• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Schizophrenia Diagnoses -- Is it Often Wrong?

Michael_25

Bluelighter
Since it relies solely on the physician's assessment predicated upon behavior and the patients' thought processes, it can be misdiagnosed. It can't be tested empirically like physical diseases such as cancer. I have a diagnoses of Schizophrenia, but I don't know if it's valid in my case. I have read the literature regarding the illness and, yes, I do meet some of the criteria, but I think my thought processes are not abnormal, and occurred via nature, not nurture. I do not have "bizarre" delusions. I have a lot of mistrust and suspicion, but there are others who are by nature mistrustful but that does not make them mentally ill.

Obviously, if you believe aliens have inserted a chip in your brain and dropped you back off to Earth and you believe they are keeping logs of your thoughts then, yeah, something is obviously. But my so-called "delusions" are NORMAL. Just wanted BL'er's opinions on this.

I'm going to put out my take:
We all have every "disease" they can label to some degree. All of us. They can diagnose with impunity all they have to do is focus on one facet of who you are and tag you with this and so be you.
What I mean to say is; just because there has been a diagnosis of some part of you this does not mean that this is who you are. As a whole. Just a tiny part....

Of course it happened to one of my friends. She had a manic episode and put her mother in the hospital but i know she wasnt in her right mind at the time. But anyways they diagnosed her with scitzophrenia when in reality it was just an episode

Often times what I see is that Medical Doctor psychiatrists will diagnose you with a schizophrenia disease so they can push pills and injections onto you the patient. You can better treat mental illness of the internal monologue kind by talking openly without the use of antipsychotics. But the two go together and have been the case since the first typical antipsychotic in the 50's maybe. Haldol.

So if you can think to yourself, I disagree with the diagnosis and feel I have been wronged, this is probably the case. If you feel that drugs precipitated a faster head space for you, then it's a common side effect especially of psychedelics. MDMA was my catalyst to my thought space. But you can get it under control and it can be helpful.

Since it relies solely on the physician's assessment predicated upon behavior and the patients' thought processes, it can be misdiagnosed. It can't be tested empirically like physical diseases such as cancer. I have a diagnoses of Schizophrenia, but I don't know if it's valid in my case. I have read the literature regarding the illness and, yes, I do meet some of the criteria, but I think my thought processes are not abnormal, and occurred via nature, not nurture. I do not have "bizarre" delusions. I have a lot of mistrust and suspicion, but there are others who are by nature mistrustful but that does not make them mentally ill.

Obviously, if you believe aliens have inserted a chip in your brain and dropped you back off to Earth and you believe they are keeping logs of your thoughts then, yeah, something is obviously. But my so-called "delusions" are NORMAL. Just wanted BL'er's opinions on this.
During my first week-long stay in a mental hospital they gave me a piece of paper during my smoke break that said I had Schizophrenia. I picked up the lighter and burned it. lol. The nurse compromised I guess because when I was discharged, the "official" diagnosis was Major Depressive Disorder with psychosis. A little more palatable I guess.

Later I got the diagnosis Bipolar Disorder. But after a month and a half stay in a state hospital, they gave me the Schizophrenia diagnosis. This time it stuck and a few months later, another doctor said since I also had depression, that my actual diagnosis was Schizoaffective disorder. Then a few years later, after psychological testing, they determined it was Schizoaffective Disorder Bipolar type.

My point is that for many of us, our diagnoses can change over time as doctors figure out what is going on with us. For the record, I never heard voices or believed I was abducted by aliens. I feel I had minimum positive symptoms and some negative symptoms but they stayed and persisted over time, which is how someone gets that diagnosis. Remember, your psychiatrist works for you, not the other way around. If you disagree with a diagnosis, you have the right to ask for a referral to a clinical psychologist for behavioral testing.

During my first week-long stay in a mental hospital they gave me a piece of paper during my smoke break that said I had Schizophrenia. I picked up the lighter and burned it. lol. The nurse compromised I guess because when I was discharged, the "official" diagnosis was Major Depressive Disorder with psychosis. A little more palatable I guess.

Later I got the diagnosis Bipolar Disorder. But after a month and a half stay in a state hospital, they gave me the Schizophrenia diagnosis. This time it stuck and a few months later, another doctor said since I also had depression, that my actual diagnosis was Schizoaffective disorder. Then a few years later, after psychological testing, they determined it was Schizoaffective Disorder Bipolar type.

My point is that for many of us, our diagnoses can change over time as doctors figure out what is going on with us. For the record, I never heard voices or believed I was abducted by aliens. I feel I had minimum positive symptoms and some negative symptoms but they stayed and persisted over time, which is how someone gets that diagnosis. Remember, your psychiatrist works for you, not the other way around. If you disagree with a diagnosis, you have the right to ask for a referral to a clinical psychologist for behavioral testing.
Very very accurate here.

These things are spectrums that exist within a place a doctor cannot see, examine or analyze in any other way than what you say to them.

Medical science is always a BEST GUESS type of science.

I was diagnosed with "Drug Induced Schizophrenia", as well as atypical bipolar, anxiety, depression, add, etc.....

In reality it was mostly a prolonged psychosis which happened to produced some permanent schizophrenia like symptoms.

I no longer would qualify for a schizophrenia diagnosis. My brain healed. I still have some symptoms but they are very mild at this point. So was schizo diagnosis wrong? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe we just don't really have the best understanding of these things - because we don't.

Schizophrenia is a spectrum. It's not some scary diagnosis all the time. I no longer hear voices or anything like that. I probably don't even qualify for a schizo diagnosis anymore.

Don't stress too much about this. Just because they labeled you something doesn't mean that you are now this or that. It's not some label that says "crazy person". They might even have completely misdiagnosed you which is not uncommon.

It often takes several doctor's opinions to get a truly accurate diagnosis.

Also, sometimes brains can heal from such things - especially if it's not genetical predisposition.

3-4 years after my schizo diagnosis... I am no longer schizo (I still have symptoms, and will probably forever to some degree, but they are so mild it doesn't bother me anymore)

Please don't stress so much on it, because for me, when I stress about such things it makes my symptoms even worse.

I still think Schizophrenia should be called Psychosis Susceptibility Syndrome, because that's what it is: just susceptibility.
It says nothing about how clear you are in the head, only that a Psychosis is a possibility.

The spectrum is pretty large and there are buttloads of ppl who have it and will never know.

I still think Schizophrenia should be called Psychosis Susceptibility Syndrome, because that's what it is: just susceptibility.
It says nothing about how clear you are in the head, only that a Psychosis is a possibility.

The spectrum is pretty large and there are buttloads of ppl who have it and will never know.
absolutely agree

the line between psychosis and schizophrenia is so incredibly blurry and still misunderstood to this day

it's simply your brain reacting to dopamine stimulus instead of an actual event... obviously way more complicated but it boils down to that (according to modern theory, and my understanding of it)

When dopamine replaces stimulus, your brain invents something to make sense of the dopamine. Hallucinations, delusions, etc...

Hey @Michael_25 I know this is an old thread. But I’ve read your threads and thought processes over the years here, and honestly I would get a re-assessment. I think there’s no fuckin’ way you’re paranoid schizophrenic, honestly. That’s a heavy, heavy thing to tell someone in your shoes. This just strikes me as really off.

An inferiority complex and intense feelings of rejection and suspicion that people hate you. Anger and hateful narratives in yourself I’m response. This isn’t delusional. it might be a self-fulfilling prophecy the way you talk if you’re anything IRL as you are here. I’m not professional, but I can’t honestly attribute your issues to true mental illness though. You’re stuck in some weird fuckin’ cycle that is causing symptoms of, and I don’t know everything. But I think you at worst have an unstable and distorted self image and vanity issues which don’t really mean neurological dysfunction as much as you’re cooking your brain trying to find love and acceptance. Sex is way too overplayed in your mind compared to what’s healthy, and you’ll never be satisfied when things don’t live up to redrawing your image issues which people cannot do without your compliance and leadership. It’s hard to say what you actually are or need. You’re one of the most unstable people I’ve ever come across when it comes to these matters. Almost a caricature in the depths of this self imposed negative stigmata you believe about yourself.

Stephen Hawking was successful and able to pick up. Think about it.