• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Seasonal Depression!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maui2k

Bluelighter
It's that time of year again folks, the cold, dark and grey skies lead to a wonderful drop in seratonin levels which cause seasonal depression.
I myself am not excluded from this demon, everytime winter rolls around I find myself wanting to sleep more, getting more lazy and lethargic, etc. Today i tried to do some research for my Western Civ paper and i ended up sleeping for 2 hours instead, i suck.
Anyway, what do you guys do to battle your seasonal depression, i try to get out more and get as much sun as possible. You could even buy lights that are supposed to reset your algorithyms for sleep but they can also be used as slight seratonin inhibitors. 5-htp might be of some good use this season as well as St Johns Wort, its gonna be a cold one.

This is such a girlie thing, but I redo my room when the seasons start to change. Aside from just pulling out the big thick down comforter, I pile more pillows on my bed, have fuzzy blankets and more comfy feeling things. In the summer I usually have bright cool colors, clean blues and greens and whites, but for winter I switch to warmer tones, golds and creams and darker reds and blues. It just makes the area feel more inviting and cozy. :)
I also stock up on hot chocolate and tea for right before bed, and buy some new fuzzy pajamas to make sleep wonderful :D

i tend to be really lazy in winter as well. what is better than to tuck into bed with all the pillows and comforter and the heater on? And i eat more too! :( the weather is dark and gloomy. i hate waking up and feelin like it is still nite. :( and it is just too cold to get out. And everyone seems to be wearing really dull colours!
i dun hate winter. i just dun like it. makes me feel dull as well. BUT i make heaps of nice winter food to make up for it. it isn't too fattening. just alot of spicy food and soups to warm my body. hot tea and coco is good.

...you sound like a bunch of ectotherms.
I hibernate....oh fuck, I missed my mid-year exams!
But it's summer now. Throw a snowball my way.

I HATE WINTER!!!!! it is soooo depressing. cold, dark and yucky... clothes are so... bulky.... i dunno i get really depressed in the winter, mostly because the sun goes down sooooo early.... thats the worst is that the sun is down before dinnertime and stillllll not up when i wake up.. makes the day so much more difficult when you arent greeted by warm sunshyne on your pillow...

Winter sucks... plain and simple.
The "changing of the seasons" is bullshit.
I prefer warm to hot, preferably desert dry but tropical will do in a pinch.
While winter doesn't depress me in general, I do however fall victim to "Cabin Fever"... I get rather depressed when I don't see the sun for a couple of days.
Weather it's seasonal or not, fukin get some anti-depressants. Nothing wrong with depending on chemicals for happiness... most of us do that anyway, right? ;)

I always suggest this for those people who are depressed. Drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. St Johns or 5-Htp are good. Nerve relaxants are also handy. But water is the best by far at helping the undernourished body.
Get into some cheap creative hobbies.
Know yourself! If you are feeling confident, then tackle more of life's issues. In tougher times, distance yourself from the problems. Remember that you can choose to feel better.

I guess I'm one of the few people who is happier in the winter. There are things to look on the bright side of in these chilly months for those of you who get down in the dumps.
snowball wars
skiing
mittens, fun to say fun to wear
warming up your cold hands on a warm body ;)
football, if you're so inclined
the holidays
stocking caps
the nights are longer, child of the beat ;)
annoying chirping birds all flew south much to Hydra's dismay
and if that's not enough, dont worry, spring is coming soon :)

nice post cravNbeets
this thread did not cheer me up. i am a lifelong fla girl, 22 years spent in south fla and the keys. now my husband has had enough and this past year has been pushing for us to move. we decided on asheville, n.c. because we love it there in the summer when we vacation and we have friends and family there too.
however, i am so afraid i wont like the cold weather. i'm scared it will be the biggest mistake of my life because i am afraid of cold. i never wear pants. really, its been at least three years since i've even worn a pair of pants for one day. i only wear shoes that are more then sandels maybe 5 days a year if we go out or something. i'm so afraid that a jimmy buffet song will have me packing my bags. and i want to move. i really want to be happy there, but i'm afraid of the cold.
so please, talk about the good things you can do in the cold. bonfires and roasting marshmellows? isnt there days where its sunny but cold but still beautiful and you love those days ? is there no sun at all in the winter? seriously, please don't tell me it's that bad. i'm moving in the spring.
[ 03 November 2002: Message edited by: beanergrl ]

^bRrR!!! you made me cold oopszie! :p
-random thought of the day-
i am *TERRIFIED* of snow. it really scares me. snow is unnatural. probably comes from living in far so cal and arizona my entire life, but i am honest to god scared of snow... im scared to go to CT in a couple weeks because of the snow.. anyone else terrified of this COMPLETELY UNNATURAL phenomenon?????

i use a high-power full spectrum lightbox every morning. i also have full spectrum bulbs in all my lamps/fixtures. full spectrum light makes a world of difference.

I have agree with oopsz, snow is really beautiful. theres nothing more pretty then CT covered in snow it makes everything look clean and sparkly and wonderfull. However, I fucking hate driving in it, and for the clean sparklyness, that goes away in about 2 days after its nothing but dirty snow and slush and it looks horrible. :p

I am from Canada and quite frankly you yankees ain't got nothing to be depressed about. I mean by our standards you don't even have a winter down there :)
I get severe depression in the winter. EVen though I love snowboarding and the smell of alpine air, I need the sun damn it. And I need it more than 8 hours a day!!!! :(
I pee on winter....

The seasonal depression thing has far less to do with the exact weather conditions as it does with the lesser amounts of sunlight/daytime :) So, snow or no snow, it can happen to whomever.
I even get kind of blah feeling when it rains for days at a time (which happens a lot where i'm at).
:p

^it is SOOO hard to wake up when it is still dark outside. 6am is 6am i know, but in the summer its easier becaust at least the sun is there and you know its uptime and time to start the day. but 6am in the winter feels like hell on earth... i hate it, and the sun goes down sooo early its just so lonely and cold to be dark that long. though i do MUCH prefer nighttime in general, i also love a nice 8oclock arizona sunset sitting outside drinking a nice frozen margarita.. (and yes im still terrified of snow)...

^^ me too. i'm afraid that the power could go out in a snowstorm and i'll freeze.does this stuff happen? i have already told my husband when we move we have to have a fireplace and i am going to have a huge stockpile of wood.
i'm also scared about driving in it too. plus, i'm thinking that the cost of buying snowtires (you do buy snowtires right?) is very expensive.
but, on the bright side i have been looking at jackets and coats. i decided that i'm a long coat, maybe wool, kind of person. in my new newport news catalouge they have a bunch and i think i'm going to order one. and a pretty scarf .oh, and i seen this wool floopy hat, kind of holly hobbish ,i guess, that i like for a hat. ha! i don't even know cold weather fashion,i'll probably look like a big dork.

beanergirl- there is a LOVELY winter coat... versace beautiful fleece lining it looks sooo soft and luxurious... on ebay right now. for like $75... its gorgeous ;)
i just thank god i live in az where im still wearing tank tops and leaving a hoodie in the car just in case....
[ 06 November 2002: Message edited by: KaNdEbUtTaHfLy ]

beanergrl~ you said you'll be living in NC right? I don't think your chances of encountering any significant snowfall are very good. In this part of Ohio we get a good amount of snow, and I've never been though a power outage because of it. Not to say that it doesn't happen, but I think you'll be alright :)
Living in an area that doesn't normally get snow can pose a problem too. My cousins moved near Atlanta about 10 years ago and their first winter there they got about 6 inches of snow, which apparently shut down everything for days. The town just wasn't prepared for the snow in anyway. I'm sure you'll be fine, and I'd be suprised if you even see any snow this winter. If you do find yourself in a pinch, Oopsz had you covered w/ some legit info :)
*shakes fist at sky begging it to snow*
;)

it didnt even occur to me i could look on ebay to find a nice jacket. thanks!
the driving coarse is absolutly a good idea for me, especially since ive never even drove in the mountains either.
it's really nice to know that it would take something major for the power to be out. i have my power go out for a thunderstorm here, so i'm glad they got it more together up north. it's also nice to hear that they wouldnt cut someones power off in the winter because of inability to pay. i often worried about needy families in the north just because of that.
also, cravNbeets , are you saying that it doesnt always snow every winter in ohio or nc ? and also, what are sandbags for?

Status
Not open for further replies.