• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Scared of serotonin syndrome? please help

DrugsInc

Greenlighter
Hello I take zoloft everyday 50mg so far I've been on it for a week. I just took 50mg focalin in the past 4 hours(40mg in the last hour) plus a 20 mg adderall xr ten minutes ago. Is there a chance that I could get serotonin syndrome because of this? right now I just feel anxious and nervous but no euphoria from any drugs. I smoked weed way earlier in the day about 9 hours ago so I doubt there is any lingering effects from that. Also what symptoms should I look for in serotonin syndrome? I also need to look sober in front of my parents. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Please don't take a mixture of drugs and THEN post a question about the safety of it....yes this mixture could be dangerous although I don't know much about those dosages, you should probably get someone to keep an eye on you or go get medical help....not sure how old this post is, are u OK?

Both adderal and focalin act primary on dopamine and norepinephrine, but iirc adderal does release serotonin as well, so combining those with zoloft is a bad idea, don't do it again
How're you feeling now ?

What is serotonin syndrome (SS)?
SS or better serotonin toxicity is a consequence of the buildup of serotonin in the synaptic cleft leading to an overstimulation of both peripheral and central postsynaptic serotonin receptors, 5HT-2A receptors being the most important ones. This results in a number of different and possibly life threatening symptoms. So if you think you or a friend suffers from SS call an ambulance now!

What causes SS?
Serotonin syndrome can occur via the therapeutic use of serotonergic drugs alone, an overdose of serotonergic drugs, or classically, as a result of a complex drug interaction between two serotonergic drugs that work by different mechanisms. A multitude of drug combinations can result in serotonin syndrome.

What are the symptoms?
The symptoms of serotonin syndrome usually present within 6 to 8 hours and most likely within 24 of overdosing or combining serotonergic drugs and can be barely noticeable to fatal.

Autonomic effects include:
- Nausea
- Diarrhea (with hyperactive bowel sounds)
- Headache
- Sweating
- Shivering
- Tachycardia
- Rise in blood pressure
- Rapid breathing
- High pulse
- Mydriasis

Somatic effects include:
- Muscle twitching
- Tremor
- Hyperreflexia
- Akathisia
- Ocular clonus (slow continuous lateral eye movement)
- Increased muscle tone (lower limb>upper limb)

Cognitive effects include:
- Confusion
- Hallucination
- Agitation
- Restlessness
- Anxiety
- Delirium
- Coma