• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc sedative

markosheehan

Bluelighter
i think I could of asked this before but i did not get great responses.

does anyone use or know anything they personally consider very safe(physically safe i.e high lethal dose,no adverse affects) sedating,analgesic, sleep aid drug. something like a benzo but just safer. ive heard of valerian root but i dont know how safe/ effective it is. I think it bad for your liver. Recently I found kava kava but It is bad for your liver. There are so many case reports of liver damage. I find alcohol helpful But is too dangerous. GHB is too easy to overdose on. INdica Cannabis is good but not relaxing enough. Benzos can also not be very safe?

anything else??

Depends what you class as safe tbh.

Benzos are typically very safe drugs if used as prescribed and not for more than a few days. The main problem is with interaction with other substances and addiction from taking them for too long.

Ive read diphenhydramine can cause QT prolongation.
I get every drug has something bad about it but i looking for the least negatives.
If benzos are used a lot they can have several adverse affects.
surely there is safer than benzos even though they are not that bad

You haven't really given us much information to work with. Are you thinking of taking these long term? are they for an actual problem you have or just for enjoyment?

For stress and social anxiety. So yes kind of long term that's why benzos would not work. If i am taking it a fair bit i want it to be as least toxic as possible. I would be open to things that are not very popular

The LD50 of benzos is actually quite high, assuming you don't mix them with anything; nearly all benzo OD's involve additional consumption of alcohol or opiates (and in rare cases, even barbiturates) in addition to the benzos.

If you want something with an effect close to benzos, but supposedly safer, I'd suggest looking into zolpidem and zolpiclone.

In terms of opioids that might help, perhaps Kratom? I've no experience with it personally, however. The only other opiates I know of that are safe in overdose are codeine, ethylmorphine and tianeptine, and neither is a good sedative.

IME, phenibut is no good because it's not particularly sedative (Baclofen falls into the same category). IMHO sedative antihistamines like doxylamine or the aforementioned diphenhydramine are the best first line candidates for pure/idiopathic insomnia. If you really need something that is near-100% guaranteed to knock you out cold when you take it, then Seroquel is the most obvious thing that comes to mind, but I'd argue thst it's way overkill in most cases. I'd say promethazine (Phenergan) is a good & balanced in-between option (a moderate to strong antihistamine with some mild anti-catecholaminergic effects), though unfortunately it's classed as a POM in a numbeor of countries (albeit still a pretty common second-line sleeping drug Rx).

Last edited: