• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Security Guards - Your rights

Having two is better - then you can let them search one as a goodwill gesture, and still walk in and then out ratfaced :)

i frequent a club in my area and find the majority of the bouncers to be absolute mad kunts! :D

there were a couple there that have, in the past, made unfriendly comments about how "fuked on pills" i was the night b4 but they have since changed theyre attitude towards me. its not uncommon for bouncers to make jokes about how chopped people are. i have also had bouncers come and point out "the pink flying pig" that i can supposedly see cause im so gone :p lol

i have also noticed that even when going to clubs i dont frequently visit, i seem to get along with bouncers a lot more than i used too when i only drank piss. i think its just about how you come across. if u are someone who uses meth/speed often, underwieght, not appearing to be in good health, and are obviously wizzing ur nut off they are not going to approach you the same way they would approach someone making funny faces :p

if a bouncer does ask to search u and u dont have anything on u, if u really dont want to reveal something on you for privacy reasons then state it and request to speak to the manager if he gets pissed off..

if u do have anything on you chances are they are not going to report you to the police and will either take it off you and kick you out. or take it off you and say they wont bust you in exchange for some/all of your drugs.

either way be happy you werent reported =D

rah said:
wear a belt

Bump. What can ya do? Cops will do the same and pull your pants out and check what your dacking. They don't care. Just don't keep drugs in obvious places, I've avoided many searches over the years involving sniffer dogs and cops.

Aslong as your commiting crimes, never expect authorities to be on your side or to play completley fair.

Act like you'v got nothing to hide, like you're there to have a good time. Chat to bouncer about his night and how many people he's had to kick out/reject while waiting in line and it makes things go smoother. Most of them don't want any trouble because it fucks with their night and their job. They want a cruisey night as well as you. There's always the odd one that has a powertrip, but you can usually tell them a mile away and it's safe to act super straight and nice with them.

Down here in Melbourne, I have not once encountered a security guard/bouncer searching my pockets. They just don't seem to appear to go to such great lengths upon allowance of entry.

My mates and I are usually asked about how many beers we have had at the door before allowing us in. And we just reply with, "ahhhh... a couple of scotches", or whatever. Then they just steap-aside and say, "Have a good night boys".

There's a particular place in CBD Melbourne (No name provided), that I'm sure alot of Melbourne Bluelighters have been to at least once or twice and the Security Personel/bouncers that are there have been there for like way over since I have been going and, that's like over 5-6 years.

If I were to get asked by a Bouncer to open my wallet, or empty my pockets out, I would be humiliated and probably refuse to enter.
That said though, I have been thrown out a couple of times (when I was 18) for my own fault, for being agressive and querrolemsome (sp?) to staff. These days, I just don't encounter as many problems.

If I had a Bouncer peep through the side of the door in a cubicle whilst I was in there, I would kick the fuckin' cubicle door, those pricks have absolutely no right to invade your privacy. If they suspect you were up to something shadey in the toilets, they should approach you after you have finished you business (whatever it be) in the cubicle.

I have been in pretty "suss" situations where I may have obtained coke or speed after work, and have a little "sample" in a toilet cubicle. I hate the whole scenario, not to mention "paranoia", experienced when following 3 other mates into the public toilets. The whole experience in itself is very "seedy" and suss. But, I guess sometimes has to be done. :)

Wow, what a load of propaganda filled bullshit.

I am assistant manager for a nightclub and I can gaurantee you that security do not confiscate drugs for their own use. You should be thankful that they have not reported you to the police...

The majority of our guards go to uni, and the ones that dont have had many years experience in security. Having said that, the moment you attack a guard, you will get fucked over. These are the incidents people see and go 'wow, what a wanker of a bouncer'. What you people dont realise is the shit that guards put up with, and the people that cause trouble.

Little over a month ago we had a person pull a knife out on a guard whilst he was waiting in line to enter the club. He had to dive out of the way, and other security intervene. How, one of our 'large' guards stepped up with what you may call a 'bashing stick'. Pointing the stick at the guy, he still persisted threatening with the knife. So, the stick was used to knock the knife out of his hand, and 2 guards tackled him to the ground, and put him to sleep via pressure points... now, if u arrived at this point you would be one of those people criticising security - but if you were one of the people standing in line, who could have been injured, would u still feel the same way?

I am assistant manager for a nightclub and I can gaurantee you that security do not confiscate drugs for their own use.
No, you can only guarantee that the security do not confiscate drugs for their own use at your nightclub and then only so much as you, as a manager, know everything your staff get up to.

There are good and bad security, just as there are good and bad punters. You may have failed to notice that most of the recent posts in this thread are condoning the good work security do. Watch where you point that bullshit-ometer :\

I am so suprised this theard is back up? This was happened to me ages ago! Well to all the Mods and Bls that posted information massive props yet again!!

It's pretty easy to stay out of trouble when it comes to bouncers. Be polite and do what they say, and nothing ever happens.... When you try and be all cool about having rights and stupid shit like that is when it gets bad. If they want to kick you out or not let you in go somewhere else then.

notneo said:
It's pretty easy to stay out of trouble when it comes to bouncers. Be polite and do what they say, and nothing ever happens.... When you try and be all cool about having rights and stupid shit like that is when it gets bad. If they want to kick you out or not let you in go somewhere else then.

thats exactly right, be a smartarse and expect to get ur arse kicked out or not let in. i never have any trouble with the bouncers on the goldcoast (as long as im not drinking and trying to get into another club (swaying and tripping all over the place) then there is no problem at all.

Last weekend after a big night dancing to some sick tunes, I decided that smoking a cone or two would help my comedown nicely.

After asking every dodgy fucker I could find in the club for a baggy and being laughed at for asking for "weed" in this paticular club, I sat down feeling sorry for myself.

Thats when I decided to ask a security gaurd for some help. Bad move! I got a big lecture about the Liquor Licencing Authority and then was politely asked to leave.

Duh!!! Tip: No matter how happy about life you're feeling, DON'T ASK THE BOUNCER FOR DRUGS!

8)

Searches

See the part under what bouncers can and can't do. This comes from a pamphlet for young people in Victoria, if anyone is aware of how these rights might differ in other states, please post it.

Security guards & bouncers

There are many different kinds of security officers with different roles and
powers. They are all licenced by the Private Agents Registry, which is part
of the Victoria Police.

Security guards in shopping centres and other public places are employed
to make sure the public can use the facilities safely. In public places, like
parks, they have the same powers as any other person. In privately owned
places, like nightclubs, they can have wider powers depending on what the
owners ask them to do.

Some places are both private and public, like shopping centres. You can
question the powers of security guards if you believe they are being over
the top.

WHAT SECURITY GUARDS CAN AND CAN'T DO

• If a security guard sees you doing something that is not allowed in that
    area, like smoking or riding a bike in a shopping centre, they can ask
    you to leave. If you refuse, they can remove you from the premises using
    reasonable force.
  • A security guard can arrest you if they see you committing an offence.
    (This is the same as a 'citizen's arrest'.)
  • A security guard can ask to search your bag. They can only search your
    bag if you give them permission. You can refuse. You can also withdraw
    your permission at anytime during the search.

A security guard can't:

• use excessive force,
  • arrest, detain or question you on a suspicion you have committed
    an offence,
  • ask you to leave an area because of your age (unless it is a legal
    requirement, like at a pub), race, mental illness, disability or because
    you may be gay or lesbian.

COMPLAINTS

The Private Agents Registry investigates complaints about security guards,
crowd controllers or security companies. If the registry finds that the guard
has behaved in an 'unfair, dishonest or discreditable' way, they can cancel
or suspend their licence.

Send your complaint to PO Box 415, Melbourne 3005 or phone 9247 3737.
50 out there

You can also complain to the:

• local police,
  • shopping centre management,
  • security firm who employs the guard,
  • Ombudsman, 9613 6222 or 1800 806 314 (country callers),
  • relevant industry association. Security companies have a code of
    practice they must follow. Find out which association the company
    belongs to and make a complaint. The Australian Security Industry
    Association covers most companies. Phone them to check if the
    company is a member, on (02) 9906 4780.

Get legal advice before you make a complaint

Page 48, "Am I Old Enough: Common Issues For Young People". Victoria Legal Aid, 2002.

Link

Assualt

This from a pamphlet produced by the RMIT student union.

This brochure covers some basic legal issues that can come up for
young people going to night clubs and pubs and when dealing
with bouncers. It also has some general information about your
legal rights and responsibilities in these situations. The information
in this brochure is not a substitute for legal advice. If you have a
legal problem or would like to know more, contact one of the legal
services listed on the back page.

Some General Rights:

• You have the right to be safe
  • You have the right to seek free legal advice and counselling if you
    are assaulted or if you believe you have been discriminated against
  • You have the right to make a statement to police against anyone
    who assaults you in a night venue
  • As a victim of crime you have the right to counselling, support
    and in some cases fi nancial assistance

Produced by RMIT Union Legal Service with thanks to the young
people who participated in the project, Youthlaw, The Federation of
Community Legal Centres - CLEWS Working Group and the Equal
Opportunity Commission.

Bouncers

The role of bouncers or private security guards is to protect patrons,
staff and the property of the venue.

• Bouncers are not police officers. They do not have powers that
    police officers have

The power of arrest for bouncers is no more than the power that
    every citizen has to hold someone until police arrive. The power
    is limited to arresting someone found committing an offence
    (caught red-handed), or where police have been called and have
    said to do so.
  • Bouncers can only use 'reasonable force' to do their job, such as to
    control the situation. This does not mean they can assault you
  • Bouncers must wear number identifi cation tags on the job
  • Bouncers can refuse entry to any person based on ‘house rules’
    but they cannot discriminate against you because of your race,
    disability, sexual preference, gender or any other protected
    attributes included in the Equal Opportunity Act 1995 (Vic). (There
    are some exceptions so seek legal advice or contact the Equal
    Opportunity Commisssion of Victoria on 9281 7100 if you believe
    you’ve been discriminated against).

Case Example: After a few too many beers, Adam accidentally fell
into another patron. A bouncer who had been watching Adam
grabbed him from behind, dragged him to the door and pushed
him down the entrance stairs. The bouncer then picked Adam up
and threw him outside. Adam is charging the bouncer with assault.

Some Safety Tips

• If approached by a bouncer try to stay calm and avoid 'escalating' the
    situation
  • If ejected from a venue, try to leave in a taxi or travel along main
    streets in view of witnesses
  • After being ejected, avoid walking down quiet streets alone
  • If a bouncer is approaching a friend, stay close to them and stay calm
  • If a friend is ejected from a venue, go with them, make sure they are
    safe and stay together
  • Try to stay in sight of video surveillance cameras surrounding the
    venue. These can be checked by police later
  • Try not to drink excessively. Drinking too much can impair your
    judgement, affect your memory of events if something does happen,
    or make you an 'easy target'

What To Do If You Are Assaulted

• If you've been physically assaulted or verbally abused by a bouncer,
    get the bouncers identifi cation number and their name
  • Get the names and contact details of any independent witnesses. Try
    to do this immediately because people can disperse quickly following
    an incident
  • If a crime is committed against you by another patron and you wish
    to make a statement to police, report this to a bouncer, the manager
    or licencee. Ask them to call the police and arrest the person until
    police arrive
  • Go to the nearest hospital with an Emergency Department to
    get your injuries assessed, ensure you get any medical treatment
    you need, and to have your injuries recorded by a professional for
    evidence. Get photos taken if injuries are visible
  • Contact a friend to provide support during the process: help you get
    the information you need, take you to the hospital and assist you to
    make notes before you forget
  • Contact the police to report the assault
  • Seek advice about your legal options from a Community Legal
    Centre or Victoria Legal Aid. A lawyer can also assist you with making
    a statement to police. (details are listed in this brochure)
  • Seek counselling or other support if required. Services are listed in
    this brochure

Some effects you might feel if you've been assaulted

• Scared and nervous to attend venues again
  • Scared and nervous when you’re alone in public places
  • Frustrated and angry
  • Blame yourself because you were drinking or feel like you caused
    the situation
  • Continuing physical injuries

Legal Processes

There are a number of legal processes that could arise out of an
assault. Seek legal advice about the best option for you in your
circumstances.

Charging someone with a criminal offence

If you wish to make a statement to police against a bouncer
or another patron who has committed a crime against you, be
prepared to:

• Make an official written statement at a police station
  • Find witnesses who will make statements to the police about
    what happened

The police will then conduct an investigation. If there is sufficient
evidence to support the charges, the person may be charged:

• You may have to appear in court to give evidence supporting
    your written statement
  • If a Court decides that someone is guilty of a crime in which you
    are the victim, in addition to a criminal penalty, they may make an
    order against the perpetrator of the crime

Seeking victim compensation, payment of victim expenses or free counselling

If you are a victim and do not want to go through a criminal
process, you may apply to a Tribunal for Victim Compensation. The
law says you must have made a written statement to police about
the incident or have a good reason for not having done so. The
Tribunal decides whether a crime has been committed against you.

Produced by RMIT Union Legal Service with thanks to the young
people who participated in the project, Youthlaw, The Federation of
Community Legal Centres - CLEWS Working Group and the Equal
Opportunity Commission.

"Nuthin' to see here: Your rights and responsibilities at night venues", RMIT Union Legal Services.

Link

Jubas said:
i generally hate bouncers. I'm now banned from my local pub because i made a police statement after a bouncer through me into a wall. He had been being a smartass on a power trip for several weeks before hand to a friend and i. Changing the so called closing times. Originally starting at 3am ("sorry, cant let you in, we're closing"). We acted surprised saying the pub used to be open till 6am. He told us this had never been the case. (blatant lie). we left and came back next week at 2am.. "sorry we're closed". "but you told us to come back this time last week and we could get in" "nah, sorry, come back at 1". riiiiiiiiight

came back the 3rd week at 1 and he told us "nah, sorry, we're closing now". i asked to speak to his manager, and BAM thrown into a wall. had massive bruising all down my back. ironically enough, a police patrol car pulled up, and me being drunk asked them how to make a complaint etc. they told me to go to the cop station the next morning when i was sober. so i did, and i made a statement. the police officer said he'd look into it.

low and behold, 3 weeks later (a reasonable cool down period i thought), i try to go back in, and now i'm banned!

bouncers are just the most annoying people around. Granted i've seen a few nice ones.. but seriously, the majority seem to be complete assholes.

as if you'd think you'd beable to get back into the club after you went to the cops because the bouncer pushed you.

i used to be a security guard at a club never searched anyone in my 2 years on the job.

I was out one night we were smoking crackies in the toilet the boucer pushed the door open (it was shut not locked) we gave him some crackies and he left and let us finish smoking

Bad Experience with Bouncer

[EDIT: Threads merged. (Your question is answered in my posts on this page). hoptis]

Last night I was invited to go out clubbing with some friends. They were heading to a particularly “shady” club in Perth, so I was initially hesitant but decided to anyway because it had been ages since I had last seen them.

After getting into Northbridge I headed to the club, I had a small baggie with 3 Dexies and a Blue Dolphin which I had bought off a mate who had been saving it for close to two years I think. If you were into pills back then you’ll certainly know the ones I mean. Supposedly they were some kind of MDMA + possibly 2C-B or some other 2C-X substance). I can’t remember if that was ever proved or not, but I know that multiple people had a nice trippy kind of experience in the later stages of the pill. Whatever the case, it was no doubt one of the best pills of the past couple of years in my opinion.

Anyways getting back to the story, I was lining up ready to go in and could see the bouncer was searching people with a metal detector. I hadn’t been to the club in probably close to a year and a half and hadn’t seen the bouncers using these there before. No big deal I assumed, standard metal detector search. So I get to the front of the line and am asked to put my arms up for the search. He does his thing and then reaches into the pocket on my jeans where I had the baggie (you know those little small ones just above the right pocket?).

It took me completely off guard as I had never seen this done at the club, or anywhere else in Perth for that matter. I quickly put my hand down trying to snatch it from him before he got a good grip of the baggie, but just didn’t quite make it (whether that was a bad move I don’t know). “Hey, you can’t fucking do that!” I said to him. “Yeah we can mate”, he replied in a tone that I know indicated he knew he was being a dodgy bastard. “Looky what we got here, that’s too many pills to be bringing into the club, mate”. He pulls the other bouncer over and says such-and-such here is going to call the police, as he points to the camera behind me. I don’t turn around figuring maybe it hadn’t caught my face on the way in.

At that point I was almost certain I was fucked and there was certainly no place to run with the way they structure the entrance gates. “They’re just dexies” I shouted a couple of times while they looked at them, hoping just maybe they wouldn’t notice or care about the Blue Dolphin. The second bouncer takes a closer look and I guess he could see that they were in fact dexies….whether or not he missed the strange blue one I don’t know. He hands it back to me and says “alright piss off somewhere and come back”. I call up my friend who was already in the club and she comes outside and conceals it somewhere the bouncers obviously wouldn’t dare touch. We head back and amazingly are allowed in.

Has anyone else had a similar experience to this in Perth? I can’t say I go out heaps these days, but I’ve been out enough to know this generally never happens in Perth (or at least to me anyway). It was my understanding that bouncers aren’t allowed to search you, but they may request that you empty your pockets. If you refuse, then obviously they can simply deny entrance. I know people always say take your drugs before entering the club, but in three years of clubbing this had never been an issue. Personally I think the metal detector is just a decoy that allows them to get a better chance of stealing your goods while your arms are raised.

On a lighter note, after worrying that the Dolphin may have been bunk as it was stored badly for quite some time, all my expectations were greatly exceeded. Was completely smacked out beyond belief, even after I had some pills just a week earlier.

I just can’t believe I nearly lost one of the best pills ever to some meathead bouncer……

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL

sometimes you will get bouncers who either recognize you from last time or something like that and they know to be sneaky and check ya pockets... make sure u always hide things well.... not up ya arse but down ya balls or something.. hehe

not just in ya pocket where thats the first place they might search...

But remember by LAW they cant touch you unless your violent or wont leave premises,if they want to see something then show them pockets are empty etc .

Also Most bouncers I have come across are selling pills themselves and dont want you taking there business...So if they suspect your selling you might get treated that way,They also keep an eye on you in the clubs so if one see's you handing someone something or different people heading over to you frequently then your asking for trouble..