends on the dosage and the frequency you take them.

4. No idea

5. I think that amnesia is an integrant part of benzos unfortunately

6. No idea

7. Lorazepam and Alprazolam

Last edited:
Well I take divalproex sodium (500 mg ER tablet q12hr) and accordingly the medical reference for it states, "May increase levels of the inhibitory neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in brain; may enhance or mimic action of GABA at postsynaptic receptor sites" so if one takes a med like that alongside other GABAnergics one could, in theory, have some synergy.

Please note, I am not suggesting using anticonvulsants for this purpose; they require a steady level and have plenty of side effects. I was just relating that in my personal case I take those kinds of meds so I experience some synergy with sedatives.

Yeah I take 400 mg sodium valproate and 300 mg quetiapine along with 10mg zolpidem as prescribed but like that I don't feel any sedation at all, I need at least 20 mg zolpidem for a short lasting sedation.

1. How to prepare the set and settings for a sedative trip?
- I make sure I don't have anything pressing to do during the trip or in the following days, as depressants have a horrible rebound effect that makes me miserable for days.

2. What are some fun things to do on sedatives?
- I use them for social purposes, as I have social anxiety. It loosens me up and makes talking more easy. Friends say I'm more clever and "fun" even when they don't know I've taken them. I enjoyed going to the water park on butalbital (though there's a drowning risk with that).

3. How to decrease tolerance?
- Don't take them more than a couple times a month.

4. How (if possible) to increase the duration of the substances that take effect on the GABA receptors?
- I don't have a clue.

5. How to prevent anterograde amnesia aka blackouts?
- Stick to a low dose, don't mix with alcohol or other sedatives and throw some caffeine/stimulants in the mix.

6. What are some bohemian(unconventional) ways of taking sedatives, which may enhance the trip and decrease the side effects?
- Would love to know how to decrease side effects myself, particularly the rebound depression/anxiety. Sadly, I haven't a clue.

7. What is your sedative of choice?
- I prefer opiates over sedatives, but I guess butalbital is my fave sedative. It's more of a body high than benzos and isn't quite as dark/depressing. A better, more euphoric buzz all around. All benzos feel basically the same to me, so I have no preference.

1. I only use them as a trip or stimulant killer, so I'd get wreaked on more fun drugs & then maybe go to bed with a benzo if it gets too much
2. Sleep
3. The only real way to get more out of sedatives is to use lower doses of them less often to avoid developing a tolerance for them. If you've got a big habit already then you'll need to taper off gradually & carefully, preferably with medical supervision.
And there's always weed, it'll potentiate almost any drug, help you sleep better & it shouldn't carry the same (serious) risk of fatal overdose as mixing different types of sedatives.
4. I think the only way is to get old and/or wreak your liver, not advisable. I suppose getting old is better than the alternative, but liver disease doesn't look like fun.
5. you could try nootropics like noopept, lower benzo doses & not mixing with alcohol or other sedatives
6. usually oral doses of benzos are well absorbed so there's no benefit to more creative routes, decrease the side effects by taking less & not pretending there's some kind of 'trip' to be had
7. at the moment, etizolam, used to be occasional temazepam, but etizolam is cheaper & easier for me to get, still does a similar job

Last edited:
This is an all over post(no offence) Not many direct answers.

I will try to answer the questions one by one, the best I can.

1. Set and setting. That varies. If you just want to feel your stuff, then I suggest going to a comfy spot like your room, or wherever, setting things up like your stereo, TV, lighting, whatever else you want that makes you comfortable. Keep your computer near by, just in case. Maybe pull out some cool music and or videos. You have the idea.

If you plan on going out, take a smaller dose than usual until you get a feeling for public or clubs, or anywhere you want to go. Adjust your dose from there. Make sure you know how you feel so you don't overdose and get too down in public. If your going to hit the pub or tavern, really be careful. A little alcohol can go along way, but a little more alcohol can make you od. Use your best judgment.

2. Fun things include catching up on TV and music, going to concerts of various types, having serious conversations with people( as long as your not too bombed) and simply focusing on chilling.

3. Reducing tolerance can only be achieved by slowly lowering your dosage and taking breaks from your drugs of choice. Sorry, but there really is no easy way around it. The slower the taper, the easier.

4.I am answering this only because you can probably handle it. One way with benzodiazepines is to stagger gabapentin say 300mg/hr , next hour another 300mg gabapentin. Do this for a few hours (3-5 works for me). Wait an hour after last gabapentin dose, then dose your benzodiazepines. This should kick up the effects of the benzodiazepines. There are many other ways. Use the search function for more info.

5.Blackouts can be reduced or prevented by taking lower dosages of your medication. Example, 6mg of Xanax and a few beers will probably black you out. Same thing with sleeping pills. They will black you out pretty fast, especially if you mix with alcohol. Try not to mix any of this with alcohol unless you already have a pretty good tolerance already.

6. Sometimes I'll take my Ambien and clonazepam, powder them up, then parachute 6mg of clonazepam and 20mg of Ambien for example. Other times, I'll powder up a few Percocet's, 6 clonazepam, and an Ambien chaser ( only for those with tolerance). That puts me down quite nicely. Also sublingual works pretty good. If your into it, plugging works. Enough said on that.

7. I have many drugs of choice. It depends on the occasion, or how I feel. Downer wise, I prefer Clonazepam. 3mg/day keeps all my anxiety symptoms at bay. If I had a little more access to my old stock, I would like Dilauded, fentanyl, midazolam, Opana, various barbiturates, just to name a few.

I hope this post helped you or any other Bluelighter in some way.