Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Security Gaurds in Sydney

cannerman

Bluelighter
I know this stuff has been covered..but this is a bit of a different situation :
We got into this club in sydney with our pills fine, took some then heard guards were searching some people on the floor..so we put our other pills in our girls' bra's...cept for one of us who put them in his bag in the storeroom! We all looked fucked so got searched (we agreed cos we knew we had nothing on us!) we put all our stuff on a table for them and they went through all of it (this allowed??) and then found my mates ticket to his bag, searched it, and found his pills and weed!! we all walked away fine after staying the rest of the night, but what are our rights in this situation when we are already in the club? could we have just left when they wanted to search us? can they detain us?

^ I think your very much on the right track pete.

I think the key in these situations is to stick up for yourself, don't let anyone touch or search you and if they don't like that leave.

I guess it's not the easiest thing to do while your munted.

If the security guards find some pills or whatever and then take them..................surely there are rules about that sort of thing............are they expected to do something official with that gear???

Seems to me like a easy way of scoring some gear for themselves.

I somehow doubt they would be aloud to touch it.

Basically, in NSW. Security officers can only search you after they have arrested you. Having said that, then can ask you to open your bag, empty your pockets, etc as a condition of entry. If you refuse then they can kick you out or refuse entry.

If they take possession of a pill then they should hand it over to the police. Basically, if they do find something and don;t call the cops it is dodgy as and they are really being foolish. At our club, if we do find small amounts we destroy them on video so there is no doubt as to what happened to the drugs. The police seem largely satisfied with this procedure. Taking pills off you - even if they put them in a safe is asking for trouble.

All I can say is that if you are going to be a goose about it, then expect the cops to show up. If you think you are going to get pinged in a bag search at the front door, find somewhere else to go. It is not worth the hassle of arguing with security. We almost always call the cops on people who are troublesome with searches (assuming we have found something or they argue we can't make them open their bag and they are going in anyway). Those who decline a bag search and walk away politely get no further hassle. Those who get caught with a substance and don't put up a fight might have their night ruined, but not their life. 2 pills is not worth a trip to the big house.

Cheers,

Buck

lol buck, you work at a club hey, i've seen many a time the good old rubber mallet + water treatment to people who get caught with pills :p

Last edited by a moderator:
buck_reed said:
Basically, in NSW. Security officers can only search you after they have arrested you. Having said that, then can ask you to open your bag, empty your pockets, etc as a condition of entry. If you refuse then they can kick you out or refuse entry.

Just to clarify, though, security guards don't have the right to arrest you like a police officer does. It is their job to enforce the policies of the club, which is different to enforcing the law. Looking at it strictly, they can ask to search you, you can refuse and the only option they have is to put under a citizen arrest which allows them to hold you until the police come.

it's similar to shop assistants asking to check your bag before leaving a store. they can ask to check your bag and you can refuse. the law doesn't allow them to check your bag, it is just the store policy.

having said that, most security guards are aware that in a club scene, they have a lot more "informal influence" than the law allows because they know people firstly aren't entirely aware of their rights and secondly are likely to be carrying illegal substances.

btw - did this happen to you the first time you decided to take pills in a club? very bad luck dude!!

I have a friend who works security at a well known and big club in melbourne and we've had a conversation about this before. The security are only allowed to search you on entry if they inform you it is condition of entry - they will generally not check your pockets (because you might have a syringe in there or something), but they may ask you to remove the contents of your pocket and show it to them. They cannot do any invasive searches such as underneath your clothing or in your underwear or anything like that. If you are worried about them finding drugs on you just refuse to let them search you and leave the club - they can't do anything.
Also my friend said that if they do find drugs on someone they will generally not confisicate the drugs but kick the person out- this tends to be most club policy because it doesn't draw bad attention to the club by the police or the media if they report the use.
Also he said that in most places you will be kicked out straight away if your seen railing lines but for pills bopuncers cannot be sure it is not medication you are taking;). So alot of the time the bouncers that he knows will let it slide and might give you a warning.

Just remmember that alot of time bouncers are just average people often uni students) with a frustrating job. Don't be a smartarse, be friendly and don't go doing drugs right in front of the bouncers and you will be fine. They have to put up with alot of drunk fucks in their job so someone treating them with some dignity and in friendly manner would not do any har,.
Peace

gospeedgo said:
lol buck, you work at a club hey, i've seen many a time the good old rubber mallet + water treatment to people who get caught with pills :p

i was one of those people!! (Not that it's anything to be proud of) in syd on holiadays, although the guy that pulled me up was really nice about it
did the whole mallet thing and went on my way!!

id just like to know, if they citizens arrested u. and the cops came down. and u were found to have nothing illegal on u. what can u do?

Witch Doctor said:
id just like to know, if they citizens arrested u. and the cops came down. and u were found to have nothing illegal on u. what can u do?

you could sue them for wrongful imprisonment.

but one of the problems there is that many security guards works as contractors. it's usual for the club and the security company to say that the other is liable for your damage.

hmm i see. does anyone know of any cases where people have tried to sue over this? and what were the outcomes?

Can someone enlighten me as to what the "rubber mallet and water treatment" is?

Can someone enlighten me as to what the "rubber mallet and water treatment" is?

They get a rubber mallet and smash your pills :( what a waste

Guys please re-read the Posting Guidelines - Venue details are not to be posted on Aus Discussion.

BigTrancer :)