• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Safety of Re-Using Micron Wheel Syringe Filter

arthunter888

Bluelighter
The specific filter I have is a Whatman 25 MM, PVDF Membrane, .20u pore size, sterile syringe filter (Luer Lock end for syringe attachment, Luer Slip end for needle attachment)

picture found here

So last Wednesday I filtered 2 8mg Dilaudids (Purdue brand) and a half of a roxi 30mg (Mallinckrodt) through the wheel filter. These were done in 3 separate shots, each shot using 3mL of high purity water reverse-osmosis water from an RO tank with 5 steps of filtration, so the water was already free of most bacteria I assume.

Before I sent the dissolved pills through the micron filter, each time I did a pre-filter by backloading an oral syringe with a scrunched-up piece of coffee filter and pushing the solution through (that eliminated a decent amount of solid particles). After this, I then pushed the solution through the oral syringe into a shot glass. Then the final step was of course drawing that up with a syringe and pushing it through the micron wheel filter, then into a fresh syringe to IV with.

My questions are:

1) I put the wheel filter back in the original case and taped it shut. It's been sitting at room temperature for a week now. Is it safe to use again to filter some high quality H? Or is it likely that bacteria has been growing inside the filter since it was wet?

2) How do I know how long the filter is safe to re-use? Is it based on the mL of water that passes through it or is it based on time?

My goals are to keep my veins in good shape and avoid any infections from IV use.

Last edited:
If it's at room temperature, and wet, I would toss it after an hour of sitting out, bacteria grows rapidly, and its not a risk you want to take.
You can reuse them for a day, maybe two, if you steralize it, and keep in a cool place, like the fridge.

And yes time is the most important variable on deciding if a filter is re-usable, but temperature, dampness, and sterilization all play a role in the equation. When in doubt, toss it out. But good job on using them!

- Hopeless 7nos

^^ So it seems the best way to re-use a filter is to keep it in the freezer? Don't forget that the filter will be wet and remember that water expands when frozen. Is it possible that the water expansion would 'stretch out' the pores/tiny holes in the filter, thereby weakening the filtering mechanism and making it less effective when used again? What are your thoughts on the subject of water expansion within the pores of the filter?

Would the fridge be a better alternative or is that not cold enough to prevent bacterial growth?

Last edited:
Oxycontin is a safer alternate to heroin as you do not have to inject it and smoking/snorting packs the same punch.

You can reuse them for a day, maybe two, if you steralize it, and keep in a cool place, like the fridge.

How do I 'sterilize' the filter. I'm assuming I make a solution of a certain sterilizing chemical in water, then draw that up and push it through the filter as if I'm preparing a shot?

What chemical would you advise I use for this and at what concentration in water? When sterilizing things I usually use a mild bleach solution, but I'm afraid to use bleach in this instance as (when I use the filter again for a shot) there could be remnants of the bleach left over in the filter even if I rinse thoroughly. IIRC, injecting bleach can/will cause all kinds of problems including blindness (I would have the same concern with rubbing alcohol)..

How about a diluted peroxide solution? Peroxide is technically safe to ingest in small amounts, much more than bleach or rubbing alcohol.

Thoughts on what to use as a solution? ... thanks in advance